Thread: Offering water to shivling

Offering water to shivling

Hello, is it adequate to offer natural mineral water to shivling, considering the fact that it could have been processed in some form before being bottled and commercialized? I'm aware that pasteurized milk is unfit for shivling puja, but not sure if this also applies for water.
    In case commercial water is unfit, should I get the water from a natural course of water near my home?

Thanks.

Re: Offering water to shivling

Quote Originally Posted by Ale View Post
    Hello, is it adequate to offer natural mineral water to shivling, considering the fact that it could have been processed in some form before being bottled and commercialized? I'm aware that pasteurized milk is unfit for shivling puja, but not sure if this also applies for water.
    In case commercial water is unfit, should I get the water from a natural course of water near my home?

Thanks.
    Namaste...

For years before my temple built its goshala, the priests used commercial milk for all abhishekams, including the lingam. I saw it delivered by cases. Commercially sold raw milk is illegal in my state, so I'm more than confident that the milk was pasteurized. Water is from the municipal supply, from hoses and pipes running into the sanctums. Given that, I'd say your method is acceptable.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hi, Jainarayan

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious, what tradition are you following? Do you follow Smartha tradition of Shankaracharya? Or do you follow a theistic Vedic Vaishnava or Agamic tradition?
    I'm aware there may be different approaches, as in the (ultimately) non-theistic tradition of Shankaracharya, these things may not be given importance, as per the mayavada theory, the cosmic order is rejected as an illusory mental projection.
    But in mystical science of agamic philosophies (either it is the dualistic Saiva Siddhanta, the qualified monistic of Nath Sampradaya and Veerashaiva or the non-dualistic Kashmir Saivism, Shakta Tantrism and monistic version of Saiva Siddhanta) with a more theistic approach, the cosmic order is considered as real and these details are given importance.

Hi, Jainarayan

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious, what tradition are you following? Do you follow Smartha tradition of Shankaracharya? Or do you follow a theistic Vedic Vaishnava or Agamic tradition?
    I'm aware there may be different approaches, as in the (ultimately) non-theistic tradition of Shankaracharya, these things may not be given importance, as per the mayavada theory, the cosmic order is rejected as an illusory mental projection.
    But in mystical science of agamic philosophies (either it is the dualistic Saiva Siddhanta, the qualified monistic of Nath Sampradaya and Veerashaiva or the non-dualistic Kashmir Saivism, Shakta Tantrism and monistic version of Saiva Siddhanta) with a more theistic approach, the cosmic order is considered as real and these details are given importance.
    Namaste Ale...

I'm just a "village Hindu", primarily Vaishnava, as Krishna is my ishta-devata and whom I do puja for. I visit all the shrines and sanctums at temple, whether Vaishnava, Shaiva, or Shakta. I shy away from philosophy and thinking too much about it anymore. I got too carried away with it and drove myself nuts.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Jaynarayan ji
    Nice to know, same with me. I've been following Shankaracharya's Advaita Vedanta for 3 years.
    Few months ago, due to some kind of shakti that awoke in me as result of tapas generated after 1 year of practicing brahmacharya/celibacy, which started protesting against the philosophical views I was holding.
    I've realized that if one tries to isolate the Supreme from His inherent Shakti through intellectual efforts and abstract thinking, sooner or later he will end up in a state of devastation and inner desolation which is not healthy. So I decided to change to a more pragmatic and mystical approach of spirituality.

Namaste,
    Hi, Jainarayan

Sometimes, I wonder why new entrants to Sanatan Dharma get into such complexities and why can't they start just a born Hindu ? What I mean to say is that first of all respect all doctrines without identifying yourself with anyone path in the beginning. Try to understand all the paths and their requirements and traditions giving yourself sufficient time. Then choose the path that suits you instead of first choosing the path and then trying to mould yourself to suit the path which imo is not natural.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Hi devotee,
    You're right, but I'm not new to Sanatana Dharma. I've been for 3 years, mainly interested in the intellectual tradition of Adi Shankaracharya, trying to attain jnana by reading texts (this was my mistake).
    It seems to me that the approach of Advaita Vedanta is to neutralize, annul and supress the seeker while in the process of seeking, which in my experience, didn't lead to happiness but sorrow, lethargy and iddleness.
    Fortunately I've found a much more healthy, practical and life affirming approach in the agamas, in which the world is not rejected as illusion and instead of annuling the seeker, it gradually takes him/her to higher and higher levels to the point where the Divine reveals Himself.

Thread Information