Thread: Adding a Murti to one's home shrine

Adding a Murti to one's home shrine

Namaste,

I'm new to Sanatana Dharma and HDF.

I have a question (I tried searching for similar questions but didn't find any):

When one has bought a murti statue (of for instance Lord Ganesha) and wants to add it to one's shrine is there any necessary steps like a blessing ritual or something like that, before the murti is ready for puja?

I apologise if the question is not clear enough.

Thank you.

Re: Adding a Murti to one's home shrine

Namaste Allan...

There is a ritual to "install" a murti, done by a pujari (priest), but I think few people do it in home shrines. If you do it, it requires special care and rituals to be performed on a regular basis. I think most people simply put the new murti, or picture in the shrine and treat it respectfully with puja, offerings, etc.. I have a (probably bad) habit of moving, adding and removing murtis in my shrine but I try to do so respectfully and lovingly. So far it's been about a month that I haven't made any changes, but I can feel it coming on. I think you'll be OK just adding it. the gods know our intentions.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste Allan...

There is a ritual to "install" a murti, done by a pujari (priest), but I think few people do it in home shrines. If you do it, it requires special care and rituals to be performed on a regular basis. I think most people simply put the new murti, or picture in the shrine and treat it respectfully with puja, offerings, etc.. I have a (probably bad) habit of moving, adding and removing murtis in my shrine but I try to do so respectfully and lovingly. So far it's been about a month that I haven't made any changes, but I can feel it coming on. I think you'll be OK just adding it. the gods know our intentions.

Namaste Jainarayan and thank you for the reply!

Namaste Allan,

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    When one has bought a murti statue (of for instance Lord Ganesha) and wants to add it to one's shrine is there any necessary steps like a blessing ritual or something like that, before the murti is ready for puja?
    When you bring in new Murti for pooja, there is a ritual before Pooja can be started. You should invoke the deity to come and reside in the Murti for accepting your pooja. That can be done by a priest or even by you. If you don't know the ritual and the proper mantras, you may just focus on the deity and pray to him to come and reside in the Murti that you brought home.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Allan,

When you bring in new Murti for pooja, there is a ritual before Pooja can be started. You should invoke the deity to come and reside in the Murti for accepting your pooja. That can be done by a priest or even by you. If you don't know the ritual and the proper mantras, you may just focus on the deity and pray to him to come and reside in the Murti that you brought home.

OM
    Namaste devotee,

Thank you for the reply.

Thread Information