Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why should I learn the vedas?

Re: Why should I learn the vedas?

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

The first issue is who should read ? Scriptures lays many restrictions that we do not follow. Few may object my views, I am not a scholar in this subject to defend my views technically. But will be glad to explain, most probably will convince you too. That said,

One should learn because
    1) To understand Hinduism
    2) To debunk the myths around Hinduism
    3. If you are Indian and wish to contribute to the success of India, it is a MUST.
    4. To safeguard your children from false propaganda about Hinduism and Hindu core principals. The chances of our children brain washed by Black and Green book is VERY VERY HIGH in the present world.
    5. To achieve spiritual maturity
    6. To attain peace of mind
    7. To feel good.

As I know that you can understand Tamil, the best place to start is Naalaira Divya Prabandam along with its commentary. When you are done with it, you can look for Tamil translations if any, will suggest you to go with mother tongue explanation.

It may take years to say one has learned Veda. Good Luck.

Best Regards

Oh, yes, Nalayira Divya Prabandham is termed 'Dravidian Veda', is it not? Sure, it would convey the same contents as the Sanskrit Veda. I'll look into that direction as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thank you for the reply, Anirudh.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

In her first post Viraja talked about Rig Veda. Rig Veda is the source of all scriptures. Sure, we lost the ability to understand it. But there are wise ones who reveal the secret, one is Sri Aurobindo. Contemporary writers are found on boloji.com.

Who is interested how Rig Veda permeates the scriptures should search for ‚Rig Veda‘ in the search field on boloji and will be surprised.

To read Rig Veda will definitely not lead people away from Sanatana Dharma but will lead them deep into the cosmic mystery. Something the green and the black book cannot provide!

Deepali Bhattacharjee:
    The Sanatan Dharma of today varies greatly from the earliest form of this religion. The source for the earliest form of this religion is the Rig Veda which is the oldest of the Vedas so sacred to the Hindus.

Changing times have put a veil on the lost religion of the Rig Veda and we have now lost track of the pristine religion of the Aryans. Maybe this is an indication that we have lost a part of our culture.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=14748

And one appetizer to dive into the Rig Veda combined with Mahabharata.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=11954

Pranam
    Truly excellent links. I'm very interested in the 2nd link that relates events of Mahabharatha with the Rig Veda. Thank you IndiaLover.

Namaste

The Rig Veda – the eternal knowledge - was revealed to the Rishis in immemorial times. Rishis felt the vibration of the cosmic sound and turned it into hymns. Rishis were seers, not composers.

Nalayira Divya Prabandham is composed by the Alwars. The Alwars were saints, mystics, poets.

Rig Veda is a seed, Divya Prabandham is a flower.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Oh, yes, Nalayira Divya Prabandham is termed 'Dravidian Veda', is it not? Sure, it would convey the same contents as the Sanskrit Veda. I'll look into that direction as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thank you for the reply, Anirudh.
    NDP has the same content. Both Srimad Vaalmiki Ramayana and Srimad Mahabharata too have the same content. My sincere and humble suggestion would be to go for NDP first. It sets it up nicely.

Out of my own experience, I am saying the following. Srimad B.G or any other philosophical literature should be presided by preparing our mind to it. Unlike many of the mammals we Humans take minimum 12 to 14 months to stand on our feet. When I was reading Sri Raama Charitha Maanas learned that we need to ask/request Sri Raama Charitha Maanas to enlighten us. Depending on sects we are attracted to, our efforts will be more fruitful if we lay the firm foundation by reading the respective sects scriptures.

For eg, a Shaivite may opt to read Sri Shiv Purana before venturing into philosophy.

I wont return to HDF for some more time.

May Sriman Naaraayan Bless you. In the past you had said you weren't attracted to philosophical read(s), what changed your interest?

Best Regards
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

The Rig Veda – the eternal knowledge - was revealed to the Rishis in immemorial times. Rishis felt the vibration of the cosmic sound and turned it into hymns. Rishis were seers, not composers.

Nalayira Divya Prabandham is composed by the Alwars. The Alwars were saints, mystics, poets.

Rig Veda is a seed, Divya Prabandham is a flower.

Pranam
    Great to know this information! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    @Indialover, I was just going to give some reputation points for this reply, but system says I need to spread more before giving you some... thanks for this wonderful reply and words of encouragement!

Yes, we need to get started somewhere and then if interest be there, we will find our path... true words that!

I wholly encourage everyone to read the veda - the entire version of it whether its Rg, Yajur, sama or Atharva.
    But read the complete veda -
    Samhita
    Brahamana
    Aryananka
    Upanisad

But one warning, beware the ridiculous translations of some authors especially some foreigners...

Thread Information