Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I learn the vedas?

Hybrid View

Why should I learn the vedas?

Namaste,

Honestly I am very interested in learning vedas, that is why this question, "Why should I learn the vedas?".

In other words, with a simplistic mind that is not into too in-depth philosophy, "Can I still glean wisdom from reading commentaries on the vedas?".

Also, "What should I look for, when I sit down to learn the vedas?".

As an aside, I'm reminded of the story when sage Bhrigu kept on learning the vedas, and prayed every time to Lord Indra to extend his lifetime one more time, so that he can learn the vedas. On the 4th occasion, Indra points out to 3 handfuls of sand collected from 3 huge mountains and says, "This is as much knowledge you have gained from the vedas in the 3 lifetimes you got from me as a boon. So what is the point?" and Bhrigu finally gives up his life.

I am planning to get started with Rig Veda and purchase a nice, good commentary on that.

What should I look for, when learning the Rig Veda? I'm curious to know.

Many thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Why should I learn the vedas?

Namaste again,

There is a part 2 for my question above. It is soon time for our 24th wedding anniversary and I was planning to get Rig Veda for my gift!

Given that I am new to philosophy (of in-depth nature), I am a light-reader of sorts, but all the same, like easy-to-understand philosophical wisdom, whose commentary to Rig Veda do you recommend?

Is the following good?

https://www.amazon.com/RGVEDA-SAMHIT...words=Rig+veda

Thanks again.

Namaste Viraja

When I started reading the Veda Sri Aurobindo’s ‚Secret of the Veda‘ was very helpful to get a feeling what this work is telling us. It is much more than philosophy, it’s the Veda.

https://www.amazon.de/Secret-Veda-Guidance-Sri-Aurobindo-ebook/dp/B00408946O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510952043&sr=8-5&keywords=the+secret+of+the+veda

Why should I learn the vedas? For your personal uplift!

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Why should I learn the vedas? For your personal uplift!
    Namaste Indialover,

Excellent reply that! Of course!!!

After you tell me, I recollect this work on vedas (commentary) by Shri Aurobindo is a very famous one!! I will purchase this instead for a starter! Thanks.

Dear Viraja

Sri Aurobindo will kidnap you to a fascinating world.

When reading the hymns keep in mind that the sacrifices took place on Saryanvat where a bird shaped vedi was piled up.
    Later Saryanvat was called Samanta Panchaka where Parashurama eradicated the Kshatriyas.
    After Samanta Panchaka this area became famous as Kurukshetra.

Pranam

Namaste,

Google search provides a downloadable pdf version of Shri Aurobindo's book.

Pranam.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,
    Honestly I am very interested in learning vedas, that is why this question, "Why should I learn the vedas?".
    I'd ask , learn which section ?

• the saṃhitā-s ? – called out as 4, some call out 3. This is considered śruti, or what is heard, cognized in consciousness from our seers (ṛṣi-s)
    • upaniṣad-s ? – 108 of them; see this post i.e. 10 worth one’s study http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...worth-studying
    • the āraṇyaka ?
    • the brāhmaṇa-s ?
    • vedāṅga or limbs of the veda ? there’s 6 limbs recognized
    • the mahābhārata ( called the 5th veda) ? – this is categorized as itihāsa ( thus spoken, or a history) ; the rāmāyana is also included here.

It is an ocean of knowledge; see this HDF post: http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ighlight=ocean .

Where then does one begin if in fact one wishes to pursue such an ocean of knowledge?
    The cream of all this knowledge occurs within 700 verses ( some say 701, and others see this as 716) found in the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā , a section from the mahābhārata.

Yet all this is for naught if not complimented with grooming/cultivating one's consciousness. It in fact is the home of all knowledge; That is why our veda's tell us, knowledge is structured in consciousness.

...as always, do as you see fit.

श्रीशिवाःपनमस्तु
    śrī śivāhpanamstu
    Last edited by yajvan; 21 November 2017 at 06:41 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste

Sure ‚the Veda‘ is an endless ocean … but we have to start somewhere. We have to find our way through the scriptures as we have to find our way throug lilfe.

And as we are guided through life we are guided through the scriptures. If Viraja yearns for ‚the Veda‘ the right Veda will find her.

30 years ago I thought about travelling to India. Should I be deterred by its size and its diversity? No, I just started. Meanwhile I know large India better than my own small country. I froze in himalaya and sweat in tamil nadu. I enjoyed the loneliness in Ladakh and the masses during Kumbha Mela.

If we do not start a journey we cannot make experiences.

I again mention the quintessence of Kena Upanishad

What cannot be … but whereby … ‚that‘ will guide you Viraja! Start reading! Sri Aurobindo wrote his book for you!

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Sure ‚the Veda‘ is an endless ocean … but we have to start somewhere. We have to find our way through the scriptures as we have to find our way throug lilfe.

And as we are guided through life we are guided through the scriptures. If Viraja yearns for ‚the Veda‘ the right Veda will find her.

30 years ago I thought about travelling to India. Should I be deterred by its size and its diversity? No, I just started. Meanwhile I know large India better than my own small country. I froze in himalaya and sweat in tamil nadu. I enjoyed the loneliness in Ladakh and the masses during Kumbha Mela.

If we do not start a journey we cannot make experiences.

I again mention the quintessence of Kena Upanishad

What cannot be … but whereby … ‚that‘ will guide you Viraja! Start reading! Sri Aurobindo wrote his book for you!

Pranam
    @Indialover, I was just going to give some reputation points for this reply, but system says I need to spread more before giving you some... thanks for this wonderful reply and words of encouragement!

Yes, we need to get started somewhere and then if interest be there, we will find our path... true words that!

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    @Indialover, I was just going to give some reputation points for this reply, but system says I need to spread more before giving you some... thanks for this wonderful reply and words of encouragement!

Yes, we need to get started somewhere and then if interest be there, we will find our path... true words that!

I wholly encourage everyone to read the veda - the entire version of it whether its Rg, Yajur, sama or Atharva.
    But read the complete veda -
    Samhita
    Brahamana
    Aryananka
    Upanisad

But one warning, beware the ridiculous translations of some authors especially some foreigners...

Thread Information