Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I learn the vedas?

Re: Why should I learn the vedas?

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I'd ask , learn which section ?

• the saṃhitā-s ? – called out as 4, some call out 3. This is considered śruti, or what is heard, cognized in consciousness from our seers (ṛṣi-s)
    • upaniṣad-s ? – 108 of them; see this post i.e. 10 worth one’s study http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...worth-studying
    • the āraṇyaka ?
    • the brāhmaṇa-s ?
    • vedāṅga or limbs of the veda ? there’s 6 limbs recognized
    • the mahābhārata ( called the 5th veda) ? – this is categorized as itihāsa ( thus spoken, or a history) ; the rāmāyana is also included here.

It is an ocean of knowledge; see this HDF post: http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...ighlight=ocean .

Where then does one begin if in fact one wishes to pursue such an ocean of knowledge?
    The cream of all this knowledge occurs within 700 verses ( some say 701, and others see this as 716) found in the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā , a section from the mahābhārata.

Yet all this is for naught if not complimented with grooming/cultivating one's consciousness. It in fact is the home of all knowledge; That is why our veda's tell us, knowledge is structured in consciousness.

...as always, do as you see fit.

श्रीशिवार्पणमस्तु
    śrī śiv
    ārpaṇastu
    Thank you, I think I was more interested in knowing, "What is the key knowledge of focus of each veda specifically?".

I think I am more interested in the Samhitas.

Thanks for the links, I will go through them.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste
    Sure ‚the Veda‘ is an endless ocean … but we have to start somewhere. We have to find our way through the scriptures as we have to find our way throug lilfe.
    And as we are guided through life we are guided through the scriptures. If Viraja yearns for ‚the Veda‘ the right Veda will find her.
    30 years ago I thought about travelling to India. Should I be deterred by its size and its diversity? No, I just started.
    It seems , and I can be completely wrong, (and accept my mis-reading if so) but you may be inferring I think the ocean I mention cannot be navigated. This was not, nor has been my point of view in this matter. My offering was simple. The ocean is vast, it can be better understood if one has a lay of the land ( in this case the ocean ). That ~land map~ has been given to us in the form of the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā.
    Now does one
    have to use this? That is a matter of choice. Yet it seems ( to me) having a helmsmen to help navigate one's ship is not a bad idea ( me thinks). As I see it , if you do not know where you are going , then any road will take you there.

श्रीशिवाःपनमस्तु
    śrī śivāḥpanamastu
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 November 2017 at 06:14 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste

Yet it seems ( to me) having a helmsmen to help navigate one's ship is not a bad idea ( me thinks).
    It’s a fine idea … the helmsman is (according to Bhagavad Gita) Krishna.

As I see it , if you do not know where you are going , then any road will take you there.
    Not the road will take me there - the helmsman will do.

That’s how I experienced my life and I was reassured that day when my helmsman made me aware of India and the Vedic scriptures.

Guided by Krishna, the kshetrajna, we experience our life, the kshetra. (BG chapter 13). Or in three words ‚tat tvam asi‘. Me and Krishna are one. Who else should be the helmsman? Who else should be the road map?

This is just my view.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Who else should be the helmsman?
    I could not agree more...

yet people will say to me, yajvan I am confused . I see in your posts an orientation towards śivaḥ. Even in your last post you end it with श्रीशिवाःपनमस्तु or
    śrī śivāḥpanamastu1; how can this be?

The logic is simple; kṛṣṇaḥ-jī is Self, Being; śivāḥ is Self, Being - there is no two.

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ

1. śrī śivāḥpanamastu = pray! may this be an offering, a flower (pa) to śivaḥ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

This is not directed to anyone just a contribution which will be full of faults, so please try to over look them.

Vedas we have as the texts the samhitas, which are written in vedic sanskrit, I know nothing about them and due to many advanced people saying that it's very rare that people can understand that ancient language I haven't given much attention to them. In fact I never even attempted to read them, just came across certain slokas and references along the way. Other maybe more naturally inclined and have the right conditions and faculties.

There is however an understanding that vedas are revealed in sound, para vak para vidya which is hearing directly divine sound behind all the conditions that make up Mind or the complete cosmology.

This can be a better to work towards knowing what veda is. Given a choice I would much prefer the experience of that divine absolute sound than learning the sanskrit and the grammar, which could take me all my life but never will give the right type of experience. That's not to undermine the samhitas. I am just speaking practically and honestly about abilities. If anything it's an approach of pure respect.

We all have the ability to reach Self realization in this one life, or at least lay the right foundations.

As yajvan has said one needs to cultivate our present conscious state and develop the right quality of consciousness, this is the main challenge.

Also as indialover said and if I understood right he is talking about antariyami or the indweller who resides within the centre of our being hrdayam. If we are attentive and mindful to our experience then there is a guiding force that always wants to direct us back to Him.

So learning to hear that inner direction and spirit is more important, although He remains hidden most the time and covered by the mind, which is our conditions, pre conceptions, so it's also not easy and requires skill and mindfulness and developing the angas of yoga in the right way.

For each one of us that will be different. I find to ask online to know the right means of attainment vijnana, is a little impersonal, and unless one knows one very well we will be only sharing what works for us, and it can be like trying to put square pegs in round holes.
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 24 November 2017 at 07:30 AM.

Namaste,

As a mellecha, or non sanskrit speaking person, sanskrit is difficult and all the texts associated with traditional vedas are in sanskrit, vedic sanskrit of samhitas and devanagari for others. But that has never put me off, nor should it for anyone else.

I have found great things in the texts. There is a beautiful dharma shastra called the awakening of faith śraddhotpādaśāstra. It describes the unfoldment to enlightenment, because it's a mahayana or greater vehicle it's open to all, the main start is how to awaken true faith or shradha, which is not religious emotional belief, but to turns ones attention towards awakened consciousness. It's one of the most mistranslated texts, and the best one is by Suzuki, Daisetz Teitaro in modern English. I've only flicked through it and got what I needed for the time being.

He makes an important point that when the sages study sanskrit they do very slowly and carefully, and even when one syllable is decoded then immense joy immediately rising in the heart and gives penetrating insight. So it's not quantity, it's quality and that quality is found in our heart only, not in the head.

In the fourth stage of dhyana the dharma chakshu or dharma eye is awakened, this has a cause, or there are causes that lead to development of dhyana. If that is opened then wherever one dips into the text he will see the joyti, the illunimation, the real context which again impacts directly in the heart and true purified intelligence is found. But it's the quality of consciousness that's the key, so there is a mutual relationship between the texts and the adhikara.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Honestly I am very interested in learning vedas, that is why this question, "Why should I learn the vedas?".

In other words, with a simplistic mind that is not into too in-depth philosophy, "Can I still glean wisdom from reading commentaries on the vedas?".

Also, "What should I look for, when I sit down to learn the vedas?".

As an aside, I'm reminded of the story when sage Bhrigu kept on learning the vedas, and prayed every time to Lord Indra to extend his lifetime one more time, so that he can learn the vedas. On the 4th occasion, Indra points out to 3 handfuls of sand collected from 3 huge mountains and says, "This is as much knowledge you have gained from the vedas in the 3 lifetimes you got from me as a boon. So what is the point?" and Bhrigu finally gives up his life.

I am planning to get started with Rig Veda and purchase a nice, good commentary on that.

What should I look for, when learning the Rig Veda? I'm curious to know.

Many thanks.

Namaste

The first issue is who should read ? Scriptures lays many restrictions that we do not follow. Few may object my views, I am not a scholar in this subject to defend my views technically. But will be glad to explain, most probably will convince you too. That said,

One should learn because
    1) To understand Hinduism
    2) To debunk the myths around Hinduism
    3. If you are Indian and wish to contribute to the success of India, it is a MUST.
    4. To safeguard your children from false propaganda about Hinduism and Hindu core principals. The chances of our children brain washed by Black and Green book is VERY VERY HIGH in the present world.
    5. To achieve spiritual maturity
    6. To attain peace of mind
    7. To feel good.

As I know that you can understand Tamil, the best place to start is Naalaira Divya Prabandam along with its commentary. When you are done with it, you can look for Tamil translations if any, will suggest you to go with mother tongue explanation.

It may take years to say one has learned Veda. Good Luck.

Best Regards
    Last edited by Anirudh; 27 November 2017 at 06:27 AM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste

In her first post Viraja talked about Rig Veda. Rig Veda is the source of all scriptures. Sure, we lost the ability to understand it. But there are wise ones who reveal the secret, one is Sri Aurobindo. Contemporary writers are found on boloji.com.

Who is interested how Rig Veda permeates the scriptures should search for ‚Rig Veda‘ in the search field on boloji and will be surprised.

To read Rig Veda will definitely not lead people away from Sanatana Dharma but will lead them deep into the cosmic mystery. Something the green and the black book cannot provide!

Deepali Bhattacharjee:
    The Sanatan Dharma of today varies greatly from the earliest form of this religion. The source for the earliest form of this religion is the Rig Veda which is the oldest of the Vedas so sacred to the Hindus.

Changing times have put a veil on the lost religion of the Rig Veda and we have now lost track of the pristine religion of the Aryans. Maybe this is an indication that we have lost a part of our culture.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=14748

And one appetizer to dive into the Rig Veda combined with Mahabharata.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=11954

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste,

This is not directed to anyone just a contribution which will be full of faults, so please try to over look them.

Vedas we have as the texts the samhitas, which are written in vedic sanskrit, I know nothing about them and due to many advanced people saying that it's very rare that people can understand that ancient language I haven't given much attention to them. In fact I never even attempted to read them, just came across certain slokas and references along the way. Other maybe more naturally inclined and have the right conditions and faculties.

There is however an understanding that vedas are revealed in sound, para vak para vidya which is hearing directly divine sound behind all the conditions that make up Mind or the complete cosmology.

This can be a better to work towards knowing what veda is. Given a choice I would much prefer the experience of that divine absolute sound than learning the sanskrit and the grammar, which could take me all my life but never will give the right type of experience. That's not to undermine the samhitas. I am just speaking practically and honestly about abilities. If anything it's an approach of pure respect.

We all have the ability to reach Self realization in this one life, or at least lay the right foundations.

As yajvan has said one needs to cultivate our present conscious state and develop the right quality of consciousness, this is the main challenge.

Also as indialover said and if I understood right he is talking about antariyami or the indweller who resides within the centre of our being hrdayam. If we are attentive and mindful to our experience then there is a guiding force that always wants to direct us back to Him.

So learning to hear that inner direction and spirit is more important, although He remains hidden most the time and covered by the mind, which is our conditions, pre conceptions, so it's also not easy and requires skill and mindfulness and developing the angas of yoga in the right way.

For each one of us that will be different. I find to ask online to know the right means of attainment vijnana, is a little impersonal, and unless one knows one very well we will be only sharing what works for us, and it can be like trying to put square pegs in round holes.
    Namaste MD ji,

Sure, I understand what you are saying...

What works for me is learning through contemplation. I like to read newer or more in-depth ideas and reflect on them and try to practice them as much as I can.

That said, that is not the only reason I am interested in the Rig Veda. I think it would give a richness of experience that I cannot imagine what it will be in concrete but all the same, leaving me with an anticipation I'm on to something new and novel!

Thanks for your wonderful reply.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Namaste,

As a mellecha, or non sanskrit speaking person, sanskrit is difficult and all the texts associated with traditional vedas are in sanskrit, vedic sanskrit of samhitas and devanagari for others. But that has never put me off, nor should it for anyone else.

I have found great things in the texts. There is a beautiful dharma shastra called the awakening of faith śraddhotpādaśāstra. It describes the unfoldment to enlightenment, because it's a mahayana or greater vehicle it's open to all, the main start is how to awaken true faith or shradha, which is not religious emotional belief, but to turns ones attention towards awakened consciousness. It's one of the most mistranslated texts, and the best one is by Suzuki, Daisetz Teitaro in modern English. I've only flicked through it and got what I needed for the time being.

He makes an important point that when the sages study sanskrit they do very slowly and carefully, and even when one syllable is decoded then immense joy immediately rising in the heart and gives penetrating insight. So it's not quantity, it's quality and that quality is found in our heart only, not in the head.

In the fourth stage of dhyana the dharma chakshu or dharma eye is awakened, this has a cause, or there are causes that lead to development of dhyana. If that is opened then wherever one dips into the text he will see the joyti, the illunimation, the real context which again impacts directly in the heart and true purified intelligence is found. But it's the quality of consciousness that's the key, so there is a mutual relationship between the texts and the adhikara.
    Great, profound thoughts, MD ji! Thank you.

Thread Information