Thread: I back! (ShivaFan) – Thought I would give some Updates

I back! (ShivaFan) – Thought I would give some Updates

Namaste friends and others. I haven’t been posting in a very long time, some of you might know me, some friends, some who despise me, some who love me, some who never knew me, but I am happy to report that I am still alive! Well actually, if you remember me, I am that “Western Hindu” who once regularly posted on the HDF but it’s been so long I thought I would give some updates in the “Introductions” section, sort of like “reintroducing” myself though I suspect many of you have “read my files” if you will. There has been a lot of “life events” that have happened since I went away for a bit, here are some updates:
    UPDATES

* I am now retired! Yes, as of this year, I’ve retired after 40 years in the computer/IT profession. And because of my pension in a lump sum, as well as my 401k and my investments and brokerage accounts, well, I guess you can say I am a multi-millionaire. But when you retire, at least in my case, there is a LOT of paperwork involved. I have several Certified Financial Planners and there was a lot of work involved including setting up IRAs, establishing my Healthcare in retirement for me and my family, insurance in retirement, etc.. Crazy amount of work involved. I also have been VERY busy with deciding things such as – where do I want to live? … what do I want to do (now that I do not have to go to work every day anymore)? … what do I want to do with my “free time” (and what is left in my years, I am now 61 years old but still one nice guy and handsome, too!)? … To tell the truth, I still will be busy with my investments, analysis of market trends, stocks, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, bitcoin, REITs, gold and so on. No, I am not “Mister Scrooge” so don’t think I am like that. Today, so many Americans are also investors, it won’t be very long before many Americans will simply make a “career” of it and all of this has been dramatically enhanced and enabled with the use of computers and advanced software. But as typical with me, I have also been busy with Hinduism and my adventures in the greatest adventure of all – yes, Hinduism! But please do not ask me to be a Guru or such, because I am a Rascal. In fact, that was my nickname, a play on the word Rasgulla which is a syrupy dessert popular in the Indian subcontinent, so a few pujaris and other Hindus would call me “Rascalla” as in rascal.

WHY ARE HINDU INDIANS SO SMART?

* My daughter is now in her 3rd year after being accepted at the University of California, Berkeley. She is doing amazingly well in the sciences and biology, she even works for major Labs now as part of her UC undergrad studies involving grants in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. She must have got her brains from her mother. But all this UC stuff is keeping me real busy, crazy busy, including paying for all of this. Her female roommate is one of the top computer science students (actually, I believe she is in fact the top CS student) at UC Berkeley, this roommate is Indian. My daughter is also a member of the “Indian” wing of an Asian student’s organization for UC, though she is only “half-Indian” (my wife is from India, I am a “white” Caucasian English-Norman-Saxon-Swed mix). A lot of people say, Hindu Indians are the smartest people in the world in the sciences and math. I guess so. That has been my experience. But I am sort of smart too, for an Anglo-Saxon. While I am retired, my wife who teaches just got a promotion! So everything with me and my family has been well!

HINDUISM

* I was pretty busy working to help the Trump campaign during the election, and continued such activity of late, and actually some of this involved Hindu relations with Trumpism. But a new development in my adventures in Hinduism is Sadhvi Saraswati Ji, a firebrand girl of Hinduism that I am just crazy about in terms of her leadership and charisma. I really am a fan of hers in a big way. Never met her, but perhaps on my return to India, who knows? Stranger things have happened, and I have a “knack” (or luck?) in that I have gotten to know a LOT of Gurus personally who came to America since the 1960s/70s, and who knows, maybe I will have the honor to meet her in person one day and she is an up and coming female leader of Hindu Rashtra (Nationalist) movement. I sure hope so, she is a Gopi of our time. She is BEYOND just charming, she is WONDERFUL. And to tell the truth, boys are crazy about her.

* I was once a member of the VHP (USA), back in the days when me and my “best friend” Hindu from the Punjab, Devraj and others were doing work in the USA in regards to the Ram Mandir in Ayodhya as part of the entire Babri Mosque situation. But then, at some point I let my involvement (and membership) lapse. But I am thinking of rejoining and becoming active again. Jai Shree Ram!

* So some are asking, “Hey ShivaFan, are you a Vaishnav now?”. Well, I am a Shaiva with strong Shakta roots (the Shakta side comes from my Mother In-Law). My Ishta Devata is Hanuman, as some of you know, and I am a great devotee of Lord Ram, and actually my relationship with Krishna goes WAY back to even when I first was adopted by Ganapati (Ganesh, in the form of General of the Ganas) as a Hindu when I was 8 years old and thus Saiva roots not Vaishnav. But I am also an “expert” on Vaishnavism due to the 1960s. So of late, mainly due to Sadhvi influence, I now also worship Krishna and of course Radha with great love. My primary “Mother” is Annapurna Devi, however, and always will be.

INTRODUCTION TO THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW ME

* I am a 61 years old American. Yes, I actually know my age, only because I have to as due to all the retirement work, normally I never really bothered with things such as how old your body is. I am not from India, nor am I born of heritage Indian ancestry – I am a “white” Caucasian, mostly English (Anglo-Saxon). I have no caste, no jati – though a famous Hindu astrologer told me I am a Vaishya (hmmmm…) but he also said my daughter is a Brahmin. Go figure. My father was a Mayavadi (impersonalist) and my mother was heavily influenced by Buddhism (Indian Buddhism, not Thai/Chinese/Sri Lankan/Japanese, etc.). I became a Hindu when I was 8 years old, I am born in California, San Francisco was my home, in fact the Bay Area of SF is still my home, I have been to India more than a dozen times (also Nepal), I have relatives in US, Canada, UK, Australia and India. In the early 1960s would visit the Radha Krishna Temple on Fredrick Street in the Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco, and later when it moved and so on. But I was already a Hindu prior to that. Many Gurus were coming to the United States in the 1960s. I actually personally met most of them as well as an American Guru of the Saiva Siddhanta “Church” originally on Sacramento Street in San Francisco who I also knew. So my involvement in Hinduism was extensive early on. I even used to have other kids gather when I was a kid and I would have them do the Surya Namaskar! I was NEVER discriminated for being a Hindu. In fact, people liked me more. But I also started my career in computer science and IT 40 years ago, and that also took a lot of my time. But prior to that and in the early years of my career, I would travel to India a LOT – my job also afforded me vacations of a month long, and in fact some of these adventures in India were for extended periods especially since I built up five weeks of vacation time each year. I have been all over North India, including Varanasi (Kashi) and holy sites such as Vrindavan, Mathura, Puri, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, all over West Bengal, etc., but have never been to South India which I regret. Who knows, I will probably still go to the South. In the early adventures, I even travelled free in some cases, friends would actually pay for most of the expenses but not always. One friend worked for the US Defense Department, he would also travel to India and actually paid for a lot of this early on. On one of the early trips, I met my future wife who was studying at a computer college and I happen to walk into a gathering of the college that was holding a conference at a luxury hotel. She was not from there, actually she was from far away. We just sort of chatted, and actually talked about Rama and things like that, very polite. It turned out her Mother was the same who offered her house to the first US based ISKCON Gurus who came to India in the early years. Her Mother also knew Prabhupad’s relatives. I was never initiated into ISKCON, but obviously I was very familiar, and so she gave me her address so her Mother could give advice on my trips to Vrindavan etc.. On a later trip to India, I actually visited the address so I met the Mother and many relatives. I asked to marry the Mother’s daughter in a formal way. Which was very risky, actually. Sort of bold. But that is how I am. The Father had passed away many years before. It was unheard of. But… after sometime, it was all arranged. I had a formal Hindu wedding, wearing Hindu garments, fires, Hindu priest, etc.. It literally saved my life. Why? Because I am an adventurer. Some of my adventures were sort of dangerous actually. But Adventure Awaits the Brave. That I am.

To this day, some people who loved Hindu adventures and were “partners in spiritual crime” (ha ha) try to find me. I have also Hindu names. But who I am will remain a secret because too many people want to cling to me and relive adventures. To tell the truth, I avoid this. I am 61 years old now, not in my teens and 20’s anymore. But I think you would not know I am 61, because I have had the most marvelous life one can imagine.

I hope I do not cause a lot of trouble. Actually, my wife yells at me if I post on HDF. She doesn’t like me being on the internet. But she isn’t home right now. I am dedicated to my "Western Hindus" to the death.

Jai Hind.

Re: I back! (ShivaFan) – Thought I would give some Updates

Namaste,

Welcome back.

Pranam.

I like this post
    Welcome back

Namaste,
    welcome back!
    satay

Hello ShivaFan ji,

So your daughter is smart and also possesses excellent communication skills like your kind self? Kids get such prestigious job offers as soon as they major from good schools. My son got offer from IBM.

Warm regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information