Thread: dhāraṇā-s

Threaded View

dhāraṇā-s

hariḥ om̐
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Within the practice or sādhana of yoga the are multiple methods or vehicles herein called dhāraṇāḥ1 ( or dhāraṇā-s). For many new arrivals into various practices there is no ‘lay of the land’ on what types of dhāraṇāḥ are possible. I’d like to call out a view in to a suggested grouping I find helpful. For all the dhāraṇā-s they can be with support or without support. This may be new to many as to what is meant by support and I will get to that within the body of the postings that will be offered.

Yet, the purpose/intent of the dhāraṇā-s is to bring the śiṣya (student, practitioner) to śiṣṭa or cultured, disciplined. What is disciplined? It is buddhi ( intellect) that is without agitation (nistimitām), that is the culturing. This is of great import and we can get into why steadying the intellect is of value, but it will lead me off the path of the current discussion.
    That said let me list out the dhāraṇā-s first, then go into each one just a bit in a future post.

• prāṇa – or prāṇaśakti as a useful vehicle that plays a most important role within the body-mind relationship.
    • japa – repetition; most know of muttering of mantra-s; yet too can add repetition of behaviors
    • bhāvanā - ~creative~ contemplation
    • śunya - void
    • urvyā – vastness or extensiveness
    • gādhatā – intensity or closeness
    • mudrā-s – this could be a formation or pose many think of, yet too it is a dispostion of thought or idea that works along with bhāvanā-s mentioned above.
    • āsana-s – postures, yet we’re concerned with the ones that compliment and work along with other dhāraṇā-s for their benefit and execution.
    • kṣobha – this means agitation or irritation ; this too is a competent tool that can be employed
    • vikalpa – thought constructs, yet more of a purer (śuddha) format; this within the purer form is again exercising the bhāvanā - ~creative~ contemplation approach (upayā)

With all these dhāraṇāḥ we look ( as mentioned) to groom the śiṣya (student, practitioner) to śiṣṭa. This is the development of madha-vikāsa or the middle state. The aim of the above dhāraṇāḥ group is this madhya-vikāsa. It is more the recognition then its development because this madha-vikāsa is already there. The dhāraṇā-s are there to help us recognize this perfectly balanced condition.
    Kṣmarāja-ji2 explains that this madhya-vikāsa is none other than saṁvit or Universal Awareness ( Being, pure consciousness) ; that is why these dhāraṇāḥ are highly valued. Hence the intent is the unfoldment/recognition and absorption once again into our own real fullness of SELF.

श्रीशिवाःपनमस्तु
    śrī śivāḥpanamastu

1. dhāraṇā-s – we could say practice, yet a more refined definition is the collection of or concentration of the mind; firmness , steadfastness of mind. The more refined name for dhāraṇā-s is nistaraṅga upadeśa or undistracted instruction or practice. Note that nista+raṅga = out of + field of battle , which infers the thrashing of the mind being pulled here-and-there.
    2. Kṣemarāja was abhinavagupta-ji’s disciple/śiṣya.

Last edited by yajvan; 05 February 2018 at 10:27 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information