Thread: Shiva astottara shatanamavali (108 names)

Shiva astottara shatanamavali (108 names)

Namaste and greetings to all.

I have memorized and begun reciting Shiva's 108 names daily but want to make sure that I am doing it in a proper way. I thought to memorize and begin to learn the meanings behind each name to get a better understanding of Lord Shiva.

However I am not sure if I am using the proper method to recite Shiva's 108 names. For example, am I supposed to pray to another bhagawan before I begin recitation of Shiva's 108 names? Also is there anything I should do while reciting the 108 names? I usually just close my eyes and chant the 108 names out loud in order. I do this once in the morning and once before I go to sleep at night.

Additionally I am curious to know if I get any benefits by having memorized them? I am also very interested in reciting Shiva 1008 names by memory. Does it matter whether I just read them off or memorize them?

Another question I have is how were the 108 names chosen out of the total 1008 names, and why are the 108 in a different order than the 1008?

I have been curious to know the answer to these questions. Thank you for any guidance that you can provide, and I am looking forward to participating in this message board more in the future.

Re: Shiva astottara shatanamavali (108 names)

Hi and welcome <3
    I have memorized the 108 names and began on the 1008...and I will say that it does have very good benefits.
    Because, you get to know Lord Shiva in all of His beautiful facets.
    He's a gem! and when you learn all those names and meanings... then you truly get a sense of Him...and it just makes Him that much more adorable.

Also then Lord Shiva sees your sweet attempt to get to know him.

I usually just sing them out loud by saying Jai Shri _____ and then I would say the meaning.
    Over time I was able to remember them all and the meanings. At night, I would start alphabetically and do them all as I laid down to sleep.

I have seen many many differing lists of 108... the one I liked best was the alphabetical one as it was easier to memorize them for me.

Disclaimer: this is the words of a foolish Shiv bhakt.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Namaste and greetings to all.

...For example, am I supposed to pray to another bhagawan before I begin recitation of Shiva's 108 names? Also is there anything I should do while reciting the 108 names? I usually just close my eyes and chant the 108 names out loud in order. I do this once in the morning and once before I go to sleep at night.

Does it matter whether I just read them off or memorize them?
    Namaste...

I've been at it too short a time (the Sri Krishna ashtottara)and do it too infrequently to have memorized it.

You could/should pray to Lord Ganesha before beginning.

What you can do while chanting is offer flower petals or a pinch of rice or some other small gift at each of the names. I thought about using almonds, then taking them later as prasad. I once saw a set of 108 small silver flowers that one uses. Take from one pile or container, put into another one. But I don't think that's necessary. Just chanting is enough.

I was also told you can read them (which as I alluded to, I have to do), or even listen to them. You still reap the benefits.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

How do I pray to lord ganesha before? What mantra am I supposed to chant and how many times?

Hi galileo...

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    How do I pray to lord ganesha before? What mantra am I supposed to chant and how many times?
    You could use any of a couple of slokas. Once is enough. Before the Sri Vishnu Sahasranama, for example, the priests chant the shuklambara dharam sloka. I use it at the start of my little puja:

ShuklaAmbara Dharam Vishnum
    Shashi Varnam Chatur Bhujam
    Prasanna Vadanam Dhyaayet
    Sarva Vighnopashaantaye

Meaning in English:

"O Lord, who is wearing bright colored clothes, who is all pervading, who has four hands,
    who has a peaceful, joyous face we meditate on you, remove all the obstacles."

You can even say a short prayer in your own words asking Lord Ganesha to keep you japa session free from interruptions. 'Tis that simple.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hi all,

What is official list of the 108 names of Shiva??

Everywhere I look, I see a different version of the 108 names!

For example, what do the scriptures say??

I've been learning this version of the 108 names below but Im concerned now Ive been learning the wrong 108 names!...

108 names of Shiva (from https://www.mahashivratri.org/differ...ord-shiva.html)
    Aashutosh, Aja, Akshayaguna, Anagha, Anantadrishti, Augadh, Avyayaprabhu, Bhairav, Bhalanetra, Bholenath, Bhooteshwara, Bhudeva, Bhutapala, Chandrapal, Chandraprakash, Dayalu, Devadideva, Dhanadeepa, Dhyanadeep, Dhyutidhara, Digambara, Durjaneeya, Durjaya, Gangadhara, Girijapati, Gunagrahin, Gurudeva, Hara, Jagadisha, Jaradhishamana, Jatin, Kailas, Kailashadhipati, Kailashnath, Kamalakshana, Kantha, Kapalin, Khatvangin, Kundalin, Lalataksha, Lingadhyaksha, Lord Lingaraja, Lokankara, Lokapal, Mahabuddhi, Mahadeva, Mahakala, Mahamaya, Mahamrityunjaya, Mahanidhi, Mahashaktimaya, Mahayogi, Mahesha, Maheshwara, Nagabhushana, Nataraja, Nilakantha, Nityasundara, Nrityapriya, Omkara, Palanhaar, Panchatsaran, Parameshwara, Paramjyoti, Pashupati, Pinakin, Pranava, Priyabhakta, Priyadarshana, Pushkara, Pushpalochana, Ravilochana, Rudraksha, Sadashiva, Sanatana, Sarvacharya, Sarvashiva, Sarvatapana, Sarvayoni, Sarvesh, Sarveshwara, Shambhu, Shankara, Shantah, Shiva, Shoolin, Shreshhtha, Shrikantha, Shrutiprakasha, Shubhankar, Shuddhavigraha, Skandaguru, Someshwara, Sukhada, Suprita, Suragana, Sureshwara, Swayambhu, Tejaswani, Trilochana, Trilokpati, Tripurari, Trishoolin, Umapati, Vachaspati, Vajrahasta, Varada, Vedakarta, Veerabhadra, Vishalaksha, Vishveshwara, Vishwanath, Vrishavahana

Here is a different version
    http://www.harekrsna.de/shiva/108_names_of_lord_shiva.htm

Here is another different version
    https://www.thoughtco.com/names-of-lord-shiva-1770461

Here is another version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpspLFibBQ

Many thanks!!!

At almost any temple that I've gone to for Shiva Pradosh puja they use always use this list below. Sometimes the ordering gets a little different towards the end but it's the same names. A very knowledgeable priest that did the mahashivstatri pujas at the local temple I go to uses this exact list when reciting the 108 names.

https://www.drikpanchang.com/hindu-n...iva-names.html

Hope this helps!

Mahashivratri Puja.The environment around is full of spirituality and divine energy.

Thread Information