Namaste and greetings to all.

I have memorized and begun reciting Shiva's 108 names daily but want to make sure that I am doing it in a proper way. I thought to memorize and begin to learn the meanings behind each name to get a better understanding of Lord Shiva.

However I am not sure if I am using the proper method to recite Shiva's 108 names. For example, am I supposed to pray to another bhagawan before I begin recitation of Shiva's 108 names? Also is there anything I should do while reciting the 108 names? I usually just close my eyes and chant the 108 names out loud in order. I do this once in the morning and once before I go to sleep at night.

Additionally I am curious to know if I get any benefits by having memorized them? I am also very interested in reciting Shiva 1008 names by memory. Does it matter whether I just read them off or memorize them?

Another question I have is how were the 108 names chosen out of the total 1008 names, and why are the 108 in a different order than the 1008?

I have been curious to know the answer to these questions. Thank you for any guidance that you can provide, and I am looking forward to participating in this message board more in the future.