Thread: Is devotion to Surya possible?

Is devotion to Surya possible?

Namaste,

I would like to ask a question and would be pleased to hear your thoughts about it. Is it possible to be devoted Surya in hinduism? Is it found within the vedic tradition and are there any scriptures, groups and resources about it?

The reason why I think of being devoted to Surya or the Sun Deity, is because I feel veneration to the powers of the sun; the light, warmth, life-sustaining power. And I see a possibility in it, to be devoted to a more abstract form of divinity. I have difficult in relating to more personal forms of God. I respect hindu dharma very much, so I don't want to do anything offensive or misinterpret the wisdom of it.

I have studied the theosophy a lot, but I miss in it the devotional practices, which are very dear to me.

I am thinking that the spiritual practices could persist of recitation of the gayatri-mantra, doing Surya namaskar, purifying the diet to sattvic food only, meditating on the Sun, simple lifestyle and renouncement to have peace and a calm mind and possible other practices.

What is your thoughts of being devoted to Surya? I would be pleased to hear your thoughts of it, because I am new to santana dharma

Re: Is devotion to Surya possible?

Namaste and Hi Aseeker108,

Its great that you are spontaneously attracted to suryadeva, it maybe from previous connections in other lives. Suryadeva is central in Santana Dharma/Hinduism, and something very ancient( without start or end), in most the traditions and practices the deity of surya will be seen as part of the whole, or that suryadeva exists within all the other forms and all other forms of the Absolute exist in suryadeva, so all success will come from devotion to suryadeva, that success is yoga union with the Supreme.

Devotion to surya deva is included in all of the Hindu traditions in one way or another, suryadeva is related to joyti or light and illumination of the Absolute, I wouldn't worry to much about forms and that type of devotion, if there is respect its enough as our understanding grows there is a seamless connection. Myself I respect and like to learn more about Deities, there is no conflict or adversity, but I am not a daily puja person of any high degree, this can be a personal choice, but what is important is devotion.

I am thinking that the spiritual practices could persist of recitation of the gayatri-mantra, doing Surya namaskar, purifying the diet to sattvic food only, meditating on the Sun, simple lifestyle and renouncement to have peace and a calm mind and possible other practices.

There doesnt seem to be anything lacking from that approach and in time everything will get more clear and deeper, so just keep with what works and inspires you and let suryadeva do the rest, it sounds like suryadeva is your natural and spontaneously arising istadev, what a blessing. its best to just cultivate what is inspiring you and in time things will come together. There is so much to learn and develop, its a whole life time of devotion and realization.

Thank you for your helpful reply As I understand you, its important with patience, which makes good sense. There is no need to rush in to things, because as you said "There is so much to learn and develop, its a whole life time of devotion and realization".
    I needed this kind of reminder of patience, perhaps that was what you sensed. Thank you again, and may Surya deva bless you and everyone

Yes, it is possible to pray Suryadeva. Suryadeva is related to light and illumination of the Absolute. In Mahabharatham, Surya is the father of great warrior Karna. Because of Surya only, Karna got the super powers.

Thank you for your reply Akshaya!

Namaste Aseeker108,

A devout person I know offers the fruits of all his meditation and yogic practices that he performs everyday to Surya deva. He thinks Surya is the most selfless in that he performs his daily routine of illuminating the Universe every single day and also, in the most unfailing manner.

Surya is the guru of Lord Hanuman. If you pray to Surya deva, he, being the embodiment of gnana/knowledge, will bless you with the same, quite immensely. Even in jyotish, Surya is the embodiment of all knowledge.

In the path of Smartism established by Adi Sankara, 5 deities are worshiped daily and one of them is Surya.

Worship of Sun / Surya is termed 'Sauram' and it is one of the 6 paths of worshiping Saguna Brahmam (god with attributes). Thus, Surya worship is in place already as one of the 'Shanmatha' (6-fold paths).

You might explore of 'Panchayathana Puja' or 'Sauram' especially for further guidance.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

yes. Saura is one of shanmathas. Upasana of Surya is very ancient . Sandhyavandana is worship of surya. The tradition is see our ishta or gayatri pratipadya deva in surya mandala and then worship them using the great 24 lettered Gayatri Mantra. The savitr of Gayatri mantra is Surya(Aditya). And then we have Surya Namaskaras with variations according to different sampradays. Those initiated will chant different surya mantras and control their breath during the procedure which helps in nadi shuddi and focus on having darshana of Savtr mandala Chakravarthi - Sri Surya Narayana - the eternal Karma Sakshi(witness of Karma) and main source of life energy. He is pratyaksha Bhagavan. According to Shastras, the sun we see is non other than Lord Surya. He is the only god, initated, non initiated,believer and non believer, devathas and danavas,good and bad every one can see,have darshan,rely upon and serve.

Historically, Sri Rama Chandra worshipped Surya. Maharshi Agastya blessed us with Aditya Hridyam- a stotra which extolls Surya as swaroop of trimurthi,a god who grants victory etc. Surya is the teacher of Hanuman who is a Rudramsa. Sage Yagnavalkya was a suryopasaka. Vishwamitra blessed us with the great Gayatri Mantra. Shiva also worshipped Surya. Shiva blessed us with surya stuti . Sri Yagna valkya also blessed us with Suryastotra.

Arogyam Bhaskarat ichchayet is the word of ancient aryans. Health is the will of Surya(Bhaskara).

Thread Information