Namaste,

I would like to ask a question and would be pleased to hear your thoughts about it. Is it possible to be devoted Surya in hinduism? Is it found within the vedic tradition and are there any scriptures, groups and resources about it?

The reason why I think of being devoted to Surya or the Sun Deity, is because I feel veneration to the powers of the sun; the light, warmth, life-sustaining power. And I see a possibility in it, to be devoted to a more abstract form of divinity. I have difficult in relating to more personal forms of God. I respect hindu dharma very much, so I don't want to do anything offensive or misinterpret the wisdom of it.

I have studied the theosophy a lot, but I miss in it the devotional practices, which are very dear to me.

I am thinking that the spiritual practices could persist of recitation of the gayatri-mantra, doing Surya namaskar, purifying the diet to sattvic food only, meditating on the Sun, simple lifestyle and renouncement to have peace and a calm mind and possible other practices.

What is your thoughts of being devoted to Surya? I would be pleased to hear your thoughts of it, because I am new to santana dharma