Thread: Bhagavad Gita in simple English from Advaita point of view?

Bhagavad Gita in simple English from Advaita point of view?

I'm looking for a simple English translation of Gita, but it should be scholarly at the same time, like it should have word to word translations in both Sanskrit and English. I came across a few, like the ones by Gambhirananda and Nikhilananda but they don't have any word to word translation. Then i found the one by ChidbhaNanda, where each words are translated in both Sanskrit & English but the language is a bit tough for a guy like me who's new to hinduism.

The only Gita which has simple fluid English which any layman could understand and also has word to word translation, is the one by Prabhupada. But im more interested in having a Gita from advaitic point of view.

Thanks.

Re: Bhagavad Gita in simple English from Advaita point of view?

Namaste Red Dragon,

I have also looked for the same thing, not sure there is one online. Understanding the basic meaning of the words is quite important as the closer we can get to the Sanskrit the meaning the better, but this doesnt mean there is one literal translation that will ever truly define what is Bhagavad Gita. Studying the Sanskrit is very important, there are a number ways to go about it. Due to English not always being the best language to translate many Sanskrit or Ancient words it can help to just give some time and read through a few translations. Some type of reflection on the slokas helps. There seems to be stress on understanding what it says and not what it means, there is a difference. When I first started to learn Bhagavad Gita we were taught to memorize certain key slokas. I think my first sloka was 2.7 which became like a mantra and a way of communicating to a higher source ~ Krsna, representing a state of mind at the time, this and 2.14 were part of my main slokas recitation for many years among some other key and ones that resonate personally.

About Srila Prabhupadas Bhagavad Gita as part of a study guide to help broaden the meaning of some of the Sanskrit words that one maybe attracted to.

In the online version vedabase there is the Sanskrit, word for word and the translation. What I have found helpful as an online study with some sanskrit words is within the word for word there are hyperlinks to synonyms page where that word or a similar Sanskrit word was translated through out the whole of the translated works. For example this a link on yoga

https://www.vedabase.com/en/synonyms...s&translation=

I use it as a type of thesaurus just to give some more depth in meaning, then with repetition of learning the Sanskrit you can read more than one commentary without to much fuss or controversy.

https://www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in...nsutra_value=1
    This website by IIT Kanpur has commentaries of different acharyas,translations of commentaries and also normal translations of shlokas.
    I hope this answer will help you.

Namaste Red Dragon,
    You may try Publication from Gita Press, Gorakhpur. Though it is not really Advaitic but you will get correct word by word translation and translation of the whole verse. Don’t go by commentaries as I have found that most of the commentaries are biased by the view of the writer.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Drag0n View Post
    I'm looking for a simple English translation of Gita, but it should be scholarly at the same time, like it should have word to word translations in both Sanskrit and English. I came across a few, like the ones by Gambhirananda and Nikhilananda but they don't have any word to word translation. Then i found the one by ChidbhaNanda, where each words are translated in both Sanskrit & English but the language is a bit tough for a guy like me who's new to hinduism.

The only Gita which has simple fluid English which any layman could understand and also has word to word translation, is the one by Prabhupada. But im more interested in having a Gita from advaitic point of view.

Thanks.
    namaste
    dehe asmin purushah parah.....23/13 ch refers for simple translation of gita saying for advaita point of view .
    if we refer yajurveda...yah asau aditye purushah sah asau aham 17/40 ch.
    it means param purusham and the purusham/ soul is the same .
    jai sri krsna

Thread Information