Thread: Homosexuality in Hinduism

Homosexuality in Hinduism

Hi all,

I am an out and proud gay male living in the UK.

Just wondering what hinduism views of homosexuality are (preferably before colonisation).

I am Smarta and drawn to Shiva Bhakti (If that makes a difference).

Thanks,
    Seeking

Re: Homosexuality in Hinduism

Namaste SeekingpeaceofMind Ji,

Just one question, why would you need any verification from anyone else, people may just give their own views. In general its about finding something higher than just bodily relationships. And connecting equally as spiritual beings. What if someone disagreed because its their personal view.

Better to just find peace of mind in the practices, find your level or morality and keep the rest private and be peaceful with something more internal and stable.

Thats just my opinion. Maybe get to get the full picture you may need to ask every single Hindu which is over a billion

Hare Krsna

"Just one question, why would you need any verification from anyone else"

It's mainly to understand cultural reactions from people. My relationship as Bhakta with Shiva is personal, I personally don't believe the infinite to be bound be
    heterosexual/homosexual - infinity expresses itself in infinite measures and varieties.

I think the discussion on sexuality is a stepping stone to better understanding of our human family, be it Hindu or other.

I take your point though, there may not be a single answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingPeaceOfMind View Post
    Hi all,

I am an out and proud gay male living in the UK.

Just wondering what hinduism views of homosexuality are (preferably before colonisation).

I am Smarta and drawn to Shiva Bhakti (If that makes a difference).

Thanks,
    Seeking
    Namaste...

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing theological in Hinduism against homosexuality. There's even a bit of gender bending among the gods. Vishnu takes on a female avatar (Mohini) to trick the asuras, but she was so beautiful and such a temptress that Shiva himself lusted for her and took her. Their union produced Lord Ayyappa. That's not quite a homosexual union, but it does involve transgendering. So the concept is not unknown. If it were such a shameful thing I'm sure it would never have been put into the scriptures.

Some here may know this, or not because I don't usually bring it up, but I am a gay male married to another man. The US Supreme Court declared it legal about 5 years ago. One person at temple knows about me and my husband, and accepts it as a matter of fact. It's really no one else's business what our private lives are. I don't mean that in a snotty way, just factual. I bring it up only because as a recovered Christian, I was never so "guilt-free" about being gay as I am being Hindu. If we consider the true teachings of Sanatana Dharma, we are not our bodies. Our souls have no gender. We may have been born as either male or female in the past. If Hinduism has been influenced to adopt an anti-homosexual stance it is because of Christianity and Islam. However, one must separate the cultural from the religious in this matter. That's my belief.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information