Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I now undoubtedly accept that Earth is flat (According to Vedas)

Re: I now undoubtedly accept that Earth is flat (According to Vedas)

Namaste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU

Another possibility, with some cool music to go with it. Although not a scientists I tend to go be inclined to accept this more.

Apart from all this and whatever the empirical conclusion is it still does not change the fact the Srimad Bhagavatam is not dealing specifically with the outer manifestation of the universal structure but is a full map of consciousness and revealing the Bhagavat Dharma.

Namaste CitizenOfJambuDvipa,

I dont think its any secret that NASA is a branch of military intelligence, so they will always be bluffing the public one way or another.

Hare Krsna

Namaste,

So I have noticed there are a few replies on here that are absolutely ridiculing the ancient texts our wise ancestors have written down, which were passed down orally beginning from Brahma. Should I believe what some users on this forum are saying about the description of our universe or wise Sukadev who narrated cosmology to Parikshit before his demise? I choose to go with our scriptures. As I have stated before, it is stated in MANY of our scriptures, not only Bhagvatam.

It is unfortunate that some on here think the earth being flat according to the Vedas is a propaganda started from a certain sect of our sanatana-dharma, such as ISKCON. Which is WRONG. Many ISKCON devotees are against the notion that earth is flat, even though is very clearly mentioned that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste,

I would like to see where in Hindu scriptures it is written that earth is flat. This is a new revelation to me !
    In my studies, I have not found in Vedas (including VedAnta) and Bhagwad Gita anything which refute any scientific fact.

OM
    Many various scriptures state that the earth is flat. Some are Vayu Purana, Srimad Bhagvatam, Vishnu Purana, and also in the Mahabharata. Sanjaya describes Jambudvipa to Dritarashtra before the takes place because he wanted to know what lands are the Pandavas and Kauravas fighting for, aside from the fact the Kauravas were adharmic.

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

The interesting linked artice says

Although the Bhagavatam doesn’t explicitly describe the Earth as a globe, it does so indirectly. For example, it points out that night prevails diametrically opposite to a point where it is day. Likewise, the sun sets at a point opposite where it rises. Therefore, the Bhagavatam does not present the naive view that the Earth is flat.

http://www.krishna.com/universe-vedas

Pranam
    The phenomenon of day and night can be easily described on a flat disc shaped earth. It does not mean earth is a globe. Bhagvatam and various puranas all claim earth to be a flat disc of 4 billion miles in diameter.

Namaste COJD,

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfJambuDvipa View Post
    Many various scriptures state that the earth is flat. Some are Vayu Purana, Srimad Bhagvatam, Vishnu Purana, and also in the Mahabharata. Sanjaya describes Jambudvipa to Dritarashtra before the takes place because he wanted to know what lands are the Pandavas and Kauravas fighting for, aside from the fact the Kauravas were adharmic.
    Can you please quote the exact texts/verses which say so. Please enlighten us.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste COJD,

It is unfortunate that some on here think the earth being flat according to the Vedas is a propaganda started from a certain sect of our sanatana-dharma, such as ISKCON. Which is WRONG. Many ISKCON devotees are against the notion that earth is flat, even though is very clearly mentioned that it is.

Its a very split debate some think round some think flat, all thought processes related to Bhagavatam are wrong.

Namaste Devotee Ji

Can you please quote the exact texts/verses which say so. Please enlighten us
    This is a fair comment, as this is a Hindu website lets forget about any secular science for the time being and concentrate on the texts, please provide textual evidence which says the world is either flat or round. Lets make it interesting and keep an open mind. So far you have just given an opinion and no textual evidence directly from the puranas, which would be the only interest here.

5th Canto is supposed to be esoteric~subtle, representative of spine and astral mind Each Loka corresponding to a chakra in samyama or sushupti meditation. Why would Sukadeva Goswami who is avadhuta in full transcendent have any concerns about the shape of the outer universe. It also cannot be independent of the previous 4 canto where samkhya and yajna are described, why would it then suddenly go into secular empirical canto, that just doesnt make sense, it would be off theme.

It could proceed here much better if the texts are studied, it would be nice if it was done by the texts and lets keep an open mind, im pretty confident the texts will prove that the meaning is esoteric. I am still yet to understand what round or globe has to do with spiritual understanding, Bhagavatam is not a secular subject, its about the Bhagavat, the pure devotee, so does that mean that were trying to decide if the pure devotee Maha Bhagavata is round or flat. It would be nice however to have a page where these parts would be examined a bit better. Normally I go through the texts quite slowly and use them as inner reflection and individual discovery, all I can detect is that comology of the puranas and yoga systems are about the science of being, I have not found anything externally scientific that relates to geography and cosmography, geography and cosmography maybe very interesting sciences by themselves but thats not the subject of 5th canto .

Namaste,
    As others have requested, please quote exact verses/sutra from vedic scriptures where it says the earth is flat.

In fact we know the opposite from scriptures as in vedic scriptures the universe is called 'brhamanda’ the word is made up of two brahm-anda. This anda is literally translated as egg. So literally brhamanda is egg shaped universe.
    satay

Namaste

Reading Agni Purana I found a flat earth mentioned - albeit in a different context

Destruction

Periodically pralayas (destructions) take place. A destruction comes at the end of four thousand yugas on earth. For a hundred years there are no rains and there is widespread drought. Therafter, Vishnu uses the rays of the sun to drink and dry up all the waters that there are on earth. Seven different appear in the sky and they burn up the three worlds of heaven, the earth and the underworld. The earth becomes as flat as the back of a turtle. The breath of the great snake (Shesha) also serves to burn up the three worlds.

Source http://www.onlinedarshan.com/puranas/puranas.asp?id=5&page=20

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfJambuDvipa View Post
    Hello all,

I have been DEEP into various Vedic scriptures, scouring for ANY and ALL information regarding the shape of our Earth. I have always been a skeptic of anything scientists and NASA have put out regarding our solar system, the universe, and most importantly, our Earth. I am of Indian origin, born and raised in America. So naturally, the education system here pushes out the words of NASA as the true gospel and I was forced to accept this to advance in the system here. I grew up hearing from my father that the moon landing was false and that it was impossible for any humans to go there due to what our scriptures prescribe, so I have always been a skeptic regarding the lunar missions. When the first images of Mars came out in the mid-2000s, I was in junior high school and I recall turning to my friend and saying, "those are CGI images". All of this was WAY before the whole Flat Earth hype that rose up a few years ago.

When the whole Flat Earth hype started, I was immediately drawn to this notion due to my obscure memories of reading something similar in the 5th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam many years ago. I watched HOURS of videos about Flat Earth on YouTube and was convinced that NASA is deceiving us and that the Earth CANNOT be a globe since we observe it as a flat plane. But before I could jump into any conclusions, I wanted to see what our ancients had to say, as I regard the Vedas as absolute truth and knowledge.

In the 5th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam, there is a very detailed explanation of our universe and the flat earth-disc that we live on. In the Mahabharata, Sanjaya explains Jambudvipa and Bharata Varsha in details to Drthrastra. In the Vayu Purana, Suta gives great details of the universe and our flat earth as well. I am convinced that we live on a flat plane that is a part of a much bigger earth. So-called Hindu scholars have suggested that Jambudvipa and Bharata-Varsha are allegorical languages talking about modern-day India in geographical terms. But that is WRONG. I would like to hear some of your thoughts regarding this, in my opinion, a very important subject.
    Namaste
    dont talk un authentic pl , no Veda reveals such thing and no observation is fool proof of any assumption .
    refer to admin he says that travelling a flat object in universe may become round after like shiva lingam .
    JSK

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste

Reading Agni Purana I found a flat earth mentioned - albeit in a different context

Destruction

Periodically pralayas (destructions) take place. A destruction comes at the end of four thousand yugas on earth. For a hundred years there are no rains and there is widespread drought. Therafter, Vishnu uses the rays of the sun to drink and dry up all the waters that there are on earth. Seven different appear in the sky and they burn up the three worlds of heaven, the earth and the underworld. The earth becomes as flat as the back of a turtle. The breath of the great snake (Shesha) also serves to burn up the three worlds.

Source http://www.onlinedarshan.com/puranas/puranas.asp?id=5&page=20

Pranam
    Namaste Indialover Its hard for me to type at the moment. The above is not about the external earth but the element earth that appears in consciousness. If you could provide sloka and sanskrit its a bit easier to go through. This is an internal destruction of the lokas or spheres that cover the Atma. Kurma is an important and interesting avatar. kurma avatar is situated in vishuddha chakra and is amphibious because he can live on both land and water without efffort, land being saguna and water as nirguna. Harih Om

On a side note the flat earth round earth debate was apparently started as a spoof by some people in Oxford University and it went viral and the rest is history. If any one buys into the debate that the Vedas or Shastras are about flat or round earth then they are part of falling for the joke.

Thread Information