Thread: Appropriate Placement of Goddess Uma Figure

Question Appropriate Placement of Goddess Uma Figure

Greetings!

Let me first express appreciation to the moderator(s), for allowing me access to this wonderful forum.

Allow me to introduce myself, very briefly, as an American—not of Indian descent but someone who has tremendous appreciation for other cultures, including those of India.

Would it be considered culturally appropriate, from either a Hindu or Nepalese perspective, to situate a figure of the Goddess Uma in a bedroom—or would this be taboo?

This is the question to which I am seeking an answer, the question that drove me to this forum. If this is not the most appropriate subforum here for posting the question, perhaps someone could offer me guidance in this regard.

As you may infer, there is a back story to this question but rather than take up time and bandwidth by going into that, I will stop here for now.

Re: Appropriate Placement of Goddess Uma Figure

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

Normally devotees have an alter in a corner of the house, or if possible in a 'home temple' in a designated room of the house; and the deities reside on that alter. However some people may use them as art pieces and put them all over the house. It is all a matter of the level of devotion a person has in his heart and the devotion leads to deeper connection with the Divine. So, the choice is yours to make.

Pranam.

Smile Re: Appropriate Placement of Goddess Uma Figure

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

Normally devotees have an alter in a corner of the house, or if possible in a 'home temple' in a designated room of the house; and the deities reside on that alter. However some people may use them as art pieces and put them all over the house. It is all a matter of the level of devotion a person has in his heart and the devotion leads to deeper connection with the Divine. So, the choice is yours to make.

Pranam.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so conscientiously to my question. Most appreciated!

Namaste DBinSJ

The divine – in your case the goddess - is omnipresent and all-pervading … present in your bedroom with and without a figure. Thus you don't have to hesitate ...

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste DBinSJ

The divine – in your case the goddess - is omnipresent and all-pervading … present in your bedroom with and without a figure. Thus you don't have to hesitate ...

Pranam
    Thank you so much, Pranam!

Thread Information