Thread: Myself chose a mantra, is this correct to do so?

Myself chose a mantra, is this correct to do so?

Namaste,

It might not be so appropriate to do so, but lacking a so-called 'guru', I myself chose a mantra to propitiate Lord Krishna ('om kleem krishnaaya namaha') and I recite this on a daily basis before the Lord and it forms the core of my prayer.

Now I tend to think skeptically of its so-called material or spiritual benefits (of this mantra I have chosen) because it does not seem so popular and secondly, I have chosen it by myself.

Some people say, the mantra itself does not matter an iota, it is the 'sadhana' that matters. Is this correct?

Do you think my mantra is sufficient for sadhana, for someone like me looking for spiritual and material benefits out of daily practice of the same?

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Myself chose a mantra, is this correct to do so?

Yesterday I am walking, thinking, "We do not hear Krishnaya very often."

So you've answered my question,

I do not think, but I ___Know___ there is boundless goodness and merit from saying the mantra dear Viraja.

With love and peace. . .

Through Japa comes all good, wisdom, all protections. . . Atma Gnana, knowledge of Atman.

Nama Mantra makes us healthy,
    gives all benefits..
    helps us to learn Atma Gnana (as mentioned)

Maybe one would ask- how can Japa make one learned?
    How can it help one to learn of the soul?
    and can it give other knowledge?

What does it mean- knowledge of the soul?
    This is the secret.

It could be explained countless ways, and tell it all.
    One is purifying oneself; one is quieting the mind;
    And any more than this can't or shouldnt hardly be said;
    As it is a personal thing - a relationship with God.

. . .

We can become as wide as the Mantra, as wide as Atman;
    We can fill our mind with the healing sounds of Mantra in sound,
    Which is the Name in sound. . .

. . .

By filling our mind, heart and soul, we become pure,
    We become quiet, and we are practising wisdom;

. . .

The best way to be in life is to be quiet --
    No animal is as noise as humany--

. . .

Nama Japa is like quietness,
    One should not disturb others.

- - -

This is the basic reason for quiet.

. . .

And peace and quiet, this is "worldly wisdom"

. . .

It's said, "No talk of the material world,"
    So should we even worry about it?
    . . .

Guru says no; Shastra says no,
    Is it hard to be renounced?

. . .

The realization of the Self,
    Leads one to be impervious,
    Not attached, free and above,
    The "world" and all else thereof.

[QUOTE=Viraja;131910]Namaste,

It might not be so appropriate to do so, but lacking a so-called 'guru', I myself chose a mantra to propitiate Lord Krishna ('om kleem krishnaaya namaha') and I recite this on a daily basis before the Lord and it forms the core of my prayer.

Now I tend to think skeptically of its so-called material or spiritual benefits (of this mantra I have chosen) because it does not seem so popular and secondly, I have chosen it by myself.

Some people say, the mantra itself does not matter an iota, it is the 'sadhana' that matters. Is this correct?

Do you think my mantra is sufficient for sadhana, for someone like me looking for spiritual and material benefits out of daily practice of the same?

Thanks,

Viraja[/QUOT
    namaste
    sada pashyanti suryah vishnoryat Paramam padam , diviva chakshuratatam ..Rigveda says.
    how lord Krsna says..sankhyayogo prathak na pravdanti panditah.
    when body is engaged in prescribed duty and atmaa to Brahman , nothing remains due to perform .
    JSK

Namaste,
    Dutta's answer is very nice.
    Further, what is popular is not important,
    It's most important if it brings benefit.
    Whatever mantra is good for you --
    Is it better to chant your mantra
    100,000 times, or another one,
    only 500 times? Certainly best
    To chant what feels right.
    Also consider that you
    are yourself Atman.
    Namaste, blessings.

6. Re: Myself chose a mantra, is this correct to do so?

Namaste Viraja
    Why are you skeptical about the material or spiritual benefits? They are parts and parcels of sadhana and provide a framework to guide you in your progress. Without those siddhis how would you know if your sadhana is progressing in the right direction or not? I myself practiced Hare Krishna nama mantra for 2 years but didnot personally find any benefit out of it whether in my consciousness or materially so to speak. I started Kleem Krishna and realized it works, Now people might ask whether or not siddhis constitute encumbrance in the path of spirituality but thats not the point. The point is they help you gauge your progress. If you were studying in a class of 100 how would you know if you topped the class unless there is a grading system? And just because you got a 100/100 doesnt mean the rest 99 students can accuse you of being "materialistically" driven just because they couldnt top the score-gate? So please stop censuring yourself. Krishna and Kleem have no difference. they are one and the same. You dont need a guru in this age of ignorance and deception and manipulation. I have seen 70plus people who call themselves "shuddha" bhaktas of Krishna and end up marrying 16 year olds and give justifications from Manu smriti to it. Please understand in this age of manipulation the so called gurus will want you to think lowly of yourself and highly of themselves and manipulate you into becoming their slave in their cult.. If you read Uddhava gita krishna talks of 24 gurus! Gurus need not be in a physical plane. Ekalavya had Drona as a guru mentally and spiritually! Good luck and continue with your sadhana. Leave all doubts on the feet of Krishna

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by ADITYA_HYDSPIRITUALITY View Post
    I have seen 70plus people who call themselves "shuddha" bhaktas of Krishna and end up marrying 16 year olds and give justifications from Manu smriti to it.
    So true. Many a lay people associate dhoti/tilak/mechanical chanting combination with the person being "shuddha". Among their ranks, there are many rotten apples.

Quote Originally Posted by ADITYA_HYDSPIRITUALITY View Post
    Please understand in this age of manipulation the so called gurus will want you to think lowly of yourself and highly of themselves and manipulate you into becoming their slave in their cult..
    They try to tell you that they are 'shuddha' and therefore rate higher than you - a (mere) householder - and then live off and travel around the world with donations/guru-dakshina from your hard earned money.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 15 July 2019 at 02:03 AM.

Thread Information