Thread: I believe in Lakshmi, just quietly

I believe in Lakshmi, just quietly

Hello everybody,

Im a mass going Roman Catholic, however I have a slight difficulty: I believe in Hinduism. By that I mean that I believe in reincarnation, the existence of God, that a personal experience of God is possible and that Ganesha and Lakshmi answer my prayers (for reasons unclear to me).

I feel an emotional connection to Lakshmi and Ganesha. However, I feel like I stand on the edge of a dark wood with a light discernible through the trees. What do I do? Do I try to keep believing in Catholicism? Should I be more honest with myself and and simply worship Lakshmi? Do I turn back or go forward?

I know the correct answer is honesty. But sometimes it’s hard to make that step. I’m an adult, I make my own choices... but it is still hard to do so.

Has anybody else here been through a similar experience?

Re: I believe in Lakshmi, just quietly

you should let go off all thoughts which are making you uncomfortable(like the thought which is leading to exprience of standing on the edge of dark wood.....). IF you feel that you are emotionally connected to Lakshmi and Ganesha, then install them and start worshipping them in your own way(ofcourse when you installthem you should follow some basic rules like respecting them,praising them,serving them etc). If you cannot install them , then install them in your heart and start doing manasa puja(pooja in your heart). Start reading easy stotras like lakshmi Ashtottara, Kanakadhara stotra by Adi Shankara. Ganesha is a wonderful deity who plays a major role in life of every upasaka. He is lord of Muladhara chakra. You can worship him using many stotras like Ganesha pAncharatna, Ganesha Ashtottara etc. however emotions are temporary. So explore them while you are worshipping them. This will help you to become closer to gods and transform your emotional connection to something very strong. Please feel free to ask.
    May Sri Ganesha destory all obstacles in your pursuit of worshipping Mother Lakshmi who is consort of Sri Ganehsa .

Hi Yep,

The easiest and most simple thing to do is just follow your heart and your intuition, deepen your devotion and learn more about Laxmi through devotion, listen to these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWS038tdTk, with devotion and heart, learn more internally, the divine feminine is very expansive. There is a difference between Mother Mary as used in Roman Catholicism, and Laxmi, these things maybe complicated, perhaps there is a pure ancient form of Mary but I do not know much about ancient Pre Romanized Christianity, seems a lot of conflicting information. One is trying to control nature on the outside and one is controlling ones nature on the inside.

There are many people who have to hide their faith/reaiization in some places, its been going on for a long time. But its not a real problem as liberation happens internally an internal beauty Laxmi is key to this, she is a divine form of inner wealth and prosperity, so if you have faith in that then keep that faith, its good you see in that way rather than Laxmi is somehow something to do with outside wealth, outside wealth often causes greed, pride, envy and other problems, within oneself or in the perception of others, so its good to never mix Laxmi with outer fame, prosperity and wealth, only if its given back in devotion, seva, so where is the problem to keep her power hidden, she is only known through that internal devotion, and her boon is to connect to vishnu, who is all pervading, a true universal Being who can expand in any form within ones inner heart, there does not need to be anything external, so it will be OK to keep Him hidden too, He is beyond the material senses and beliefs of religion, these things cant be seen unless there is Grace of Laxmi anyway, even if the outside forms are followed.

Sri Ganesh, He is none different to Laxmi or the divine feminine, in the sense that there is no conflict, he is son of parvati and siva, who are none different to laxmi and Narayana, He comes as meditation, he is dhyana, dhyana removes all the impurities of the citta and brings citta to its natural clear state for full union with Ishwara the inner controller of the citta, the way to fully realise the totality and Oneness of Being, the bliss and absorption, he starts with inner inquiry and eats sweet moments of awakening, often he is seen as the first aspect of Brahman although Sri Ganesh is the start, the middle and the End, combined into one spiritual body, some seek Him for getting ride of obstacles to get money, he has no such powers, but He can remove obstacles that cover the heart to see reality as it is without any external belief and man made ideas.

If you feel pain that the one wayers are a problem, then join the club with many, one doesnt have to go mass to feel and see how they effect the world, maybe its a nice service to just work on the inside within your community and be a role model, a secret agent of Laxmi who is known through quality rather than belief, so no need to convert. In one sense its better to stick with what you know best and work on the inside, unless it becomes unbearable.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 22 April 2019 at 08:16 PM.

Hello Anveshana and Markandeya,

Thank you for replying. I have the space and privacy to worship Lakshmi and Ganesha, would either of you be willing to let me know specifics of how to do so respectfully, or direct me towards a source that would supply that information? These terms and practices may be second nature to you two, but not so much to me. I can do internet searches, but... it is the internet. There is also a local Hindu temple being built and established, but since the community is largely comprised of refugees that don't have many resources it's not exactly ready for... Well, it's still not built yet.

Shri Lakshmi and Ganesha, thank you.

I'd be happy to buy a good book or look at a trusted website.

5. Re: I believe in Lakshmi, just quietly

Quote Originally Posted by Yep View Post
    Hello Anveshana and Markandeya,

Thank you for replying. I have the space and privacy to worship Lakshmi and Ganesha, would either of you be willing to let me know specifics of how to do so respectfully, or direct me towards a source that would supply that information? These terms and practices may be second nature to you two, but not so much to me. I can do internet searches, but... it is the internet. There is also a local Hindu temple being built and established, but since the community is largely comprised of refugees that don't have many resources it's not exactly ready for... Well, it's still not built yet.

Shri Lakshmi and Ganesha, thank you.

I'd be happy to buy a good book or look at a trusted website.
    Namaste "Yep"
    The easiest way to worship Ganesha is through his mantra Om Glaum. The easiest way to access Lakshmi is to worship her through the mantra Om Shreem. Please do either of them atleast 1008 times per day and let us know how you feel. To develop a personal relationship with them you need to read up about them through books like Lakshmi Tantra translated into English by Sanjukta Gupta.
    You need to understand that Lakshmi stands for Shuddha Sattvas. She is the Purest of the Pure and should never be worshiped just as a Goddess of wealth alone. She stands for everything that is perfect. Her name SHRI means the refuge of the whole universe. She is the personification of devotion, goodness, light, fame, compassion, nurture, forgiveness, patience, humility etc. Please read up Lakshmi tantra where She is applauded as the Primal Mother of the Universe without who even Vishnu cannot function. Her exploits have been hinted slightly in Bhagavat Mahapurana. Contrary to what people think Jaya and Vijaya were NOT cursed by the four sages out of the blue. Srimad Bhagavat makes it clear that it was Goddess Lakshmis displeasure over being slighted that led to the misfortune that arrived in the form of the four sages.

SRIMAD BHAGAVATAM 3RD CANTO 16TH CHAPTER VERSE 30
    etat puraiva nirdiṣṭaṁ
     ramayā kruddhayā yadā
    purāpavāritā dvāri
     viśantī mayy upārate

Translation:
    This departure from Vaikuṇṭha was foretold by Lakṣmī, the goddess of fortune. She was very angry because when she left My abode and then returned, you stopped her at the gate while I was sleeping.

Regarding Ganesha. He is the gatekeeper to the spiritual world. Without his grace you cannot attain either Shiva or Shaktis dominion. He guards his mother Kundalini devi who is the essence of this creation. So He requires a different set of worship.
    Lakshmi and Vishnu can be worshipped just with devotion alone that is unconditional love without expectation while Ganesha needs restraint sincerity and sadhana all the three.

Hope this helps

Namaste,

For info about any topic, Dattavani.org is good.

Wherever it is clean, and people are of a helpful nature, Goddess Lakshmi resides there. Life exists by Her grace. She provides both energy and knowledge. She is not just the giver of money.

Holi means life should be colorful. Turmeric water was used first at Holi. Later the manufacture of all different colors took place.
    Light the lamp daily at home or if that is not possible do it at least twice a month on full moon and new moon days; if even that is not possible, do it for 9 days at Navaratri or else, today on Mahalakshmi Jayanti day. We are going to light 365 lamps today to commemorate Sri Swamiji’s trip to the Antarctica. You may light a lamp like this to compensate for the lapse of not lighting lamps at home for a whole year. Giving Deepa Dana is very beneficial. Life’s lamp is preserved by lighting a lamp for God.
    Vijaya Vakya

"Mother Goddess Lakshmi should not be kept on the head because it makes one swell with pride of wealth. We hear of it in a story in Sri Datta Darshanam.
    She gives boons, holds a parrot, and a book.
    The list of top ten richest persons in the world or in the country is annually announced.
    Mother, those who worship you with devotion are contented and hence they are the richest amongst all. Those who realize you, are the wisest. Your glance of mercy is superb. Gaja Lakshmi swaroopa is very auspicous. The 2 elephants on either side of Mother Goddess Lakshmi are mind and intellect, offering worship with abhishekam. Above the 6 yoga chakras like lightning you sparkle and vanish.

Concentrate in Japa. Always meditating, sadhus realize you. She is of a golden hue. Her smile is enchanting. Many come to the ashram just to see Sadguru Sri Swamiji’s smile. We tell your stories, O Lakshmi, please grant us Sat, Chit, and Ananda.

Bhajan: Bettada taye Chamundi
    Bhajan: Jagagala
    Bhajan: Jai kapeesa"

Have a great day,

Jai Sri Hari

Namaste Yep,

By keeping your faith internal, in certain circumstances is advised in Bhagavad Gita, where people may not be receptive to your devotional practices, some in your congregation may not agree with your internal faith and may try to alter it due to their beliefs, so its best to guard these things as strength grows, if one is in good sangha then its not a problem, there has to be careful discernment about these things. That was my simple point, but you sound well equipped and its good you have your own space.

I would say this site is as good as any internet searches, because on this forum many things are spoken by devotees who hold knowledge in the hearts and express from devotion and realization, use both a tools for learning, it is also recommended to speak with living devotees. On the top bar if you havent found it or seen it there is a search option and a advanced option to make it more specific, just type in sri, laxmi and devi, vaishnava devotion and related interests to gain a more indepth understanding of sri~devi and ma. The same can be done with Ganesh Ji too.

Sri is all pervading in all traditions and practices, devi is one, although manifesting diversely, some are fierce and often frightening to protect he dharma Durgam Kali Ma and others when its more internal are softer and more in beautified states, and often devi is sometimes being given a higher place than Vishnu, as she can control even Vishnu, Srimati Radharani controls Krsna with her bhakti, these are beautiful lila's.

For a stronger lineage maybe some learning of Sri Sampradaya of Ramanuja is a good place to start as they have valid heritage, Sri and Vishnu cant be separated so to know one is to know the other simultaneously. But dont overburden yourself with to much and to many sources to quickly, just take what you naturally grow into, Ma is above any measurement, she is the power of devotion the divine shakti. Understanding Ma/Sri/Devi is the essence of perfection and she is unlimited, it all flows and interweaves with each other eventually.

Sri is mostly dedicated within the Vaishnava Bhakti traditions, where she plays a the key central role, you may come across some distinction between Vaishnava and Shiva traditions and difference in opinion between Vaishnava practices and traditions and Adi Shankaras Advaita Vedanta, i wouldnt take to much notice about the differences in opinions on these things because it is said that where ever Adi Shankara spread his teachings on Advaita he was always accompanied by his mother~ma~devi~sri.
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 13 May 2019 at 09:28 PM.

Thread Information