Thread: Can anyone name the pink flower used in garlands please....?

Can anyone name the pink flower used in garlands please....?

Hello to all, I am trying to find a name for the flowers in the attached photo. When I was in India they were grown in many places and used in many garlands. I have found very few images of them in garlands on the internet but really would like to know the name so I can source seeds and grow them.

In the photo, towards the right, the flowers are a very vivid deep pinky purple, with a papery texture that is dry on the growing plant and stays that way when plucked. They keep their colour when dried.

I have looked through traditional Hindu flowers in literature and popular flowers in India plus garlands resources and I can’t pin down a name.

Any help most appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Can anyone name the pink flower used in garlands please....?

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    Hello to all, I am trying to find a name for the flowers in the attached photo. When I was in India they were grown in many places and used in many garlands. I have found very few images of them in garlands on the internet but really would like to know the name so I can source seeds and grow them.

In the photo, towards the right, the flowers are a very vivid deep pinky purple, with a papery texture that is dry on the growing plant and stays that way when plucked. They keep their colour when dried.

I have looked through traditional Hindu flowers in literature and popular flowers in India plus garlands resources and I can’t pin down a name.

The name of flower is Pink Rose. It is mostly used in garland of hindu marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post

For some reason I cannot see any photo/picture, but your description - papery dry texture, purplish pink, mangenta makes me think it is Boganvel

Like this :
    https://www.pexels.com/id-id/foto/bogen-vel-2389469/

Vel means vine. So Bogan Vel is always a vine who has these flowers, never a shrub or tree. It is very popular in India as a decorative/presentable vine covering house fences.
    Last edited by ameyAtmA; 16 August 2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: typo
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

However, Boganvel is never used in garlands!
    I cannot see any attachment to your post, and cannot be guessing. A kind of daisy is used in garlands.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information