Thread: Books about Kali

Books about Kali

Namaste.

Unfortunately there are not books specifically about Kali in italian(my first language)

Would you kindly suggest me books in english language?

Please note that I have no interest toward books written from an academic perspective,I am looking only for books written by hindus that actually worship the Divine Mother.

Pranama,
    Orlando

Re: Books about Kali

Namaste,

Orlando, I don't know any books at first hand, but in my own search for books about hinduism, I've came across some books relating to Kali and Shakta. Perhaps you would like to search on bookdepository.com on entries like "kali", "shakta", "devi" and the like. I have personally bought books through this site, and they seem to have several books of interest in stock. I found books by Babaji Bob Kindler and David Frawley, but have not read them myself. But I don't know if they are of the kind you search for.

I hope this can help you or others are able to. Please do specify further what you're wanting to read, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum :-)

Kindest regards!

I ordered the following book in an italian commercial site:

Perhaps I will have the book in about two weeks

Namaste Aseeker108!

Please do specify further what you're wanting to read
    I wish to read books that talk about Kali from an hindu point of view and teach how to worship the Divine Mother.

I wonder if the following book(that maybe I will buy the next month) is one of the books I am looking for:

Pranama!

P.S:I aspire to have the darshan(vision) of Kali Ma just like it used to happen to Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Namaste.

Unfortunately there are not books specifically about Kali in italian(my first language)

Would you kindly suggest me books in english language?

Please note that I have no interest toward books written from an academic perspective,I am looking only for books written by hindus that actually worship the Divine Mother.

Pranama,
    Orlando
    Sri Mahaganapataye Namah
    Sri Sarasvatyai Namah
    Sri Padavallabha Narasimha Sarasvati
    Sri Gutru Dattatreya Namah

Namaste, dear Orlando,

I am not able to think of any better book than the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, and I can recommend it whole heartedly.

This work has devotion as the underlying central force, and it is full of devotional songs, primarily about Devi or Kali.

Sri Ramakrishna is wonderful, and teaches the full picture very nicely. With use of beautiful allegories, ('When I step into a meadow, I feel like a fish released from a bowl into a lake.') and deep, experiential knowledge, he is an unparalelled teacher.

Besides this, I can't help recommending the talks of Sri Sri Ganapati Sachidananda Swami.

The Mother (Kali), is central throughout his talks.

He talks about all of her aspects, alwaya called as Mother, in so many different names. Anagha, Lakshmi.

Almost any name of God, male or female, there is probably a story or few...

Sri Swamiji also uses literary devices, for instance when he says, 'When birds are singing, Mother (Kali) is there.'

Such a sweet and beautiful statement seems obvious (She is everywhere), but they have a very nice effect, which is to associate Her with the song of birds, and to be reminded of her that much more often.

Namaste
    Gam Gam Ganapati
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2mXQjrK1bwQ

Dattavani.org
    https://dattavani.org/pravachana-malika/datta-vaakya/

Namaste timetraveler!

Fortunately two books about Sri Ramakrishna are available in my first language:

The first book is about his life,the second book is the one you recommend.

Perhaps the next month I will buy both them.

Pranama

Namaste,

Here is a story about the 7 Goddesses, corresponding to Vishnu, Shiva, Narasimha, Indra etc.

Notice how She is primarily referred to as Mother.

The main thing is that She is One, but also has infinite forms.

(Such as these, Brahmaani, etc.)

https://www.dattavani.org/pravachana...i/oct-20-2012/

Jaya Guru Datta

Bhajan: Jaya jaya bhagavati Mangala moorte
    “Yesterday we learned about the death of Chanda and Munda.

Sage Medho continued –

Shumbha, when he heard of the killing of Chandasura and Mundasura and the destruction of the entire army, commanded the rest of the demons thus, “Let the 86,000 Udaayudhas, Kambas, Daityas, Kotiveeryas, and Dhoomravamshas proceed to war!” He himself went to the battlefield also.

Chandika pulled the string of her bow, seeing the great army approach. The sound that it produced made all the worlds tremble. The vehicle of Devi, the lion, also gave a mighty roar. Mother rang her bell vigorously at the same time. Its sound drowned the lion’s roar. Mother Kalika Devi thundered frightening slogans of victory. The demon army that heard these sounds pounced in anger upon Chandika Devi, Kalika Devi, and the lion.

Mother, at that instant was filled with the strength and the determination for accomplishing the mission of God. At once, from the bodies of Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, and the other deities various different energies burst forth. They all assumed the forms of the various deities and surrounded Chandika as her attendants. Their forms, attires, decorations, and vehicles corresponded to their original forms.

Brahmaani, the consort and energy of Brahma appeared there on her vehicle, the swan, holding the rosary beads and the sacred water pot.

Maaheshwari, the energy of Shiva arrived riding the bull, wielding a trident, with her head decorated with the crescent moon, and adorned with serpents as her necklaces and bracelets.

Kaumaari came there riding the peacock, sporting the Shakti weapon, as the variant form of Kumara (Lord Subrahmanya).

Vaishnavi, the power of Vishnu reached there riding the Garuda, holding the conch, the wheel, mace, sword, and the bow famously known as Sharnga.
    Vaaraahi assumed the form of Yajnavaraaha and made her presence there.

Naarasimha Shakti, the divine power of Lord Narasimha wore the form of half-man/half-lion. When she vigorously shook her lion’s mane, even the stars got displaced from their stations.

Aindree revealed herself with one thousand eyes, mounted on the Airavata, suffused with the powers of Indra.

When the Sapta Maatrkaas, the Seven Mothers surrounded Mother Parashakti thus, Shiva presented himself along with the celestials and requested her, “Please do me a favor and kill these demons quickly.”
    Gam Gam Ganapati
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2mXQjrK1bwQ

Dattavani.org
    https://dattavani.org/pravachana-malika/datta-vaakya/

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Namaste timetraveler!

Fortunately two books about Sri Ramakrishna are available in my first language:

I

The first book is about his life,the second book is the one you recommend.

Perhaps the next month I will buy both them.

Pranama
    Sri Mahaganapataye Namah
    Sri Sarasvatiyai Namah
    Sri Padavallabha
    Narasimha Sarasvati
    Sri Gurudattatreyaya Namah

Hari bol my friend. I also had the thought of Devi-Bhagavatam and Devi-Gita.

Devi-Bhagavatam is very lengthy. Even the quotes of it are long, very beautiful.

In thinking about this I looked up songs Sri Ramakrishna, as I remembered the ones in the book were a big point. I only found a couple, but here is one and a short quote.

Pure Love

Though I am never loath to grant salvation,
    I hesitate indeed to grant pure love.
    Whoever wins pure love surpasses all;
    He is adored by men;
    He triumphs over the three worlds..

From Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

A Country Fair for those mad with love.
    Drive me out of my mind, O Mother!
    What use is esoteric knowledge
    Or philosophical knowledge
    Transport me totally with the burning wine