Thread: How often does one perform puja?

How often does one perform puja?

Namaste,

I am new to Sanatana Dharma, and I don't have an altar. My practice so far has consisted of reading and meditation. I don't wish to pray for material gain, but in the Bhagavad Gita, one is verily a thief who takes and does not give something back.

So, may I ask, what is your regular practice? How often should I perform puja? Is it purely up to me and my circumstances?

Thank you for any response.

Respectfully submitted,
    OregonDharmi

Re: How often does one perform puja?

Namaste,

The amount of time that you spend on puja, meditation, learning and reciting bhajans, visiting a temple, studying various scriptures, finding and associating with like minded people, all depends on your passion, your time constraints and your finances. Generally speaking, the devotees perform a puja twice a day - morning and evening. There are no strict guidelines and there are so many different strains of Hinduism that if you ask 10 different people on what to follow, you might get 10 different answers. So, you have to personalise your effort according to your circumstances and your commitment.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDharmi View Post
    Namaste,

So, may I ask, what is your regular practice? How often should I perform puja? Is it purely up to me and my circumstances?
    Namaste to you too.

As Believer said,
    ask 10 different people on what to do and you will get 10 different answers. Sometimes you'll see articles that are extremely strict; another says don't be put off by that. Everyone does have their own way. I do a little puja and aarti, about 15-20 mins., almost every morning before I go out. I've only recently added the aarti at the end of puja. My puja is really very simple:

• Light the oil lamps and an incense stick. I put some gandha (sandalwood paste) an kumkum on my forehead.
    • Pray to Lord Ganesha.
    • Greet all the deities with oṁ sarvebhyo devebhyo namaḥ
    • Invite Lord Krishna and think about Him, getting myself into a devotional frame (he's my ishta-devata, whom puja is done for).
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ dhyānam dhyayāmi
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ āvāhanam āvāhayāmi
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ acamaniyam samarpayāmi Offer a small cup (used only for puja) of water to Him.
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ gandham dharayāmi Put a little bit of sandalwood paste and kumkum on the statue.
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ dhūpam āghrāpayāmi Circle the incense around Him.
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ dīpam darśayāmi Circle the small oil lamp around Him. Offer it to whomever (or whatever) might be in the room.
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ puśpam samarpayāmi Offer Him a flower. I buy 1 or 2 bunches of carnations or chrysanthemums each week, put them in a vase, and pick one for each puja.
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ phalam samarpayāmi Offer Him a fruit.
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ naivedyam nivedayāmi Offer some dried fruits and nuts.
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ akṣatam samarpayāmi Offer some turmeric colored raw rice.
    • oṁ srī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ prārthanām samarpayāmi Say some prayers.
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ pradakṣiṇam samarpayāmi Spin 3 times, yāni kāni ca pāpāni...
    • oṁ śrī kṛṣṇāya namaḥ kśamapanam samarpayāmi Ask forgiveness for any flubs.
    • oṁ sarvam śrī kṛṣṇarpanam astu (Everything I offer to Lord Krishna).

I offer namaskar to Him. Then I do a little aarti. I light a small 5 deepa light and some sambrani, I play the om jai jagadisha hare song from my phone and sing with it. That's about it, maybe 15-20 mins. in total. It seems complicated and involved, but it's really not. It could even be way shorter. It's not perfect, and I'm sure there are things wrong with it, but it's something I love doing and get warm fuzzies from.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

The amount of time that you spend on puja, meditation, learning and reciting bhajans, visiting a temple, studying various scriptures, finding and associating with like minded people, all depends on your passion, your time constraints and your finances. Generally speaking, the devotees perform a puja twice a day - morning and evening. There are no strict guidelines and there are so many different strains of Hinduism that if you ask 10 different people on what to follow, you might get 10 different answers. So, you have to personalise your effort according to your circumstances and your commitment.

Pranam.
    Sri Mahaganapataye Namah
    Sri Narasimha Sarasvati
    Sri Padavallabha
    Narasimha Sarasvati
    Sri Gurudattatyreyaya Namah

I love singing the names of God most of all. I feel nothing is as good as this .

Fulfilling one, to use ones hands, voice and feet, one feels the vibration, of the holy names much more deeply.

Amba Bhavani Sharade

Sri Ramakrishna says,

Chant the name of God and sing his glories unceasingly; and keep holy company. Now and then one should visit holy men and devotees of God. If a man lives in the world and busies himself day and night with worldly duties and responsibilities, he cannot give his mind to God. So it's important to go into solitude from time to time, and think about God.

I agree with above post above me.

Completely, and I would only add Sri Swamii explains how Puja, and indeed all yajna or sacrifice. - is meant for our minds to be focused and our hearts to be purified. .. both of these , but primarily the mind.

Since this is the case, bhajans get another vote from me.

There's nothing like bhajans for focusing and expanding the mind. Each one is a conversation or a description of God, or an instruction. Indeed, every bhajan is an Upanishad.

Shiva Bhava Pada

Anjaneya Gatihivi Neeve

Sri Swamiji on bhajans:

Ashram children and adults, I am giving you all one serious caution. Everyone must come for evening bhajans which are held daily from 6:30 to 7:45. At least attend for 15 minutes. Otherwise stay outside the ashram. You will lose touch with singing bhajans if you do not attend. To develop devotion you are required to sing bhajans. Weekends, it is a must. It is compulsory. Whether you cook and eat at home, or you eat in the dining hall, you are required to vacate your rooms if you fail to attend the bhajans. I don’t need you here, if you do not come to sing bhajans. Bhajans are most important for Swamiji. Attend at least 2-3 bhajans. Saturdays, yes. Sundays also. Many out of towners leave on Sunday, so Swamiji has changed his bhajan session to Saturdays now. For the convenience of livestream viewers from other countries also, this change has been made.

Namadeva wanted rebirth just to sing the praises of God. It is penance. In Kali Yuga it is so easy. Sanskrit words. Powerful seed letters. Bhajans on different deities and on Guru. You praise God through songs. It is only possible here. Students especially, should not miss the bhajan sessions. Girls from the ashrama should not stay out so long for tuitions or other things. They should return home well before it is time to sing bhajans.
    Bhajans here are mandatory. Exam time only you have an exemption.

Ecchata
    Rama Kirtanam
    Gam Gam Ganapati
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2mXQjrK1bwQ

Dattavani.org
    https://dattavani.org/pravachana-malika/datta-vaakya/

Thread Information