Thread: Where is the source of Sita Ji lifting the Shiva Dhanush during Her childhood?

Where is the source of Sita Ji lifting the Shiva Dhanush during Her childhood?

I've been doing thorough research but can't find any source for where this comes from. People are saying that in Valmiki Ramayana it is not mentioned that Sita Ji lifted the dhanush during childhood. But in many Ramayana shows and on websites titled 'lesser known facts of Ramayana', they are saying that Sita Ji did lift the Shiva bow during Her childhood. I need a real source for this, where it is mentioned? Maybe it is in the Ramcharitmanas or Valmiki Ramayana but no one has been able to decipher it or translate it properly? Please help me out. Thank you very much.

Re: Where is the source of Sita Ji lifting the Shiva Dhanush during Her childhood?

Namaste divyanka2111

I also stumbled accross these ‚lesser known facts about‘ websites and had to realize, that they tell stories which are not from the original Epic.

The source is just someone‘s phantasy. There are so many varities of the epics.

I know the tale this way: Sita and her friends were playing with a ball. The ball rolled under a box. Sita lifted this box to get the ball back. Seeing this Janaka couldn’t believe his eyes, he told Sita what‘s inside the box, Shiva‘s bow, impossible to lift. Then Sita declared that she will only marry that man, who can lift this bow.

By the way … there is a Mula Ramayana told by Narada to Valmiki. Valmiki had a story in mind, asked Narada for inspiration and Narada told him of Rama in 100 verses. Out of this 100 verses Valmiki created the Ramayana with 24.000 Verses. Out of this 24.000 verses all other Ramayanas and tales around sprouted. Isn't that great?

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Re: Where is the source of Sita Ji lifting the Shiva Dhanush during Her childhood?

Namaste, thank you for replying. So what I'm wondering is, if Valmiki ji created the Ramayan with 24,000 verses and other Ramayanas sprouted from these, does that mean the story of Sita Ji lifting the Shiv dhanush could possibly be true? It's confusing. What I feel is that it might be true, but because the british and mughals burned and destroyed so many of our sacred texts, ancient universities, libraries, and knowledge, this piece of information is now lost. That could be a very real possibility, but no one will ever know now Sad.

Thread Information