Thread: Dharmayudha

Shantanu Guest

Dharmayudha

The concept of dharmayudha in intrinsic to Sanatan Dharma . It emanates from the lessons of the epics the Mahabharatta and the Ramayana. This means that one has to always struggle in life to make the best of the circumstances that one finds oneself in. This is because Brahman-Nature created by Sri Krishna as the Creator comprises of sattvic, rajasic and tamasic guna gods in our consciousness. To be sattvic, one must stand up and be truthful and honest in all one's dealings. When one does this one creates enemies from the rajasic and tamasic vested interests in humanity. So there is a struggle to retain one's sattvic nature through appropriate responses to the persecution that is mounted upon one from the tamasic elements of society.

That struggle is known as dharmayudha.

Re: Dharmayudha

Namaste,

That is an excellent point. To further elaborate on your post, a sattvic person is constantly involved in dharmayudha as the onslaught from the non-sattvic forces of this world is a constant. It is an unfortunate situation but it comes with the territory and is something that a sattvic person does not have the option to shy away from.

Pranam.

Shantanu Guest

Pranams Believer

That is also how I understand how to be sattvic. The sattvic mind when it has perfected the yoga battles to be totally free of worries and intrusions from the non-sattvic forces so has to take action. But that action is always such that the forces of darkness are only shrugged away as one practices dharmayuddha through non violence (ahimsa) in words or deeds. It takes a lot of effort but the reward is that one loses all one's attachments and ego in the process and one attains freedom/liberation by one's truthful dealings in humanity.

In the past I used to think that we humans are born to be either sattvic or rajasic or tamasic, but now I no longer believe this to be the case. Any human being can change from tamasic to rajasic and then to sattvic guna characteristics through endeavour and perseverence. What is your opinion on this?

Shantanu

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Shantanu View Post

In the past I used to think that we humans are born to be either sattvic or rajasic or tamasic, but now I no longer believe this to be the case. Any human being can change from tamasic to rajasic and then to sattvic guna characteristics through endeavour and perseverence. What is your opinion on this?
    Sorry I missed this post and did not reply in time.

Having observed the changes in people over a period of time, it became evident somewhere along the line that we are not fixed in one mode; we can change our behavior by proactively following certain practices. What is more, even living a sattvic life we do slip up in our unguarded moments and have to pull ourselves back and realign with the positive forces. It is a constant struggle.

Pranam.

Thread Information