Thread: Bhogi or Yogi?

Bhogi or Yogi?

Namaste all.
    I have some question for you. With my limited knowledge I am so confused in this-
    Suppose we are doing everything fine according to dharma. Like loving others, taking care of family, being truthfull, doing good karmas and all.
    How dharma sees in enjoying the life, I am talking about material pleasures. There is supreme hapiness in just remembering the god and being intune with him.
    But how dharma talks about enjoying the material pleasure like partying, outing with friends or just go to a trek and enjoying the beauty of nature? And all sort of peaceful and entertaining things?

If ones karma is good.. and without attaching himself to the action or pleasure if he is enjoying all the worldly pleasures then it is good or bad?

Pranam
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Re: Bhogi or Yogi?

Namaste Soul of Light

If ones karma is good.. and without attaching himself to the action or pleasure if he is enjoying all the worldly pleasures then it is good or bad?

Why should it be bad? Why should any divine being mind if we enjoy life?

Scriptures that distinguishg good and bad, right and wrong are written by man to suppress people – in the end with a punishing God … what a life-threatening cycle …

All we suppress in this life will be our vasanas/samskaras in the next.

I reccomend to read Osho, his basic tenor is: Celebrate life!

Do it!
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Namaste Indialover ji.
    Yes. I was thinking the same but yet I was not confident so I asked to reassure myself. Thank you very much for the insight.

Pranam.
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste all.
    I have some question for you. With my limited knowledge I am so confused in this-
    Suppose we are doing everything fine according to dharma. Like loving others, taking care of family, being truthfull, doing good karmas and all.
    How dharma sees in enjoying the life, I am talking about material pleasures. There is supreme hapiness in just remembering the god and being intune with him.
    But how dharma talks about enjoying the material pleasure like partying, outing with friends or just go to a trek and enjoying the beauty of nature? And all sort of peaceful and entertaining things?

Pranam
    Kindly read Valmiki muni's charitham.

I give you the excerpt from Wikipedia:

Valmiki was going to the river Ganges for his daily ablutions. A disciple by the name Bharadwaja was carrying his clothes. On the way, they came across the Tamasa Stream. Looking at the stream, Valmiki said to his disciple, "Look, how clear is this water, like the mind of a good man! I will bathe here today." When he was looking for a suitable place to step into the stream, he saw a crane couple mating. Valmiki felt very pleased on seeing the happy birds. Suddenly, hit by an arrow, the male bird died on the spot. Filled by sorrow, its mate screamed in agony and died of shock. Valmiki's heart melted at this pitiful sight. He looked around to find out who had shot the bird. He saw a hunter with a bow and arrows, nearby. Valmiki became very angry. His lips opened and he cried out,मा निषाद प्रतिष्ठां त्वमगमः शाश्वतीः समाः।यत्क्रौञ्चमिथुनादेकमवधीः काममोहितम्॥'mā niṣāda pratiṣṭhā tvamagamaḥ śāśvatīḥ samāḥyat krauñcamithunādekam avadhīḥ kāmamohitam[15]You will find no rest for the long years of EternityFor you killed a bird in love and unsuspecting [16]Emerging spontaneously from Valmiki's rage and grief, this is considered to be the first shloka in Sanskrit literature. Valmiki later composed the entire Ramayana with the blessings of Lord Brahma in the same meter that issued forth from him as the shloka. Thus this shloka is revered as the first shloka in Hindu literature. Valmiki is revered as the first poet or Adi Kavi and Ramayana, the first kavya (poem).

Valmiki muni was just enjoying the nature, like your question poses.

However, in the end, the world got Ramayana, the soul-uplifting spiritual treatise!

It is all in our destiny. We do not need special initiation or prayers if our destiny is to experience a spiritual wake-up call. Of course for progress we might need those!

Also, kindly browse on Avadhuta Gita. It is called 'Song of the Free soul'.

Dattatreya, the god, finds 24 teachers of spirituality in nature.

It is most illumining to contain this wisdom. I am attaching a link for easy reference. See page 131.

In The Uddhava Gita, Lord Krishna tells how Avadhuta Dattatreya discovered 24 gurus by observing this world. His teachers were: the Earth, wind,sky, water, fire, the Moon, the Sun, some pigeons, a python, the ocean, a honeybee, a beekeeper, an elephant, a deer, a fish, a reformed prostitute, a smallsquirrel, a child, a hawk, a young housewife, an archer, a snake, a spider, anda wasp.
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ842786.pdf

If my answer helped you, kindly let me know. Many thanks.

Pranam!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information