Thread: Ram Mandir and Advancement Ideas

Ram Mandir and Advancement Ideas

Namaste. I wrote an article for Opindia Myvoice. I made some suggestions regarding the Vavya Ram Mandir and would like your suggestions regarding them.

To begin with, the idea of a uniform, clear and concise conversion system. Similar to what my father saw in 1971 and even now, while the Muslims had a few sentences to recite to convert to their religion, we failed to come up with one uniform code. While Muslims have simplified this step even further by only reciting the Shahada, we still do not have any uniform system that all sects would agree on. While searching “How to Covert to Hinduism”, I came to Wikihow which states “[t]here is no official conversion process or ceremony for converting to the Hindu faith.” While this makes the religion more diverse, it also causes retention problems. To note another source, Wikipedia states “no formal concept of conversion in Hinduism but converts to Hinduism are accepted.” VHP/RSS/Arya Samaj and many other perform havan to perform the conversion but these are expensive and time consuming methods. In my opinion, a simpler uniform conversion system, possibly reciting a non-denominational Sanskrit mantra like Gayatri Mantra combined with Shanti Mantras like “Asatoma Sadgamaya” could be one possible method towards that.

With the nearing of the Ram Mandir Bhumi Pujan, there is a rising number of Muslims who are traveling long distances to come to see the event. The Muslim Ram Bhakts also acknowledge that their ancestors were followers of Ram. This should not deter the Hindus and other Dharmic followers from showing them a different path. Rather, we can easily consecrate the area throughout Ram Mandir such that anyone who comes within a vicinity of the Ram Mandir or touches even a piece of stone has become a devotee of Ram, and therefore a Hindu.

Looking at our past mistakes in the Jagannath Temple in Puri which forbade foreign converts from entering the temple, while ISKCON continued their diligent and successful work throughout the world, we should rectify. While ISKCON was spreading the words of Sri Chaitinya throughout the world, garnered more than a million followers, we continued to close the doors for devotees like Alfred Ford and George Harrison. Should we not allow the likes of Tulsi Gabbard to enter the abode to Jagannath, while she worked tirelessly for our causes?

Many will claim that Hinduism is a secular religion, which is very open-ended for interpretation. However, it is that open-ended quality that can drive us towards these changes. While we can continue to be conservative towards accepting others, we can also show them the path necessary by accepting them. While we all know what happens when one comes out of the Laxman Rekha, we do not know the consequences of Ravan if he nonchalantly entered the Rekha and could not leave. Maybe Ram left it for us to test it out.

[As I have very little knowledge of the Shastras, I would like someone to please discuss how we can justify this. I believe strongly in the words of Dayanand Saraswati whose shuddhikaran structure drives me to write this article. Any opinion is greatly appreciated. With greater number of missionaries and imam activities going on, we should counter it this way.]

Re: Ram Mandir and Advancement Ideas

Namaste Dattaji

Great post, and I agree with all ideas except one:

Anyone who enters Ram Janmabhumi becomes Hindu

A better statement would be "Anyone who enters Ram Janmabhumi or attends a ceremony or Ram mandir, will have the blessings of Shri Ram" because now it is upon the person to take a step within the heart, and Ram will take 1000 steps towards them.

Granted that the Muslims who come to Ram mandir premises are most likely interested in and drawn to Hindu dharma, but individuals have freedom to consciously make that decision.

I am in 100% agreement that we should have a simple yet deep method to welcome people who want to be Hindu, with open arms and guidance.

Also important is the message that anyone can be Hindu by their own will and study (svadhyay), as long as it is a real change of heart and they do not have intentions to proselytize their old religion to Hindus!

I like your idea of the shanti mantra
    -- asato maa satgamaya, tamaso maa jyotirgamay, mrutyormaaa amrutam gamaya
    It is perfect , after making sure they understand the meaning, and is a great way to become Hindu

Also, the Isha Upanishad mantra (a bit complicated to remember - but a good next step)
    Om Saha Naav[au]-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karavaavahai |
    Tejasvi Naav[au]-Adhiitam-Astu Maa Vidvissaavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Meaning:
    1: Om, Together may we two Move (in our Studies, the Teacher and the Student),
    2: Together may we two Relish (our Studies, the Teacher and the Student),
    3: Together may we perform (our Studies) with Vigor (with deep Concentration),
    4: May what has been Studied by us be filled with the Brilliance (of Understanding, leading to Knowledge); May it Not give rise to Hostility (due to lack of Understanding),
    5: Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

Ideally, those who did not grow up in a Hindu family and want to be Hindu may be given a preliminary DIKSHAA - but the dikshaa is not mandatory to become Hindu , as anyone can be Hindu by will alone and a change of heart, and sanAtana dharma is the eternal Mother who will embrace you.

One round of GAyatri mantra (108 ) in presence of a dharma guru -- like what Baba Ramdev does/did, is a good ideaas long as it is done without diminishing the depth and importance of Gayatri.

However, by no means should Gayatri mantra be turned into something casual or a "fashion statement" as that will be abuse of Gayatri.

The converts should be given follow up guidance and resources for education in the dharma and shastras.
    Last edited by ameyAtmA; 20 February 2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Anyone who has a change of heart and enters Ram mandir, will have the blessings of Shri Ram
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: Ram Mandir and Advancement Ideas

P.S. And they have to absolutely STOP eating cow meat, or have anything to do with GoHatya (killing cows ) because GoMata is our Mother and provides us with milk and nutrients
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information