Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new interpretation of 'Hare Krishna' Mahamantra

Re: A new interpretation of 'Hare Krishna' Mahamantra

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    That is precisely the point!

What makes anyone think what I wrote in the OP 'should' only be imaginary? It could be factual.

While referring to principles of dharma, strict adherence to Shastra may be necessary, but I don't think banning creative thinking is a right measure.

Besides, you have just given a mere list of all the 16 words in the Mahamantra, have you anywhere given what is the meaning of each word and why it is used as 'Hare Krishna' twice followed by 'Krishna Krishna Hare Hare', etc.... Nowhere I see such explanations given by you. Therefore I am trying to interpret them, according to Sanskit and such.

Pranam.
    Namaste

I am not against any creative thinking but my view is if the explanation of the verse is already given by the original author , interpretation by different thinkers in the name of creative thinking create confusion only. of course we have the right to create new verse. You should try to create your own which can not be banned. Mahaprabhu preached hari nam sankirtan but not the meaning of hari nam. I think vaishnab ‘s concern is sankirtan of hari nam only not its meaning. This mahamantra bears only names of shri Krishna so I don’t understand what new interpretation can be put to names of shri hari when I am concerned with sankirtan of his names only. It is taught that names of shri hari bear the power to mould us in his way . I don’t think vaishnavas feel any need to know the meaning of shri krishna’s names. Here my view is just in the context of hare Krishna mahamantra.

I am not in favour of destroying any original idea or thought.

Pranam markandeya 108 dasa

I always support your deep thought views and I think you are 100% right when you talk of bhagavat gita which leaves scope to have different interpretation. But I think all these different interpretation of the philosophy of Gita can not be true and that true interpretation must be one which we are in search of. rest is fine

Hare Krsna Jopmala Prabhu ji,

I understand what you are saying, in Bengal and Odhisha some address Hari Nam as Prabhu, where the name is not different from Sri Hari and the mood of bhakti is one of receiving, where Hari Nam keeps one in yoga and transforms one into that same nature. Vaishnava is empowered in Nam and all perfection comes from Nam, certainly Hari Nam Bhajan and sanskirtan is divine power of Gaudiya. I understand the mood, yet i am still aspiring, but when it comes to Bhagavad Gita and Hari Nam going into other cultures there needs to be some sort of translation and meaning for the aspiring sadhaka to understand what they are doing and why. Generally in this day and age the minds are not so simple to just accept focus alone without desire for any result and not to add what was previously discovered.

Most of my comments are directed at this transition of Yoga being exported around the world, it has the ability to adapt and integrate globally. This in itself has many pro cons and many learning stages, but in reality it is only 100 years or less that these traditions have become mainstream in other societies, so there is still some way go, maybe a few more generations where Hari Nam can be seen in its own light without interpretation.

I say its a strength of the Bhagavad Gita to have different commentaries because it attracts more people to its message, i have read few different ones and each one has offered something valuable and for the Global community it also shows that Vedanta is not as rigid and dogmatic as some of the other religions, and due to the influx of Eastern Thought religious people in the Western world are now more broadminded and open, which is a relief, but at certain points the Bhagavad Gita has been used to much in philosophy and competing views and trying to establish common ground. All is needed is time and when people discover what the real beauty and message is, is worth a sometimes rough transition.

India has the challenge of preserving what has already been discovered, where nothing need to be added or taken away so the dynamic is slightly different, and the challenge lies in a fast changing world and how to adapt yet still preserve that Dharma.

Dandavats

Namaste all,

I tried to place myself in the shoes of dissenters to see if their argument is right.

It still appears to me their argument would be right if there was no basis for the thoughts I put forth in the OP.

Whereas, what I put forth stems from the root verbs 'Krish' (darkness), 'Krishna' (all attractive), 'Ra' (light), etc as per their Sanskrit meanings and thus, enthusiastically discussing their possibility to give a specific meaning for the sequence of words in the mahamantra. Therefore it is not utterly baseless, as some here claim.

There are benefits to this view too (as it has some basis as said). i) It enthuses the reader and makes them think about the nuances of the mahamantra, on their part too. After all, Valmiki unknowingly recited 'Rama' as 'Mara' and yet the divine epic was revealed to him, in reward for 'Mara' sadhana. ii) Its free publicity. Immediately do not say mahamantra does not need publicity. Even if it doesn't yet more publicity cannot harm it. iii) Where I hail from (TN state of India), there are tales such as 'Silappadhigaram' that speaks of the greatness of a certain Kannagi. If you research the origins, no one knows for certain if the tale did really happen, its all hear-say. Nevertheless the tale has so much charm, temples in real life are dedicated to the famed but unfortunate heroine, Kannagi. So also, musing along Sanskrit basis and such, gives everyone their own chance at revering at something of a marvel themselves...... who knows, may be it could lead somewhere much greater too! So long as something is not damaged, I don't see any harm.

On a side note: They say the Universe is on an expanding mission not only w.r.t the space factor, but also with the intellectual opulence! Surely, every idea and counter-idea has a place somewhere, as long as they have basis. Only when we are armed this way, we can ascertain intellectual and spiritual growth. Not via the hush-hush mode.

Sorry, my conclusions I present here are final.

If the webmaster finds my topic unworthy or blasphemous, I don't mind it being deleted.

Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Viraja,

there is nothing to add to your last entry!

I always say ‚we got a brain to use it‘. But the brain is only one thing. With the brain you can grasp the intellectual part, with the brain you learn, you get knowledge, knowledge you can get from others. After the knowledge give space for wisdom to grow. Wisdom grows only in you, it cannot be transferred from others.

In the West always one question appears: Why are there 33 million ‚Gods‘ in Hinduism? A nice answer I got long ago: At this time 33 million humans lived on earth. Every human had ‚his God‘. That means there are as many views of the mystery as individuals on this planet. Every view is right for this individual. A mantra is the vessel of the mystery that reveals itself through sound to the individual, to you.

So be happy to be born into a tradition where question and interpret is not unworthy or blasphemous. Think of the teacher/student dialogues in the Upanishads, where the teacher always gives the impetus only and challenges the student to think for himself. Be happy to be born into a traditon where not one sacrosanct book is given, but six darshanas – with lots of sub-darshanas.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    Namaste Viraja,

there is nothing to add to your last entry!

I always say ‚we got a brain to use it‘. But the brain is only one thing. With the brain you can grasp the intellectual part, with the brain you learn, you get knowledge, knowledge you can get from others. After the knowledge give space for wisdom to grow. Wisdom grows only in you, it cannot be transferred from others.

In the West always one question appears: Why are there 33 million ‚Gods‘ in Hinduism? A nice answer I got long ago: At this time 33 million humans lived on earth. Every human had ‚his God‘. That means there are as many views of the mystery as individuals on this planet. Every view is right for this individual. A mantra is the vessel of the mystery that reveals itself through sound to the individual, to you.

So be happy to be born into a tradition where question and interpret is not unworthy or blasphemous. Think of the teacher/student dialogues in the Upanishads, where the teacher always gives the impetus only and challenges the student to think for himself. Be happy to be born into a traditon where not one sacrosanct book is given, but six darshanas – with lots of sub-darshanas.

Pranam
    So beautifully worded, IndiaLover. Yes, true, I agree, every thought and counter-thought has a place in this tradition.

Blasphemy is when I misrepresent things. Not when I elevate it or escalate the thought to new paradigms, on the basis of some valid input.

For the reader's benefit, I recollect the much known tale of Srimad Ramanujacharya learning from his 1st teacher.

The 1st teacher was not so much of a Narayana bhakta, it appears. For he compared the Lord's eyes with the bottom of a Monkey, calling it to be as 'Red' in color. He thought that was the Sanskrit meaning.

The saintly student started crying! For, even as per Sanskrit, the Redness meant a "Lotus" and not the bottom of a Monkey!

So much goes into the difference between fantasy, fascination, blasphemy and eulogy.

I thank you for the input.

Pranama.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Pranam

I have already mentioned that hare krishna hare ram maha mantra nothing but chanting of Lord's nam. now I have to mention that to give some interpretation on the holy name of Lord amounts to NAMA APARADHA. now its upto you to accept or reject my point.

Mahatma Gandhi on Ramanama:

https://www.mkgandhi.org/momgandhi/chap15.htm

Chanting the Name of God is an ancient, ancient practice. God is not a machine or a mathematical formula. If you are trying to chant His name, He is beyond caring about what name you choose or if you "pronounce" that name correctly. He is aware that you are chanting His Name.

Daily japa, meditation and prayer is the way to God.

The details may change slightly from one path to another, but Sri Ramakrishna confirms that all the world's major religions lead to the same One God.

Thread Information