Thread: Organ Transplants

Organ Transplants

Namaste

Some days ago I found a video on youtube whose title made me curious, 'When the end is a beginning'. I was surprised when it was about organ transplants. A young man had a motorcycle accident and was diagnosed as brain dead. The family approved the organ removal and the documentation by a film team from a regional broadcaster. I saw a small ‘presentable’ part of the whole procedure with my own eyes.

Two prescribed tests by two independent physicians were required to definitively diagnose the brain death. To keep the organs alive, the body was connected to countless devices. They were switched off after taking out what was assessed as useful for reuse.

Since the man was young and healthy, six organs were removed from him. These were packed in containers and distributed in Germany and Europe to those waiting. The film showed the heart, the lungs, how they were examined the last time, packed and carried away.

I browsed only some comments, they were all positive, praising that family who enabled six humans to start a new life. I am also deeply impressed by their decision.

Organ transplant is allowed in Germany since 1997. It is called Organspende, where ‘spende’ means ‘donation’. This is to give a noble touch.

Searching for ‚organ transplant in Hinduism‘ I found some justifications.

Dadhichi, who gave his bones for Indra’s vajra. Dadhichi’s intention was to save the Devas from the Asuras.

King Shibi, who intended to give as much of his flesh as the pigeon weighed to save it from the falcon. Shibi‘s intention was that he, as the king, is responsible for every creature in his kingdom, even for a pigeon.

And a verse from Manu Smriti ‚Of all the things that it is possible to donate, to donate your own body is infinitely more worthwhile.‘ The number of the verse is not given and I cannot find it in the pdf version of Manusmriti published on archive.org. Searching for the whole verse leaded me to a lot of health organizations. In addition some refer to ‚Dana‘ as the 3rd of 10 Niyamas.

Can we justify with the example of Dadhichi and Shibi today's organ trade?

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Re: Organ Transplants

Namaste,

Personally, I would not wait for a validation from scriptures or from any humans to justify such donations to prolong other people's lives. What could be better than making 'dana' of your organs as your last act before signing off. Sorry, that is not what you were looking for.

Pranam.

Re: Organ Transplants

Namaste

I am about the hybris of mankind on the one hand and the means of influencing the individual on the other. To transplant an organ was a noble idea at its beginning, no doubt.

In the Christian world the pressure is made by ‘the church’ with Jesus who preached charity. The atheists are put under presser in the hospital.

In India the pressure seems to be made with characters from Puranas and with an obviously fictitious verse of Manu, who definitely did not think of organ transplant.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Thread Information