Thread: Sect - Sectarian

Sect - Sectarian

Namaste

I ponder about the term sectarian.

Asking google about ‚sect‘

A group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

A group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church.

A philosophical or political group, especially one regarded as extreme or dangerous. "a sect of anarchists".

At least the first two have a clear reference to Christianity. People who split off from what is called ‘the church’ and founded their own religious communities were called heretical, their community was called a sect. Thus the term ‘sect’ has a negative connotation in Christianity.

And with the translation of Indian scriptures by Christians their thinking and their terms found entrance. The right term would be Sampradaya.

Asking google about ‚Sampradaya‘

In Hinduism, a sampradāya (Sanskrit: सम्प्रदाय) can be translated as 'tradition', 'spiritual lineage', 'sect' or 'religious system'.

Translating सम्प्रदाय with google translator I get ‚community‘.

For me the writings of the Sampradayas have always been an enrichment, that broadened my mind. It doesn't matter what name they give their highest Lord, the thoughts are important. From every Sampradaya I took what created a resonance within myself. I wouldn't want to miss the different interpretations of the scriptures either. There is no right or wrong, just an ocean of variations to get closer to the mystery. How boring would my life have been without all these Sampradayas.

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Re: Sect - Sectarian

Namaste,

Aptly said.

Without knowing much of what the scriptures have to offer, we are all fishing in the shallow pond of narrow-mindedness and sticking to our own ideas and really twisting all contradictory facts to suit our own ideals. (By we I mean the larger population, not you IndiaLover ji).

In fact, I too have had much growth in the past several years, that thought me how to remain focused while still respecting all ideas.

Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    A group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church.
    In Hinduism, since we don't have one established Mandir or religious thought(specific interpretation of scriptures), no group separates itself from anything established to form a sect. So, there are no sects as you have also identified.

Quote Originally Posted by Indialover View Post
    And with the translation of Indian scriptures by Christians their thinking and their terms found entrance. The right term would be Sampradaya.

In Hinduism, a sampradāya (Sanskrit: सम्प्रदाय) can be translated as 'tradition', 'spiritual lineage', 'sect' or 'religious system'.
    As with many other things, Christians translated our words into English and the Indian 'intelligentsia/intellectuals' - meaning those who are not necessarily intelligent but can use bastardised english - accepted them; as you have also pointed out several times. To me sampradaya always meant 'spiritual lineage'. Others may differ.

Foreigners have extended the meaning of 'sect' to include people of different religions - as in sectarian violence, meaning violence between groups of people belonging to different religions.

- Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 08 April 2021 at 03:42 PM.

Namaste

As Believer said: As with many other things, Christians translated our words into English and the Indian 'inteligensia/intellectuals' - meaning those who are not necessarily intelligent but can use bastardised english - accepted them;

https://www.boloji.com/articles/5245...ithout-english

Pranam
    Dance with Shiva - live with Shiva - merge with Shiva

Thread Information