Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does really recite Lord's name/s give Moksha in Kali-yuga?

Does really recite Lord's name/s give Moksha in Kali-yuga?

Namaste all.
    I am a Sri vaishnava of Sri-sampradaya.
    As such I consider prapatti the only way to obtain Moksha.
    So,I'd like to know your opinions about the interpration of the following things.
    In Srimad Bhagavata Purana,Canto 12,chapter 3,it is wrote:
    (51) In the ocean of faults that is Kali-yuga, there is luckily one great good quality: just by chanting about Krishna [see bhajans] can one, liberated from the material bondage, go to the kingdom of heaven [see also bhâgavata dharma and kîrtana]. (52) The same result in Satya-yuga achieved by meditating on Vishnu, in Tretâ-yuga by worshiping with sacrifices and in Dvâpara-yuga by serving the lotus feet [of Him as a King], is in Kali-yuga achieved by singing about the Lord [see also 11.5: 38-40].

I used the version at http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/canto12/chapter3.html

In order to quote Sri Vishnu Purana,Book 6,Chapter 2 I will use version at http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/vp/vp157.htm

UPON this subject, Maitreya, you shall hear what the wise Vyása has related, as it is communicated truly by me.

It was once a matter of dispute amongst the sages, at what season the least moral merit obtained the greatest reward, and by whom it was most easily displayed. In order to terminate the discussion, they went to Veda Vyása to remove their doubts. They found the illustrious Muni, my son, half immersed in the water of the Ganges; and awaiting the close of his ablutions, the sages remained on the banks of the sacred stream, under shelter of a grove of trees. As my son plunged down into the water, and again rose up from it, the Munis heard him exclaim, "Excellent, excellent, is the Kali age!" Again he dived, and again rising, said in their hearing, "Well done, well done Śúdra; thou art happy!" Again he sank down, and as he once more emerged they heard him say, "Well done, well done, women; they are happy! who are more fortunate than they?" After this, my son finished his bathing, and the sages met him as he approached to welcome them. After he had given them seats, and they had proffered their respects, the son of Satyavatí said to them, "On what account have you come to me?" They replied, "We came to you to consult you on a subject on which we entertain some doubt; but that may be at present suspended: explain to us something else. We heard you say, 'Excellent is the Kali age! Well done, Śúdra! Well done, women!' Now we are desirous to know why this was said, why you called them repeatedly, happy. Tell us the meaning of it, if it be not a mystery. We will then propose to you the question that occupies our thoughts."

Being thus addressed by the Munis, Vyása smiled, and said to them, "Hear, excellent sages, why I uttered the words 'Well done, well done.' The fruit of penance, of continence, of silent prayer, and the like, practised in the Krita age for ten years, in the Treta for one year, in the Dwápara for a month, is obtained in the Kali age in a day and night: therefore did I exclaim, 'Excellent, excellent, is the Kali age!' That

p. 628

reward which a man obtains in the Krita by abstract meditation, in the Treta by sacrifice, in the Dwápara by adoration, he receives in the Kali by merely reciting the name of Keśava. In the Kali age a man displays the most exalted virtue by very little exertion; therefore, pious sages, who know what virtue is, I was pleased with the Kali age.

Poonthanam (Poonthanam is not his name but the name of the Namboodiri family he belonged to..His name seems to have been forgotten in antiquity),in his work Jnana Pana (Pot of Knowledge),says:

27.Please do remember that this land of Bharatha,
    Is the most sacred land known,
    And in the vast time periods this Kali time period,
    Leads to salvation most easily.
    28.Please know that there is no effort,
    Except singing for the holy names,
    Krishna, Krishna, Mukunda Janardhana,
    Krishna, Govinda and Rama.
    29.Thinking about this,
    Those living in the other thirteen worlds,
    Those living in the six other islands,
    Those living in the other eight countries,
    And those living in the other three time periods,
    Realizing that they would not get salvation easily.
    With folded hands do salutations,
    To the Country of Bhratha and the time period of Kali.
    30.To be at least a grass in that country,
    And be born now in this time period ,
    We were not lucky enough oh,God,
    And so our salutations to the men,
    Of Bharatha country and Kali time period.
    31.Why do we tell that,
    All those who are not here, sing our praise thus?
    Is not this the time period Kali,
    Are we not living in the country of Bharatha,
    And are we not born as human beings?
    All of you please think about this,
    Should we go without the names of Hari,
    Should we be less afraid of going to hell,
    Should we live without a tongue?
    Alas! Alas ! without proper thought,
    We destroy our lives in vain.
    35.In the body which is like a water bubble,
    We see it filled up always,
    And when we put efforts without thought,
    We can tell that this bubble will only burst.
    In this very limited time,
    We do not sing the holy names.
    47.Why was all these special things told,
    All of you think as much as possible,
    About the largeness of Karma done,
    About how we have taken many births already,
    About how the present is the Kali time period,
    About the largeness of the country of Bharatha,
    About how all these days we were born there,
    About how all the past period was spent without meaning,
    About how we do not have much life span left,
    About how we were healthy all along,
    And how by singing of holy names of God,
    All fortunes would come about,
    About how the fear of future hell,
    Has to be thought about today..
    48.Why are you wasting time unnecessarily,
    All of you please go to Vaikunta*.
    56.Always without attachment and always,
    With extreme devotion we should chant the names of God
    Till the life span allotted to us is over,
    And like this all of us should live.
    We should praise all the beings that we see,
    Leaving the sense of shame.
    Filled with tears of joy,
    And leaving out insults heaped,
    We should fall at the feet,
    When we see holy people around.
    And then drowning in the sense of devotion,
    Like a drunkard we should dance.
    If we travel in this world thus,
    All problems would run away from us.
    59. When wandering after desires have left,
    Thinking that we are not yet ready for salvation,
    Please do not develop self pity,
    And hear the greatness of God’s holy name.
    Even if one belongs to the lowest caste,
    Or a learned higher caste who is expert in Vedas,
    Except those who are born without tongue,
    And who are made dumb by nature,
    Out of the uncountable holy names of God,
    At least one, once in any one day,
    At least when are happy and contended,
    Or at least in dreams without our control,
    Or at least teasing Him as some other,
    Or at least for the sake of some one else,
    Wherever we are,
    If we tell with our tongue,
    Or atleast if else,
    Hear the name with our ear,
    We will get salvation then and there,
    And would become one with God,
    And so say Sreedhara* the great scholar,
    And sage Vyasa** who wrote the puranas.
    60.Even Bagavad Geetha says the same,
    And also so say the Vedas with respect.
    61.So sing God’s holy names easily
    And with joy become one with God.
    62.For those aiming at salvation this book is sufficient,
    For it sings about greatness of God’s holy names.
    With errors or without errors.
    Please grant me your grace , Oh my God!

If you want read the full Jnana Pana,please read http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/eboo...ana%20Pana.doc

The importance of chanting and reciting Lord's names is found even in Mukunda Mala,a work composed by a prince of the Chera dynasty called Kulashekara Azhwar (Called Kula shekara perumal in Kerala)He was also called Mudaliyandan Nambi .He was one of the 12 sages of the Bhakthi cult of Vaishnavism called Azhwars (or alvars).

At http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/eboo...nda%20mala.doc you may read the full Mukunda Mala.

My question is:should I take literally the puranic doctrin that in Kali-yuga one mays obtain Moksha just by reciting Lord's names?

Regards,
    Orlando.

Start chanting with a hope of moksha. god will guide u in future

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God
    The importance of chanting and reciting Lord's names is found even in Mukunda Mala,a work composed by a prince of the Chera dynasty called Kulashekara Azhwar (Called Kula shekara perumal in Kerala)He was also called Mudaliyandan Nambi .He was one of the 12 sages of the Bhakthi cult of Vaishnavism called Azhwars (or alvars).

At http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/eboo...nda%20mala.doc you may read the full Mukunda Mala.

My question is:should I take literally the puranic doctrin that in Kali-yuga one mays obtain Moksha just by reciting Lord's names?

Regards,
    Orlando.
    The answer is no for a vaishnav in strict sense.

The guideline given by Srimad Bhaagavat mahapurana relates to bhakti yoga, in which, we trust, even sage Vyasa is yet to reach god.

The idea is simple.

Bhakti yoga takes time to give moksha and those who are strong enough to endure the pain like Vyasa Maharishi, Vashista Maharishi can go for it. For those who are not that strong enough, lord has offered an easiest method called Charanaagati. Surrender in toto, and this will lead you to Moksha.

However, charanaagati does not dispense with namajapa, for namajapa is done not with aim of moksha for it is already guaranteed, it is done for bhaghavat preeti.

bhagawaaneva .... swayameva kaarithavaan depicts this very well

Dear Ramkish 42,thanks for your reply.Please note that I do not know sankrit.
    So I am not able to understand totally your post.
    Please could you translate Charanaagati,bhaghavat preeti and bhagawaaneva .... swayameva kaarithavaan.
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Charanaagati, - surrender to god in toto - this is explained in gita as a sloka popularly known as charamasloka. (I just thought of giving the sloka here, but it is in my signature)

bhaghavat preeti - for the happiness of lord. Lord is always happy - this is his actual status. but this phrase talks about lord is happy for what we did - this is specific to duty assigned to a particular soul. When a soul, does its duty without liking the fruits thereof, god is happy for that soul and will bestow his blessings on it, so that that soul get wisdom and thus reach eternity

bhagawaaneva .... swayameva kaarithavaan - this is another version of KRISHNAARPANAM - all submitted to god. As you indicated some where that you are vaishnavite, I referred to this for this acknowledges that the activity (started / completed after a due vow) is done by the lord himself through me for his happiness (thus I take nothing as result and all shall reach him)

Do buzz me if still these are troublesome

Dear Ramkish 42,thanks for your reply.Please note that I do not know sankrit.
    So I am not able to understand totally your post.
    Please could you translate Charanaagati,bhaghavat preeti and bhagawaaneva .... swayameva kaarithavaan.
    Regards,
    Orlando.
    By the way, May I know what is your mother tongue and what other languages you are familiar with. This might help me in future

My mother tongue is italian language.I am familiar with English.
    I know only a few words of sankrit.

My mother tongue is italian language.I am familiar with English.
    I know only a few words of sankrit.
    Nice. I know India has italian connection already, now you add another thread to it.

Request you to use the Sanskrit instead of Sankrit. The word Sanskrit means tradtional method of communication

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    Nice. I know India has italian connection already, now you add another thread to it.
    Lol....but we should not mock orlando for our misfortune.

Thread Information