Thread: Krishna

Question Krishna

I am not a practitioner of Sanatana Dharma, I am a Buddhist. Although, I find Yoga, and the trimurti interesting. The art is Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva are cool. I like listening to Krishna das.

Any hoot, I am here because I want to collect data on this tradition. I am not here to fight or argue with anyone. To prove anyone is wrog or convert them. I just want to gather some data.

Here is my first questions:

I just want to learn more about Krishna and how he is regarded in this tradition. Are there writtings of Krishna be born to a virgin? Or is he concieved by procreation by his mother and father?

Does Krishna walk on water and preform miracles like healing the sick?

Does Krishna die for the sins of humanity? Hmm, I imagine that since sins does not exist in Buddhism, only Kharma, I would assume it does not exist in this tradition either. So, I guess I already answered that question.

Does Krishna physically resurrect and ascends into heaven?

Any help would be nice, thank you.

Re: Krishna

Pranam Manli08

Welcome to the forum, stick around you may learn a lot from some wonderful people who are very well versed in the Hindu dharma.we may in turn learn something from you

You have come here with right attitude, we Hindus are not into converting rather dharma is about learning and practicing.
    As regards to your question on Krishna I try my best as much as I know to answer your question.

No he is not born of a virgin, in fact he is never born but he appears of his own free will but to respect the laws of this material world he appeared in this word as if born as an eighth child, of Devaki and Vasudev in the prison of King Kansa.at first he appears as four armed Vishnu form but to perform his Lila he then transformed as a baby Krishna and instructed Vasudev to take him to Nandgam.

Just as he appears he also chooses to leave of his own free will.
    Vasudev and Devaki had performed great penance in their previous life to beget child as equal to god and thus he agreed to appear as their son. Similarly in Ram avatar he had killed Vali with an arrow hidden behind a tree and in this avatar he allows Vali to shoot an arrow thinking it was a dear. In this way he chose to ascend to his eternal abode Gokul.

paritranaya sadhunam
    vinasaya ca duskrtam
    dharma-samsthapanarthaya
    sambhavami yuge yuge

In order to deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium.
    Bg4.8
    janma karma ca me divyam
    evam yo vetti tattvatah
    tyaktva deham punar janma
    naiti mam eti so 'rjuna

One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna. bg4.9

He had performed many un believable feat while he was here some 5000 years ago.
    Srimad Bhagvat puran record his great deeds and in Bhagvat Gita he gave us one of the most read, philosophical guidance.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Manji08 View Post
    I am here because I want to collect data on this tradition. I am not here to fight or argue with anyone. To prove anyone is wrong or convert them. I just want to gather some data. Here is my first questions:

I just want to learn more about Krishna and how he is regarded in this tradition. Are there writings of Krishna be born to a virgin? Or is he conceived by procreation by his mother and father?

Does Krishna walk on water and preform miracles like healing the sick?

Does Krishna die for the sins of humanity? Hmm, I imagine that since sins does not exist in Buddhism, only Kharma, I would assume it does not exist in this tradition either. So, I guess I already answered that question.
    Does Krishna physically resurrect and ascends into heaven?
    Any help would be nice, thank you.
    Namaste manji08,
    Welcome to HDF. We are happy to have you come in a look around. Fighting' does not occur, yet on occasion there are differing opinions.
    re: Krsna ( some write krishna and even cresna) - you ask what He does? Well, He pretty much does anything He likes to do. The Purana's are filled with his lila's ( or past times). If you care to read the Srimad Bhagavatam ( you will find this one line if you care to google it). You will see there is wealth of of info.

My favorite is the Mahabharata where krsna is a major factor in this epic.
    And , the 700 verses , known as the Bhagavad gita is a most noble work no matter what Ishtadevata one may follow.

These works, lots by Veda Vyasa are epics and substantial in content. Perhaps if you read a bit, then want to discuss some of the principles and concepts, there are many here that can accommodate this.

Your questions on His dying, how he as born, etc. can all be addressed. There are many here that delight in His discussion and will ask they address your initial questions accordingly. Yet, the most attractive attribute of Krsna coming to this earth is for his devotees ( Bhakti's) and to uphold dharma. this alone is a nice conversation to be had.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Manji,

I am a Buddhist.
    Welcome to HDF.

What vehicle of Buddhisism do you practice?

I am interested in learning the concept of 'rebirth'. As you know it is quite different than the Sanatana Dharma understanding of reincarnation. Perhaps you can help or point me in the right direction for this?
    satay

I would say I am Theravada Buddhist as I am mostly familiar with Vipassana meditation.

In regards to rebirth I am actually very unaware of what is the standard Buddhist view or the Theravada one. Rather I have my own thoughts about it.

I can say that my teacher has mentioned that something about the mind being caught up in things like Delusion, greed, or ill-will, can have effects on our rebirth. So, we want to be interested in our kharma or the negative seeds that might be planted in us that can cause us to have those kinds of mind states.

Other than that, from what I read on the net, (Which probably moved from the standard was that), the qualities of our minds can cause which plain of existance it will gravitate to.

Other than that, that is the best I can speak of on rebirth and Buddhism as far as I understand it. I have only been a Buddhist since the beginning of last year so. I am not the expert.

Sorry.

Metta,

Namaste Manji

What are the qualities that most appealed to you in Buddhism and attracted you to it?

Hare Hare
    There remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.

I would say I am Theravada Buddhist as I am mostly familiar with Vipassana meditation.

In regards to rebirth I am actually very unaware of what is the standard Buddhist view or the Theravada one. Rather I have my own thoughts about it.

I can say that my teacher has mentioned that something about the mind being caught up in things like Delusion, greed, or ill-will, can have effects on our rebirth. So, we want to be interested in our kharma or the negative seeds that might be planted in us that can cause us to have those kinds of mind states.

Other than that, from what I read on the net, (Which probably moved from the standard was that), the qualities of our minds can cause which plain of existance it will gravitate to.

Other than that, that is the best I can speak of on rebirth and Buddhism as far as I understand it. I have only been a Buddhist since the beginning of last year so. I am not the expert.

Sorry.

Metta,
    Namaste, Manji,

Thank you, for giving us a good general description, of a Buddhist view of re-birth.

Let me just add that, according to Mahayana buddhist thought, those who have mastered their minds are no longer bound by karma, to be reborn in one of the six realms, but can instead choose to be re-born.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Thread Information