Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on Smartism.

Re: Questions on Smartism.

I'd like to thank you all for your answers (especially SM for going ahead and actually asking a Smarta Guru for me).

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
    Namaste.
    In my opinion kindly do not change your religion.
    Saints insist on this point.
    The goal of life is to be a self realised soul.
    Hence follow the holy scriptures which each religion suggests.
    A Rose called by any other name is still a Rose.Its fragrance is the same.
    Similary stick to your own religion,the Fragrance which all religion insists is universal love.
    For this Patience and Perseverance is a must.
    Jai Sai Ram my fellow Baba devotee. I thank you for the wise words, but I really don't find my beliefs to be in line with traditional Christian theology, so I don't see how I can call myself a Christian.

Namaste Baobobtree,
    Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post
    I really don't find my beliefs to be in line with traditional Christian theology, so I don't see how I can call myself a Christian.
    If your belief in Hinduism is closest to the Smarta branch, and they will not officially allow anyone to become a Smarta, that still does not mean you cannot follow that branch in your personal practice. Sanatana Dharma is a free and open system, and lack of interest of the part of Smartas to officially bring others into that denomination should not stop you from pursuing your beliefs further. This is my opinion only.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post
    Jai Sai Ram my fellow Baba devotee. I thank you for the wise words, but I really don't find my beliefs to be in line with traditional Christian theology, so I don't see how I can call myself a Christian.
    This is the right attitude and makes rational sense. Surely one cannot call himself chirstian or muslim and yet claim to believe in rebirth and karma.

It is sad propaganda which arose in Hinduism towards the later part of the last millennium to patch up problems with other sects in India. Far from patching up things it has made Hinduism inherently weaker than it used to be.

About the smarta conversion, I am personally not very happy with the smarta standpoint. I think the reason for their strict adherence to varnashrama is for the sole purpose of protecting the Vedas. What Manu created, and what was reinforced strongly by the great Ved Vyas had the sole purpose of protecting the roots of the vedic culture. The name smarta inhereits the same purpose...to remember the origins of our culture through time.

Given this main purpose of protection of the vedic civilization, ban on conversion is quite contrary to this purpose in the current Yuga. I personally believe that if Srmiad Acharya himself was present at this moment, he would have advised differently...

That said, smarta practices cannot be forbidden to others...it's that u wud still not be called a brahmin by the orthodox cummunity...how does it matter outside India ??
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Don't constrict yourself to labels. Labels mean nothing, it is all about choice of action and intention. If there was one thing Lord Krishna taught above all else, it was that. So, if you choose the smarta path, follow specific practices regardless of what the other 'by birth' smartas call you. You don't need to heed them because in practice and in truth, you're every bit as smarta as them. As for not being allowed in those temples. They're ultimately negligble... spirituality comes from within. If you have the power to, I'd say build your own temple, to you that holy place will be more magnificient and awe inspiring than those would-be exclusive temples.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Sivaraman View Post
    Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
    Namaste.
    In my opinion kindly do not change your religion.
    Saints insist on this point.
    The goal of life is to be a self realised soul.
    Hence follow the holy scriptures which each religion suggests.
    A Rose called by any other name is still a Rose.Its fragrance is the same.
    Similary stick to your own religion,the Fragrance which all religion insists is universal love.
    For this Patience and Perseverance is a must.

Namaste
    In my opinions: if everyone must not or cant change religion that he/she must follow his/her parents religion then Christianity and Buddhism can not exist because Jesus didnt born in Christian family, Buddha didnt born in Buddhist family..if you make an exception then it is a special pleading logical fallacy..

But it doesnt mean you can convert to anyreligion easily or hope that everyone will accept you.
    Here is interesting story when Kanchi Jagadguru met Japanese Vedanta Professor
    http://kamakoti.org/kamakoti/stotra/...php?chapnum=64

Prof Nakamura didnt ask how to be converted into Smarta Sampradaya... prof spoke in sanskrit to Jagadguru..He asked about Vedanta material and Jagadguru answered him clearly and gave prasadam also..
    So in my opinion you still can learn vedanta and the Smarta Authorithy can appreciate you if you show your interest genuinely without being a formalized smarta brahmin... You can hope and pray to Bhagavan and learn vedanta as much as you can so you can be born in smarta brahmin in the next life..

There is also Ekalavya story.Though Dronacharya refused to teach him because of his low birth status, Ekalavya has great guru bhakti toward Drona, he studied archery by himself and then he excelled Arjuna skill in archery, and Dronacharya realized his skill.and Dronacharya accepted him as student.
    Last edited by Lokavidu; 15 July 2017 at 04:03 PM.

6. Re: Questions on Smartism.

I think everything in your story is precise, this whole ordeal exists specifically for you to think, learn, and resolve it. You were not made from your background by accident, attracted to a thibg you feel will never truly accept you by accident. You have been granted the unique gift of this story, to make into an even better story, if you can.

Thread Information