Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck do we know about Hinduism??

1. Quote Originally Posted by satay
    Everyone is born a hindu but due to 'environmental' reasons and past karma some choose different paths this includes the atheists and everyone else who practices a different 'religion'.

Amen (quote -- unquote)!

2. I came across this just now:
    In a 1966 ruling, the Supreme Court of India defined the Hindu faith as follows for legal purposes:
    • Acceptance of the Vedas with reverence as the highest authority in religious and philosophic matters and acceptance with reverence of Vedas by Hindu thinkers and philosophers as the sole foundation of Hindu philosophy.
    • Spirit of tolerance and willingness to understand and appreciate the opponent's point of view based on the realization that truth is many-sided.
    • Acceptance of great world rhythm-vast periods of creation, maintenance and dissolution follow each other in endless succession-by all six systems of Hindu philosophy.
    • Acceptance by all systems of Hindu philosophy of the belief in rebirth and pre-existence.
    • Recognition of the fact that the means or ways to salvation are many.
    • Realization of the truth that numbers of Gods to be worshiped may be large, yet there being Hindus who do not believe in the worshiping of idols.
    • Unlike other religions, or religious creeds, Hindu religion's not being tied down to any definite set of philosophic concepts, as such.
    Source: http://www.fact-index.com/h/hi/hinduism.html

Another POV.

Back to basics

This rivals when I found out I was a Muslim. So I can be a Hindu no matter what path I am on? No wonder my Christian brethren think I am daft.

I know this is off topic but maybe you know of one. I noticed that a couple of avatars have blue skin. I have a memory of blue people but not on earth. Any idea of their origen?

Quote Originally Posted by jaggin
    This rivals when I found out I was a Muslim. So I can be a Hindu no matter what path I am on? No wonder my Christian brethren think I am daft.

I know this is off topic but maybe you know of one. I noticed that a couple of avatars have blue skin. I have a memory of blue people but not on earth. Any idea of their origen?
    Jaggin,

welcome to the forums. how did you find this forum ? please post an introduction about yourself in the introductions forum.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Namo Narayana; 21 April 2006 at 09:56 AM.

5. Smile

I second the welcome, Jaggin. I'll bet your self-introduction is going to make interesting reading. Can't wait to see how you "found out" you were a muslim. And, one man's religion is another's daffiness. Now, let's see, where can we find a thread about blue-skinned extraterrestrials......

Welcome again and peace,

Devibhakta

Lord rama and any avatar of Maha vishnu is supposed to be blue skinned. Maha vishnu is Neela Mega shyamalan or the one who is handsome and colored like the blue cloud.

Blue-skinned extraterrestials lol, I believe in other life on planets and joke about my friends getting abducted by them if they don't call me back soon enough or write back soon, but as far as them being here in the past and the ancients mistaking them for Gods, I'm a bit skeptical on that. The Native Americans have a legend that says we came from the Pleiades, which does need some questioning, but I'm still a bit skeptical on it.And if they did come to Earth then I do believe that Hindus see God and intelligent life on other planets as separate, and if ancient Hindus saw them they were probably like "cool" lol. And yes, Lord Vishnu is handsome........and very blue lol.
    Last edited by nekozuki; 21 April 2006 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggin

Hi, jaggin, I'm new too, and I still haven't figured out how to introduce myself politely ... so mostly in lurk mode.

I'm not anything and a little bit of everything, I suppose, so I relate to that as well as to the blue people ... I used to see them nightly when I was a teen; my impression was they were from another dimension.

ZN

Quote Originally Posted by Devibhakta
    Namaste to all!

As people who have only recently realized our identities as Hindu, and who have declared ourselves so, we probably have mostly arrived at this point in our lives by focussing on some very particular aspect of the infinite varieties of what has for (western?) convenience been gathered in under the one name, Hinduism, and may be very ignorant of religions and philosophical schools that we did not happen to study in arriving at our self-declaration, but which are basic to a better understanding of where we are now, spiritually. I would like to dedicate this thread to those who have extremely basic questions and those who are disposed to help with answers. My first question, to start the ball rolling, is:

What is a Hindu?

Eagerly awaiting, Devibhakta
    Anybody who follows the vedas in word, and deed is a Hindu. The rest could be called "pseudo Hindus". Anyone who upholds Dharma is a Hindu.

Anyone could be called a Hindu theoretically. But, as Hindus, why should we shove this title on people who dont want it? I dont think we will like it if other Christians start to call us Christians...so better not to confer the title on people who dont desire it. A Hare Krishna member told me he does not like to called a Hindu because Hinduism is a corrupted faith. Well then, no need to call youself Hindu and invent some new names for yourself.

Re: What the heck do we know about Hinduism??

The Native Americans have a legend that says we came from the Pleiades,

That is interesting because God mentions the Pleiades in the book of Job in the Bible. I can't recollect him mentioning any other constellation.

It may be the blue people are from another dimension but I would normally refer to that as one of the seven heavens. What are gods but people with much greater power than our own? Therefore visitors from the stars with higher technology would be able to impress earthlings easily.

The story of Elijah being picked up by a fiery chariot is very suggestive indeed. It would not surprise me one bit if the predicted Rapture turned out to be an ET rescue before this world is bombarded by a meteor swarm.

As Larry Norman put it in a song "if there is life on other planets, God will be there too."

Thread Information