Thread: Indian Kings List

Indian Kings List

I've working with some historians to work out if and how any of the Indian kings (or kings of Bharatavarsha) were also kings of what is now known as Sumer, previously known as Babylonia and Assyria, the piece of land that is at the head of the Persian Gulf.

There was a researcher called Waddle who put together the Sumerian kings list from the cuneiform tablets found at Nineveh, and he then matched to the a list that I think he got from the Puranas. As the list goes back to the early 3000s BC right up the 1st century, and there is no mention of Krishna or Yudisthira, I thought others here might like to see the what this table looks like and see if we can shed any light on why there is that omission:

So here it is: [By the way, the notes in it are mine as I've giving advice to Sumerian scholars who don't know much about Indian history or mythology.]

Last edited by Gill Harley; 14 May 2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Gill

If i am not wrong mahabaratha happened 8000 years back and ramayana in tredayuga 12000 years back. if you see 3000 years back you may not find Krishna or Yudhishtra. I am not sure if krishna was even a King.

Quote Originally Posted by Namo Narayana
    If i am not wrong mahabaratha happened 8000 years back and ramayana in tredayuga 12000 years back. if you see 3000 years back you may not find Krishna or Yudhishtra. I am not sure if krishna was even a King.
    Thanks for that Narayana.

The orthodox view, though, is that the Mahabharata happened around 3,000 BC. It's all been worked out by astronomical observations and an eclipse that is mentioned in the Srimad Bhagavatham. It's also generally thought that Kaliyuga began with the death of Krishna, and that this yuga (Kali) is about 5,000 years old.

But I'd be interested to hear your evidence for the Mahabharata war being around 8000 years ago and the Ramayana 12000 years ago.

Many thanks.
    Gill

my evidence is all hearsay Gill. My school Principal told this to me about 17 years ago.

Namaste Gill,

Here is an interesting attempt to unite all chronologies: http://www.newdharma.org/royal_chron.htm

6. Namaste Gill. There is no way of properly dating the events of the Mahabharata in a manner that would be accepted by Western scholars. The traditional Hindu understanding is that the Mahabharata records events that took place just at the end of Dvapara Yuga, which was around 5,000 years ago, so about 3,000BC.

If you are looking for lists of kings that move from what would be called mythology into historjy, then the Puranas would be more useful. I don't have references immediately to hand but I am pretty sure that the Book 11 of the Bhagavata Purana has an extensive list of kings that runs from remote antiquity right up to the Mauryas and perhaps even the Guptas. It would be very interesting to compare the names listed there with the Sumerian records.

Quote Originally Posted by kimtadbrahma
    Namaste Gill. There is no way of properly dating the events of the Mahabharata in a manner that would be accepted by Western scholars. The traditional Hindu understanding is that the Mahabharata records events that took place just at the end of Dvapara Yuga, which was around 5,000 years ago, so about 3,000BC.

If you are looking for lists of kings that move from what would be called mythology into historjy, then the Puranas would be more useful. I don't have references immediately to hand but I am pretty sure that the Book 11 of the Bhagavata Purana has an extensive list of kings that runs from remote antiquity right up to the Mauryas and perhaps even the Guptas. It would be very interesting to compare the names listed there with the Sumerian records.
    Yes, it is my understanding that the Mahabharata War is around 3000 BC. As I also understand it, the researcher Waddle took my (above) Indian kings from the Puranas, but the problem is, the Puranas don't give dates.
    Gill

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Namaste Gill,

Here is an interesting attempt to unite all chronologies: http://www.newdharma.org/royal_chron.htm
    Namaste Sarabhanga

...and many thanks indeed for this most interesting spreadsheet. I look forward to studying it.
    Gill

Thread Information