Thread: What makes An Excellent Jyotishi?

What makes An Excellent Jyotishi?

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    When one thinks of an excellent Jyotishi what comes to mind? The ability to cast and read a horoscope, the knowledge of the shastra's /vedanga's ( as jyotish knowledge is found here).

Anyone can practice and study this great science (that would be me)...it is few who master it. That would be muni's like Gargamuni, Jaimini, Parashara, Varha Mahira, etc. the ancients. And there are the contemporary Jyotishi's that are part of a tradition or parampara.

The word jyotish is roughly translated as the science of light. Yet if one looks to this word Jyotishi, its components are jyotih = light + isha = divine, ruler, lordship. And its root is from ish, to rule. So this Jyotishi is, at its apex, the divine light, divine sight. That is, the maturity of this science brings one to divine sight.

And what makes up this divine sight? My teacher says it is the right eye, the left eye and the ajna chakra, or divine eye between the brow. What does this mean? It is when these centers are fully matured one has become the excellent (siddhi = accomplished, perfected, adept ) Jyotishi. What are these centers then?

The right eye is that of the Sun, Surya. This is the eye of dharma - that which upholds or holds together. The Jyotishi performs actions that uphold righteousness and the support of an evolutionary cosmos. He/She sees theses impulses of nature in ones chart, and has befriended this creative impulses, the grahas.

The left eye - is that of the moon, Chandra. This is is the development of compassion and empathy. This is opened for the native that approaches the Jyotishi. The Jyotishi is there to assist. Viewing the native with the left eye and right, a decision is made on how to proceed ( or not proceed).

The ajna - Is that of divine sight. It is that of Agni. What is developed is Ritambhara prajna - or that which only knows the truth ( originally said as unalloyed , unblemished truth). This brings the spiritual dimension, in depth, to the Jyotishi's capability and comprehension. This knowing the truth is not that of opinion, or based upon recalling a fact or figure from a book, but the absolute truth based upon consciousness that pervades this universe. This allows the Jyotishi to have the highest level of viveka (discrimination) when discerning ones chart. To see what is relevant, true and best for the native. This is called viveka khysti or the ultimate discriminative knowledge i.e. insight and cognition.

As you can see having all 3 of these qualities brings a very capable, mature human being , competent of viewing a natives past, present and future by which the graha's influence.

These three abilities takes practice, learning, and spiritual pursuits to fully blossom into a Jyotishi. There are a few I am aware of that has matured the left and right eyes, and this feat on its own is a substantial accomplishment. Just as the sadhu continues his sadhana, the wise Jyotishi pursues the spiritual unfoldment too, for the full blossoming of his jyotish knowledge.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 July 2007 at 02:33 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: What makes An Excellent Jyotishi?

Pranams,

Is it possible that you may tell / guide with a jyotish . I have been trying to discuss with one but some how the meeting is not happening.

Is this also a part of my 71/2 sani dasa ?

I want to understand how I can emerge from my present turbulant time ?

Thank you,

Sringeri

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    Namasté Sringeri

Quote Originally Posted by sringeri View Post
    Pranams,

Is it possible that you may tell / guide with a jyotish . I have been trying to discuss with one but some how the meeting is not happening.

Is this also a part of my 71/2 sani dasa ? I want to understand how I can emerge from my present turbulant time ? Thank you, Sringeri
    As of late my attention has moved to other studies then being an engaged jyotiṣa. Why so? From what I wrote above. I have been studying jyotiṣ for some time, yet it is time for me to increase my spiritual development. As mentioned , this compliments the left and right eye concept offered. I hope others on HDF will take up your question and address your need.

If that is not the case, I can recommend a jyotiṣa in the USA. He does charge $$ as this is his only source of income. I have been fortunate to know him for the last 10 years. If this is your desire, please email me personally and I will give you the relevant information you may need for an introduction.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 August 2009 at 02:48 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namast,

I'm reviving this thread to ask: Yajvan, if your last post still holds true, would you be willing to message me the contact information for the respected jyotiṣa that you mention? Several of the threads in this forum have only increased my regard for this science; I believe the guidance would help me, and I have a few questions as well. Any help would be much appreciated!

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information