Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Hindu's this threads for you!

Western Hindu's this threads for you!

Namaste,
    I am new to the board and was just wondering how many Members are Western Hindu's as in Hindus who were not born into Hinduism and who may have converted or came from another religious path outside of Hinduism. i myself was born into Christianity infact I was Baptised Catholic Lutheran and Mormon all by the age of 8 lol my parents were obviously confused. after haveing gone through a HUGE rebelious stage and haveing always been interested in Eastern thought and philosophy I found Hinduism or rather Hinduism found me! and I absolutly love it! its such a vast ocean of knowledge that I could seriously spend several lifetimes studying it indepth and probably still not know everything! anyway its become a very big part of my life a life style change for sure, my life totally revolves around my spiritual path!! I guess I would be considered a Shakta/Saivite meaning practiceing a Shakta path with worship of Lord Siva. as far as a Guru I have several I look to for Guidance, Shree Ma and Swamji(Devi Mandir). Bodhinatha Veylaniswami(himalayan academy). and a few others. anyway just curious if anyone else on the board is a Western Hindu! if so, please introduce yourself.

Aum Shanti

Re: Western Hindu's this threads for you!

namaskar!
    Bhairav, there are many western hindus on HDF and very knowledgeable ones too! I don't want to point and trust that they will identify themselves here.

You have an interesting story. I often wonder about how western hindus find hinduism or as you say how hinduism find them. I mean, for an indian it is much easier even if you are atheists or belong to another religion but how does westerners find hinduism. I find the stories of this very insipiring. It truly is linked to your karma in other lives, imho.

I digress.
    satay

Actually, with the IT boom, Hinduism is becoming more visible in the West. Locally, the Temple is holding outreach activities on culture, yoga, etc. Ironically, some people here are attributing the diabolical intent that Christians are attributed in India for these outreach activities. When will learn to be easy on each other?

WWW is making the planet small also.

Since I work on the fringes of healthcare, I find it interesting- the new marriages between East and West thought in the medical field. I think both approaches have something to offer & Eastern practices are gaining ground. I just went to a seminar by a neurologist on emotion, stress and the brain. They are uncovering scientifically many of the Eastern truths in Buddhism and Hinduism. Some Westerners are hearing this for the first time and I wanted to raise my hand and note that the East has been incorporating this for centuries.

I follow Eastern thought. I find a lot of truth in Hinduism but after learning more on these boards, I am not sure I want to identify totally with Hinduism. I lean East to Buddhist/Hindu thought and the complimentary Native American spirituality. Out of all the religions, I think they have the most accuracy. I was raised Christian also, but always thought much of it was logical. That is what I like about Eastern thought, it invites questions and critical thinking.
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

Hello, thanks for starting this thread.
    It's good for us members to get to know a little bit of each others' background.

I was raised Roman Catholic. At the age of 14, I joined the local Hare Krishnas' (ISKON). This was back in the late 60's, during the time of experimentation and counter-culture, prevalent back then among the younger generation.

Since then, I have drifted into Taoism, then into Zen Buddhism.
    Lately, I find myself drawn towards Tibetan Buddhism and of course, all aspects of Sanatana Dharma.

I firmly believe, that the Truth is One, but the paths are many.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Namaste,

I'm probably best described as a chaote, although those I know that call themselves that consider me more mystic or priestess than mage. I was born psychic, and basically have sought control and insight my entire life. Since I can remember, I've mixed and matched scripture, science fiction, math, quantum physics, occultism and whatever to attempt to create a structure to define my universe.

Several years ago, I prayed for direction - what to do next - which led me into a multi-year odessey of kundalini discipline and many revelations. Seeking a broader context, I searched on the 'net (sort of using the 'net as tarot cards or I Ching in a way) on words and ideas which came to mind. That led me to a number of groups (including this one).

Some call me kaula, but I claim no initiation except what I've been communicated in prayer and meditation.

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar!
    Bhairav, there are many western hindus on HDF and very knowledgeable ones too! I don't want to point and trust that they will identify themselves here.

You have an interesting story. I often wonder about how western hindus find hinduism or as you say how hinduism find them. I mean, for an indian it is much easier even if you are atheists or belong to another religion but how does westerners find hinduism. I find the stories of this very insipiring. It truly is linked to your karma in other lives, imho.

I digress.
    I was slowley introduced to hinduism I use to be really big into the Rave culture and was a Rave promoter for a while I started useing Hindu Iconography, Dietys and Symbols for flyers and nameing my events after hindu dietys. after that I just got drawn more and more into it then my mother bought me a brass Siva nataraja murthi for christmas and she is a strict mormon so it was obviously meant to be this way. And now like I said before its the dominante feature in my life and I love it I wouldnt trade it for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    Actually, with the IT boom, Hinduism is becoming more visible in the West. Locally, the Temple is holding outreach activities on culture, yoga, etc. Ironically, some people here are attributing the diabolical intent that Christians are attributed in India for these outreach activities. When will learn to be easy on each other?

WWW is making the planet small also.

Since I work on the fringes of healthcare, I find it interesting- the new marriages between East and West thought in the medical field. I think both approaches have something to offer & Eastern practices are gaining ground. I just went to a seminar by a neurologist on emotion, stress and the brain. They are uncovering scientifically many of the Eastern truths in Buddhism and Hinduism. Some Westerners are hearing this for the first time and I wanted to raise my hand and note that the East has been incorporating this for centuries.

I follow Eastern thought. I find a lot of truth in Hinduism but after learning more on these boards, I am not sure I want to identify totally with Hinduism. I lean East to Buddhist/Hindu thought and the complimentary Native American spirituality. Out of all the religions, I think they have the most accuracy. I was raised Christian also, but always thought much of it was logical. That is what I like about Eastern thought, it invites questions and critical thinking.
    seriously I dont know what I would do without the internet as far as Hinduism is concerned! and the problem I have with christianity is its so binding and restrictive and your relationship with god is through a Bishop or a priest ect.. rather then giving you the tools to develope your own personal relationship with god like hinduism. when I was a practicing Christian I seriously felt closer to God out in the woods or on a nature Hike in a near by canyon then I ever did in church.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Hello, thanks for starting this thread.
    It's good for us members to get to know a little bit of each others' background.

I was raised Roman Catholic. At the age of 14, I joined the local Hare Krishnas' (ISKON). This was back in the late 60's, during the time of experimentation and counter-culture, prevalent back then among the younger generation.

Since then, I have drifted into Taoism, then into Zen Buddhism.
    Lately, I find myself drawn towards Tibetan Buddhism and of course, all aspects of Sanatana Dharma.

I firmly believe, that the Truth is One, but the paths are many.
    I have a Tattoo of that saying in sanskrit!

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post

Namaste,

I'm probably best described as a chaote, although those I know that call themselves that consider me more mystic or priestess than mage. I was born psychic, and basically have sought control and insight my entire life. Since I can remember, I've mixed and matched scripture, science fiction, math, quantum physics, occultism and whatever to attempt to create a structure to define my universe.

Several years ago, I prayed for direction - what to do next - which led me into a multi-year odessey of kundalini discipline and many revelations. Seeking a broader context, I searched on the 'net (sort of using the 'net as tarot cards or I Ching in a way) on words and ideas which came to mind. That led me to a number of groups (including this one).

Some call me kaula, but I claim no initiation except what I've been communicated in prayer and meditation.

ZN
    Thats Awesome!! your path sounds really Tantric in nature. I think mine has also driffted in that Direction. I am very fascinated in the occult Sciences and after some strict saddhana I want to start practicing more of the occult such as Tarot, crystal gazeing etc... sometimes I think Divine intervention so to speak is all the initiation one needs as long as they are truely recieving it. I also want to get into Shamanism I think it would interlock well with Tantric hinduism.

Sorry for intruding in:

One sadhu once said that Hindu Dharma has its future in the West. The common values of Indian society has dropped so low that it cannot do justice to the broad range of thoughts of Sanatana Dharma any more.

Reading your stories, it seems, the observation might not be as fantastic as I had thought after all.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Sm, thank you for that enlightened, well thought out, well intentioned post. Thank God we have people like yourself to show us the way of the true Dharma with compassion and intelligence. This is the fantastic guiding light I have come to appreciate on this board, which so richly represents the Dharma way of life.
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

Quote Originally Posted by Bhairava108 View Post
    Thats Awesome!! your path sounds really Tantric in nature. I think mine has also driffted in that Direction. I am very fascinated in the occult Sciences and after some strict saddhana I want to start practicing more of the occult such as Tarot, crystal gazeing etc... sometimes I think Divine intervention so to speak is all the initiation one needs as long as they are truely recieving it. I also want to get into Shamanism I think it would interlock well with Tantric hinduism.
    Namaste Bhairava,

A question of personal nature...please feel free to ignore as ideally one may not answer this.

But are you initiated into a tantric lineage ? and if yes what is the orientation ? meaning achara (shakta has 9 acharas, some say 7 ~ 5 of which falls under kaula). Also which Maha Vidya do you sadhana of ?

Just curiosity, nothing else.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

I am interested to know a bit about sarabhanga giri (Though I feel that he may not oblige now).

One who has read the life of Shri Ramana Maharshi will know that when the call becomes overbearing, nothing else remains important. Just with a kaupina as possession (a piece of cloth around lion), he threw himself to Lord. What courage it takes to become entirely supportless? To live life only with the support of the Self?

Prostrations to such courage. Prostrations to such beings, since God has chosen them.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information