Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Western Hindu's this threads for you!

Re: Western Hindu's this threads for you!

Quote Originally Posted by vikz22 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of this definition of "western Hindu" or if i count as one, but i'm from England, born and raised, and was raised a hindu, (i guess thats a western hindu )

I do eat meat, but not beef (i guess thats a discussion more for the other threads on the forum )

I'm from a city called Leicester, which is fairly multicultural, but also has a large population of indians (mostly those that originated from East Africa)

Growing up, majority of my friends were hindus, few christians, and few muslims (this was more due to the area/school we went to, majority asian areas). This was good as we all could talk about hinduism (through the mind of a kid of course, no deep philosophical items!) and celebrate festivals together!

When i started my degree in Manchester, i began to hang out with indians less, purely because the majority of the people on my course, or those that lived with me, worked with me, were white/Christians. Its during these recent years that i've started to find out more about Hinduism, as it feels i'm losing touch with it slightly having no one really around me who is a hindu too.

As i work in science (particle physicist) a lot of people are atheists, so religion doesn't really come up much.

I joined this forum mainly to learn and read more about Hinduism from those more learned then me. I kinda want to learn more the philosophical side of Hinduism, literature and such, and to gain an understanding on what some of the rituals one does daily, or for festivals actually mean

In terms of how Hinduism shapes me, i don't really know how to answer this. I mean i don't eat beef, but i do eat meat. I don't often go to the mandir, except during major religious festivals (at the moment its only for Diwali).

i always thought there were few restrictions when growing up in relation to being a hindu, no hard set rules, or no strict adherence to rules if you don't want, its down to the person to choose how they lead their life. I like the idea of karma, and dharma, compared with the more hard fast rules of Judaism, Christianity, Islam.

This is a pretty garbled response to the opening post of this thread, so apologies for that, but it probably shows the level of confusion and lack of clarity i currently feel,

thanks

Vikash
    Hey Vikash, good to meet you! I work in your guys' sister field, particle astrophysics. I think our experience is the same with the large number of atheists. But I've found that they are mostly atheist out of a dislike of the dominant religion in America and Europe, and are usually interested in talking to me about Hinduism. Wish I had more to tell them.

It looks like us "Western Hindus" (by which I mean Indians born and raised in the West) might share a common thread. I also grew up having mostly Hindu friends, went off to college and spent most of my time with white people, and found that I didn't really know anything about Hinduism. Good to see I'm not the only one on this forum.

Namaste Everyone!

I'm glad to see this thread. It helps to read about other western Hindu experiences.

I was raised by Catholic parents - but because of moving around a lot spent time in Lutheran and Baptist environments.

Despite not practicing the faith I grew up with since highschool, I can honestly say I have no negative personal experiences with Christianity. A lot of people break away because of negative experiences, which is very understandable. I broke away simply because God wasn't "speaking to me" anymore. I didn't sense a connection anymore. As a child, church was all about singing and community - as you grow up and are expected to "take it seriously" suddenly, all the joy was gone.

So at various points in my life I was agnostic, then atheist. I thought Atheism would solve the "God Problem" by just getting rid of God. But that's not really how it works. There are still empty spaces to fill and questions that need answering.

My attraction to Hinduism has happened slowly over the last 5 years or so and has recently blossomed in the last 6 months.

I am happy for those who feel comfortable proclaiming their new faith. I am sadly not there yet. I'm getting there though. I know how Hinduism is perceived by White, Christian America - because that's where I came from. I know my family and friends would accept it on the surface. As in, they aren't going to violently protest or disown me. But I still doubt they will take my new faith seriously.

Now, I know intellectually their opinion shouldn't matter. But I know I am psychologically susceptible to their judgement.

I think Hinduism is looked askance at for the same reasons Wicca or other Pagan religions are. Many people who grow up in traditional Christian household look at the "idol worship" and the complex rituals and think there some sort of black magic involved. Or that because it's unfamiliar it must a be a cult. I know exactly what my mother would think: "You can't be Hindu because you didn't grow up Hindu and you're not Indian."

Also, there is a popular term that young, guilty, white kids like to use a lot: "Cultural Appropriation". Since Hinduism is strongly associated with Indian culture, to practice it as a Caucasian American is viewed as cultural appropriation - or playing "dress up".

I look forward to the day when I feel empowered enough to announce my new faith. It is coming soon - I can feel that much. But we shall see.

Thanks for reading!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Hey Vikash, good to meet you! I work in your guys' sister field, particle astrophysics. I think our experience is the same with the large number of atheists. But I've found that they are mostly atheist out of a dislike of the dominant religion in America and Europe, and are usually interested in talking to me about Hinduism. Wish I had more to tell them.

It looks like us "Western Hindus" (by which I mean Indians born and raised in the West) might share a common thread. I also grew up having mostly Hindu friends, went off to college and spent most of my time with white people, and found that I didn't really know anything about Hinduism. Good to see I'm not the only one on this forum.

Hi Sanjaya!!

nice to meet a fellow physicist!!

you're right, not many people know about hinduism in this field, they only tend to know about the abrahamic religions! you are also right in the fact that they are fascinated with Hinduism since we have such vibrant and colourful celebrations! (had a discussion recently with my superior about raksha banden, and the rakhis on my arm)

Quote Originally Posted by vikz22 View Post

you are also right in the fact that they are fascinated with Hinduism since we have such vibrant and colourful celebrations! (had a discussion recently with my superior about raksha banden, and the rakhis on my arm)

It's wonderful to hear that you were greeted with healthy curiosity! It's good to know that some outside the faith are brave enough to ask questions instead sit and wonder.

Thread Information