Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: God the father

God the father

Namaskar,
    This question is for our christian friends on HDF.

Why relationship with God is limited to the 'father-child' relationship only?

Why can't the relationship be like 'mother-child', 'brother-brother', 'sister-sister', 'friend-friend' etc.?

Any thoughts?
    satay

Re: God the father

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar,

Why can't the relationship be like 'mother-child', 'brother-brother', 'sister-sister', 'friend-friend' etc.?

Any thoughts?

Namaste satay,

Although, I am no longer a Christian, I did come from a Christian (Catholic) background, so I can respond to this thread.

The Christian "father-child" relationship is due to the fact that Christianity
    is about control. As a father dictates what a child must do and demands strict adherence, absolute obedience to certain commmandments, or else the child is punished and to burn in hell forever.

Whatever happened to the "God is Love" if He allows even one of His children to burn in hell forever?

Christianity is big on control issues in line with "Obey me, or else you die and burn in hell forever".

Whereas the Dharmaic religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism) promote inward introspection, and Self-inquiry leading to Self-realization.
    It is likened to embarking on a journey, an evolution, until one merges with the Primal Soul.

To the Buddhist, heaven and hell are states of mind.
    The Christian does not realize that he is in hell already.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaskar,

Any thoughts?
    Well, I am not a Christian friend, but.....In most forms of Christianity you could have the friend-friend relationship on some level. Out of the ones you mentioned, this would be the most accepted in Christianity. Possibly even the brother relationship on some level, in terms of the Christ relationship. Of course, we cannot have any feminine relationships, because that would be giving women too much power. Don't want any uppity women running rampant thinking they are equal. ; )
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

I often wonder about why there is a 'father' and a 'son' and the 'holy spirit' but there is no 'mother'.
    Where is the mother in this divine relationship?

Does God in christian view have both masculine and feminine attributes? Not sure...
    satay

No, there is no feminity in the Diety. The Bible and Christianity is a patriarch system. Some even use the Bible to oppress women, although not all Christian denominations. The Adam and Eve thing is the root of it all and it goes downhill from there for women. Adam was supposedly created in God's image. Eve was supposedly created to be Adam's helpmate. And, some denominations (not all and not really most mainstream I would say) interpret Eve as the weaker one for taking the apple.

You know that yummy apple!
    Those who in penance and faith dwell in the forest, peaceful and wise,living a mendicant's life, free from passion depart through the door ofthe sun to the place of the immortal Person, the imperishable Self.Atharva Veda, Mundaka Upanishad 1.2.11. ve p. 415

My father thought he was God.

I spent the better part of my childhood proving to him that he wasn't more exceptional than my comprehension of him.

That really irked him

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post

I spent the better part of my childhood proving to him that he wasn't more exceptional than my comprehension of him. That really irked him

Namaste,
    ZN
    Do you think now you would have a change of heart? Perhaps he knew something?
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post

I spent the better part of my childhood proving to him that he wasn't more exceptional than my comprehension of him.

That really irked him

Namaste,
    ZN

Saying "I am God" or saying "I am not God" is the same thing.

Why?

In the words of Sri Ramana Maharshi, "As long as the I-sense lasts, so long are true Knowledge (jnana) and Liberation (mukti) impossible."
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    --
    In the words of Sri Ramana Maharshi, "As long as the I-sense lasts, so long are true Knowledge (jnana) and Liberation (mukti) impossible."
    Jai Jai Ramana. Jai Jai Shiva
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaskar all,

I suppose my question is this, 'if there is no feminine quality in God and he is only the father and not the mother, then how did he design the first woman?'

There must be some hint of feminine quality in God for him to be able to design the first woman, the seed must have been there somewhere in him. So from this I conclude that since he is the originator/source/designer of woman as well as man that he must himself have had these qualities that man and woman posses and thus calling him father only is an incomplete understanding.

It is strange that the Christian view of the divine is only limited to men. What about the feminine nature that exists in the universe? Whats the source of this? And perhaps more importantly, whats the purpose of it? Why was not another man created as helpmate of the first man son of God (adam)?
    satay

Thread Information