Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reality of the Third State

Re: Reality of the Third State

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Atanu,

Thanks for this collection. It is a valuable adjunct to other discussions!
    Thank You Sarabhanga Ji and Yajvan Ji,

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 09 June 2009 at 04:31 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Self and Consciousness

Self is as is pure Consciousness -- Brahman. Who is this HE, who went abroad?

Aitareya Upanishad

III-i-3: This One is (the inferior) Brahman; this is Indra, this is Prajapati; this is all these gods; and this is these five elements, viz. earth, air, space, water, fire; and this is all these (big creatures), together with the small ones, that are the procreators of others and referable in pairs – to wit, those that are born of eggs, of wombs, of moisture of the earth, viz. horses, cattle, men, elephants, and all the creatures that there are which move or fly and those which do not move. All these have Consciousness as the giver of their reality; all these are impelled by Consciousness; the universe has Consciousness as its eye and Consciousness is its end. Consciousness is Brahman.

III-i-4: Through this Self that is Consciousness, he ascended higher up from this world, and getting all desires fulfilled in that heavenly world, he became immortal, he became immortal.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Vena, the clear noon sun is the consciousness in deep sleep. We do not know it.

Maha-Narayana Upanishad

XII-10: The syllable Om conceived as the Bull possesses four horns, three feet and two heads. He has seven hands. This Bull connected in a threefold manner, eloquently declares the Supreme. The Self-luminous Deity has entered the mortals everywhere.

XII-11: God-like sages attained in the order (of their spiritual practices) the Self-luminous Reality laid in the three states of consciousness and secretly held by the teachers who praise it by chants in the Vedic speech (the great formulas such as ‘Thou art That’). Indra or Virat, the regent of the visible universe and the waking consciousness created one, the visible world. Surya representing Taijasa and Hiranyagarbha created one, namely, the world of dream, and from Vena came the remaining one, the dreamless sleep. By the self-supporting Paramatman all these threefold categories were fashioned.
    Namaste atanu - nice collection. You have an interpretation for these figurative descriptions of the bull? Let me guess...or you have a better( or the correct) one?

four horns - the chatuSpAd
    three feet - bhU, bhuva and suva
    Two heads - annam and prANa
    seven limbs - the saptAnga, agnir murdha, cakshushi candrasuryau, disah srotre, vak vivritasca vedah vayuh pranah, hridayam visvamasya, padbhyam prithivi esha sarva bhutantaratma.
    He is the one on whom our hope depends. For if Hanuman survives, all we though dead are yet alive. But if his precious life be lost though living still we are but dead: He is our hope and sure relief -Jambavan (Yuddha Kanda. 74). Impossibility=Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Madhavan View Post
    Namaste atanu - nice collection. You have an interpretation for these figurative descriptions of the bull? Let me guess...or you have a better( or the correct) one?

four horns - the chatuSpAd
    three feet - bhU, bhuva and suva
    Two heads - annam and prANa
    seven limbs - the saptAnga, agnir murdha, cakshushi candrasuryau, disah srotre, vak vivritasca vedah vayuh pranah, hridayam visvamasya, padbhyam prithivi esha sarva bhutantaratma.
    Namaskar Madhavan,

Thank you for this valuable addition. I have seen all of these categories described in some purport, which I do not remember now. If the descriptions come again to me, I will post them.

But thank you for enriching this. Continue to enrich please.

(7) There is the person in the eye, there is he who walks as in sleep, he who is sound asleep, and he who is above the sleeper: these are the four conditions (of the Self), and the fourth is greater than all.

(8) Brahman with one foot moves in the three, and Brahman with three feet is in the last.

Regards

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 09 June 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaskar Madhavan,

Thank you for this valuable addition. I cannot guess your guess, but I have no problem to accept that except from chatuspad nothing much matters to me and neither do I know these in detail. I have seen all of these categories described in some purport, which I do not remember now. If the descriptions come again to me, I will post them.
    I have simply connected this with the third chapter of the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, where the question arises about the number of gods. Starting from 33 million, it is reduced to 33, then to 8, then to 6, then 3, then 2 , then one and half and finally one, showing how Brahman manifests as many gods. The chatuSpAd is one way of respresenting the Brahman, and all these are equivalent representations. Most of these descriptions are used in various forms of sAdhana and frequently employed in various yantras, so they are all very useful concepts.( the various lines and corners of many yantras will correspond to one of these gods or their equivalents in terms of porfolio and a bindu representing the Absolute)
    He is the one on whom our hope depends. For if Hanuman survives, all we though dead are yet alive. But if his precious life be lost though living still we are but dead: He is our hope and sure relief -Jambavan (Yuddha Kanda. 74). Impossibility=Hanuman

Thread Information