Thread: Sri Vaikuntha,the spiritual world of Lord Vishnu

Sri Vaikuntha,the spiritual world of Lord Vishnu

Namaste all.
    Please note that I don't mean begin any discussion about the fact if the description of Sri Vaikuntha is true or symbolic.I just want show how Sri Vaikuntha,the spiritual world where Lord Vishnu lives and where the muktas go,is descripted in the hindu scriptures.
    By http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/canto2/chapter9.html
    (1) S'uka said: 'Without the drive of the [Super-]soul, o King, there will never be any good in the spirited consciousness of the beyond relating to the material body, which is then to the seer completely like in a dream. (2) Driven in matter the many forms that appear to have manifested experience different sorts of enjoyment according the modes of the material world and thus they think of 'I' and 'mine'. (3) Whenever indeed, in his own glory of transcendence to the time of the material energy, he [the living entity] enjoys the freedom from misconceptions, then, in that fullness, he will give up those two. (4) 'The reality of the soul is the goal of purification' is what the Supreme Lord factually told the Creator showing him His Form when he was without any misunderstanding in vows and worship (5) He, the first godly person in the universe, as the supreme spiritual teacher, began from his own divine position [on the lotus of the creation] to reflect on the matter of where it came from and he could not figure out what the directions and the ways were of how all should be put together materially.

(6) Once when he was immersed in thinking thus, he heard two syllables being spoken which were the sixteenth [ta] and the twenty-first [pa] of the spars'a-alphabeth and, joined together, became known as the wealth of the renounced order, o King [tapas means penance]. (7) When he heard that, he looked all sides to see the speaker, but there was no one to be found and from where he sat in his divine position he then thought it the best to pay attention to doing penance as he was instructed. (8) With a spotless vision for a thousand godly years, he as the controller of both life and mind, enlightened all the worlds executing such a penance in the past, being of all the one's doing penance the one of the severest practice.

(9) Unto him, the Supreme Lord being pleased by his penance, manifested His own abode [also called Vaikunthha, the place without fear], beyond which no other world is found and which is worshiped as the place where the five miseries of material life [ignorance, selfhood, attachment, hatred and death-fear] have completely ceased with persons who without illusion and fear of existence are of perfect selfrealization. (10) There, the mode of goodness prevails over the other two of passion and slowness without them ever being mixed with it, nor is there the influence of time, the external energy or what to say of [the influence of] others; there both the theists and atheists worship the Lord as devotees. (11) Sky-bluish and glowing with lotuslike eyes, very attractive and youthful with yellowish dress, all of them there have the four arms and the luster of pearls and effulgence of fine ornaments. (12) Some radiate like coral or diamonds, with heads blooming like a celestial lotus with earrings and garlands. (13) In the midst of that brilliance they live in high rising buildings specially designed for the great devotees of the Lord, with ladies beautiful like lightening who have an electrifying celestial complexion as if they are the clouds in the sky. (14) The goddess there is doing devotional service to the lotus feet of the Lord of praise with the help of diverse paraphernalia and a following of dearmost associates who moved by the company [of Apsarā's] that took to the shelter of the [everlasting season of] spring are singing their songs. (15) There one surrounds the Lord of the entire community of devotees, of the goddess, of the Universe and the sacrifice - the Almighty One, who is being served in transcendental love by the foremost associates like Sunanda, Nanda, Prabala and Arhana. (16) The servitors affectionately facing Him are intoxicated by the very pleasing sight of His smile, reddish eyes, His face with His helmet and earrings, His four hands, yellow dress, his marked chest and the goddess of fortune at His side. (17) Adorable and seated on His throne He, accompanied by the opulence of His four [matter, original person, principles and ego] sixteen [the five elements, perceptive and working senses, and mind] and fivefold energies [sense objects of form, taste, sound, smell and touch] and other personal prowesses He sometimes shows [the eight siddhi's or mystic powers], verily enjoys His abode as the Supreme Lord.
    -Srimad Bhagavata Purana,Canto 2,Chapter 9

By http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/canto3/chapter15.html
    (11) Maitreya said: 'Smilingly he the self-born, o mighty armed one, who by the prayers is understood as the original possessor of all opulence, replied the godly satisfying them with sweet words. (12) Brahmā said: 'Those headed by Sanaka [Sanātana, Sanandana en Sanat-kumāra] where, before you, born from my mind and traveled the peoples of the spiritual and material worlds without any desire. (13) Once upon a time did they, by the Supreme Personality of Lord Vishnu freed from all contamination, enter Vaikunthha, the heavenly abode worshiped by people everywhere. (14) All the persons living there have the same form as the Lord of Vaikunthha and live without desire because of their devotional service of continuous worship of the Supreme Personality. (15) There the original person is the Supreme Lord Himself who is understood by scripture in accepting, in the mode of goodness, the uncontaminated of His own associates, which increases our happiness about the personification of the religious principles. (16) At Vaikunthha, where everything is spiritual and personal, there are forests in the name of happiness that yield to all desires with trees that throughout all seasons are filled with splendid flowers and fruits. (17) Highly elevated they along with their wives are always singing there, free from all inauspicious qualities, of the Supreme Lord, deriding even the mind expanding fragrance of the mādhavi flowers full of nectar blossoming in the midst of the water. (18) The tumult of pigeons, cuckoos, cranes, cakravāka's, and gallinules, swans, parrots, partridges and peacocks but for a moment is stopped by the loud humming of the king of the bumblebees as he sings the glories of the Lord. (19) The fragrance of the mandāra, kunda, kurabaka, utpala, campaka, arna, punnāga, nāgakes'ara, bakula, lily and pārijātā, being worshiped in the good mindedness of the austerity of Vaikunthha, finds there its full glory in a garland of tulsī-leaves. (20) Simply by obeisance to the Lord His feet the devotees attained to palaces, made of lapis lazuli with emeralds and gold, of which the inhabitants have large hips and beautiful smiling faces. But with their minds absorbed in Krishna this does not give rise to any lust with their friendly laughing and joking. (21) Assuming the beautiful body of the goddess of fortune do their leg bangles tinkle as they are playing with lotusflowers in the house of the Lord where they, free from all faults, see to it that its gold decorated walls are wiped crystal clear in the care for others to be worthy of the grace. (22) In the ponds with banks of coral they offer in their gardens surrounded by their maidservants the Lord tulsī leaves, seeing in the clear nectarine water the tilaka high on their noses, thinking their faces thus kissed by the Lord as being part of His beauty. (23) Alas, how unfortunate are the ones who never get near to this Vaikunthha creation of the vanquisher of all sin, but rather hear of other subject matter in bad words that kill the intelligence. Such persons, away from the values of life, are, devoid of all shelter, thrown into the darkness. (24) Those and us who so desired certainly attained to the human form of life and knowledge of the subject matter of the Absolute with the religious principles. Where one is not in such respect of the Supreme Lord, one is alas performing in the bewilderment of His all-pervading illusory energy. (25) Although in association [of Vaikunthha] one refrains from strict austerity and the following in the footsteps of the important wise, one certainly desires there to hear, above hearing from us, about the good qualities from His associates. Discussing amongst one other the glories, in ecstasy of the attraction they are with tears in their eyes and have their bodies shivering.'
    (26) The sages [led by Sanaka] upon reaching that place by dint of their spiritual potency attained to an unprecedented supreme happiness seeing it illumined by the highly elevated of the best of devotees and predominated by the Teacher of the Universe, who of all the world is the only one worthy of worship.

Sri Vaikunta Gadhyam is a composition of Srimad Ramanuja-acharya.
    By http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/new...newthread&f=28
    Sri Vaikunta Gadhyam

SRI:

SrimathE RamnujAya Namah:

This "Sri Vaikunta Gadhyam" is the third Gadhyam of our AchAryA's Gadhya trayam- (Let us immerse ourselves into this excellent composition and get a darshan of Sriya: Pathih Sriman NarayaNa's Vaikuntam and be blessed by the AchAryA and Divya Dampathis

1.svAdheena trividha chEtanAchEtana.saraNa manuvrajEth..

"Emperumaan- Bhagawaan- the One who has and holds sway over the ChEthanAs (sentient) namely., bhaktha, muktha and nithya varieties ., and their existence and activities; Also over the AchEthanAs (Non-sentient beings); He is the One who is NOT affected by nor influenced by miseries, pApa and puNya (sinful and virtuous) karmAs; He is the One who has excellent Greatest innumerable kalyANa GuNAs namely., jnAnam, bhalam, aishvaryam, veeryam, shakti, and is an Ocean of such Most Auspicious attributes; - He is the Foremost among men; I shall consider Him as my Master, Friend, Teacher at all times and I shall render service to His Lotus Feet and only such thought should prevail in my mind always;

To attain that Nitya kaimkaryam, even after wasting the Thousands of ages (births), with a thinking that there are OTHER MEANS but to surrender at the Lotus Feet of Him- who is the Ocean of Mercy for all beings; who has the unbounded nature of being good to anyone; who thrills the minds of dEvAs, human beings and all other beings with His Grand GuNAs; who is the Ocean of Love for His bhagavatOttamaaLs; who considers being in the company of His devotees as the Biggest enjoyment; who has the Grandest attributes in Him; Such Sriman NarayaNan's Lotus Feet- I shall think at all times that these Two Feet, which are the only means for salvation for the Athmaa ;There are no OTHER means for salvation - With that thinking I shall surrender at His Feet;

2.thathaccha^EanusmarEth..

"Thereafter, everyday, I shall continue to think in this manner for the salvation of my Athman;

3.chathur dasa bhuvanaathmaka maNdambhagavthE vinEdhayath..

SRI VAIKUNTAM The Universe which consists of fourteen lOkAs; beyond that, the seven aavaraNangaL which are ten times the size of these Universes; Beyond these Cause and Effect Groups; there exists "parama aakAsam" the One which can NOT be comprehended /attained even by the minds and speeches of Brahmaa and others- That is Sri Vaikuntam, the Divya lOkam. In that lOkam populated by the likes of sanathkumArA known for their jnAnam, by the like of BrahmA, RudrA et al known for their karma bhavanA, likes of mahAthmAs known for their devotion to their (our) Lord, there is ONE BIG ThirukkOil (temple) whose Length and Breadth can NOT be measured at all - which is surrounded by thousands of Gardens full of flowers and kaRpakA trees (capable of giving whatever one wishes) - which is surrounded by thousands of beautiful ramparts; In that temple, there is an exquisitely beautiful "asthAna maNtapam" (Hall?) which has hundreds of thousands of "Rathna" pillars, floor made of gems, curtains, etc., surrounded by trees which shower most fragrant flowers always, at all times; There are Halls surrounded by kaRpaka trees yielding pArijAtha flowers; These halls always look as if they have just been built; Some of thses halls are meant for Sriman NarayaNan's Divya leelAs and some others are meant for AlarmEl mangai's Divya leelAs and others are meant for the enjoyment of Divya Dampathis together; There are hundreds of thousands of gardens where parrots, peacocks, cuckoos etc., add beauty to them. They are surrounded by Streams of water where crystal clear water flows; they are filled by Divine Birds which are extremely beautiful to look at and whose sweet voices are pleasing to hear; Divine Swans swim in those streams of water which flow at SriVaikuntam; There are beautiful play grounds which stupefy people who see them; In those play grounds there are beds made of flowers at different places; In one of those playgrounds, where there are honey - bees sing merrily and where sandal, camphor, Divya pushpanGaL etc., add sughandha (Good) smell to the place; Amidst such a place, there is a Divine Beautiful Cot on which is seated, AdisEshan - and Above AdhsEshA;-

SRI MAHA LAKSHMI

She illumines the Entire dEvalOkam with Her lustre; the One who directs the kaimkaryams for the Lord (that has to be done by sEshan) and VishvaksEnar; She is EQUAL to The Lord in GuNAS, Form and the Attributes in all respects- With Such Sri MahAlakshmi, Our Emperumaan adorns the place;

The BEAUTY OF BAGAWAN

Like the just bloomed Red Lotus flower, the kaNNazhgan, Blue hued Lord,- who wears the glittering peethAmbharam, who enlightens the Whole world with His Cool, Pure, ThirumEni;- incomprehensible, Divine, Wonderful, Ever permanent, Youthful, Ocean of Beauty; Since His body is so tender, it appears as if due to exertion, there are few droplets of sweat on His forehead and few strands of dark hair falling on His forehead; - The One, who has the Beautiful eyes as if it is just bloomed Lotus flower, who has the eye brows like the creeper, who has the Most beautiful lower lip, who has the sweet, pleasing smile on His lips, who has soft cheeks, sharp, prominent nose, Bright, long, ear studs (kuNdalanGaL) that hang down to the shoulders; who has the neck like the Conch, who has the calf muscles (that have been pressed by the dEvis and contain the fallen flowers form dEvis' heads)- and the Four long hands extending upto the Calf muscles; who has the Most Beautiful lines in His soles of His Feet, which are red in colour like Red Lotuses; who has the Beautiful rings in His fingers; who has the Fresh Red Lotus like Feet;

Ornaments (AabharaNanGaL)

To touch they are very soft and exude excellent fragrance in them; they are extermely beautiful to look at (because they adorn His Divine Body); these are kireetam (Crown), makutam, choodavathamsam, makarakuNtalam, neckalce, haaram, thOL vaLai, bangles, Sri Vathsam, Kausthupam, Pearl Necklace, araignAN, peethAmbharam, thru vayiRRUp pattam, thiruvadich chilambhu, - such ornaments adorn the Lord; Beautiful Vaijayanthi vanamaali adorns Him;

Sanghu, chakrA, Divine Sword, Saarngham, - such srong Divine weapons are borne by Him; By delegating and giving the necessary powers to VishvaksEnar who just by thinking can create, sustain and destroy the Entire Universe; - Such Emperumaan sits surrounded by NitysUris, who by nature do not have the misfortunes that the samsaaris (like us) are burdened with;

NityasUris

By nature, they are eternally free souls; none that samsaaris have; they consider the servitude to the Lord as the Only enjoyment- Such Divya sooris (like GarudA) serve Him; -

The One, who by just a mere glance can enliven the Universe with Happiness; - His nectar of words that comes from the middle of The Red Lotus-like face; which adorns the Red Lotus; which is adorned by Divine GhAmbeeryam, OudhAryam, mAthuryam and such Great kalyANa GuNAs; which fill the valleys in everyone's minds; - Such Emperumaan- seeing Him in our minds; thinking and realizing Him and His Primordial Nature; -

Longing Desire of Athmaa

Sriman NarayaNan He is the Master of my kulam, the Lord of my kulam, the Wealth of my kulam; My Enjoyment, My mother, My father, My Everything- Such Sriman NarayaNan When will I see Him? When will I get to The Lotus Feet of my Bhagawaan? When will I get the only desire to render service to His Lotus Feet and remove all other desires and all other natures of all kinds of samsaaris and attain His Feet?

When will I get the capacity to render kaimkaryam to Bhagawaan and consider that alone as the Enjoyment and perform kainkaryam? When will Bhagawaan look at me with His cool eyes and speak to me lovingly, majestically and sweetly and command me to render the kainkaryam?

Growing such a desire to render the kaikaryam to the Lord, (which also is growing due to His GRACE only ) approaching the Lord with that desire, I approach SRI VAIKUNTANATHAN, who sits on the lap of AdhisEshan-

ATMA NIVEDHANAM

When I approach The One who sits along with Sri MahAlakshmi, on the lap of Adi sEshan, The One who can be attained by GarudA et al., - Seeing such Bhagawaan- "Oh Sriman NARAYANAA! The One who stays with all His parivaar (entourage)!" addressing the Lord like that from afar, from a long distance, from then on,- continue to prostrate on the Ground towards the Direction where He sits, - with full of fear (due to Great respect), politeness, pay obeisance to the Lord and all others sitting in that Hall, the Commander-in-Chief, The Gate keepers, et al., and be seen and blessed by each of their merciful eyes; - Finally approach the Lord very closely and stay very near to Him and utter the ThiruvashtAkshara manthram and beg Him saying " Please grant me the capacity to render Nitya kainkaryam to YOU, My Lord, without any interruption and without any other fruit;" With such yAchakam (begging), I should surrender myself to the Lord.

Last edited by orlando; 23 April 2006 at 01:13 PM.

4. thathO bhagawathA swayamEva^E.bhagavantha mupaasithE^E

Bhagawaan considers and takes care "Then, Bhagawaan by Himself, for the salvation of athmaa, - looks very lovingly, and very much mercifully at me; I at all times, at all situations, will be enabled to have the necessary capacity to be the Humble servant; and will be permitted to be so; will pay obeisance to the Lord with full of Great fear (due to enormous reverence and respect for Him) and will serve Him with Folded arms and render service to Him.

5. Thathascha ^EavalOkayan aasitha..

The Ultimate Bliss of Bhagawaan's Darshanam " Then, enjoying all natures of the Lord, due to the Great infinite amount of love and bhakti for the Lord, there can not be any other doing, seeing, thinking- such actions are not possible to be carried out by me any more (by His grace); begging only for being His servant exclusively; Looking at HIM UNITERRUPTEDLY like a CRYSTAL CLEAR CONTINUOUS STREAM of seeing HIM and shall continue to do so;

6. ThathO bhagawathO swayamEva^Esukhamaaseetha..

The Athma sukham Granted By Bhagawaan Then, Bhagawaan, by Himself, for the salvation of athmaa, looks at ME, very much lovingly, affectionately, with a GENTLE SMILE CALLS ME, and removing all kinds of SORROWS, GRANTING THE UNBOUNDED, UNPARALLELED, ENJOYMENT OF KEEPING HIS LOTUS FEET ON MY HEAD- Like that Meditate on Him and let all parts (of the Body, Mind and the Intellect and Athmaa?) be immersed in THE OCEAN OF NECTAR AND ENJOYING THE GREATEST BLISS FOR EVER AND EVER;

Dearest BhAgavatOttamALs, Such is the most Excellent composition of our AchAryA, YathirAjA, Sri RamanujAchArya, the third of his Gadhya trayam (Sri ranga Gadhyam, SaraNAgathi Gadhyam,and thirdly Sri Vaikunta Gadhyam). It is Divya dampatis' grace that has enabled me to complete this herculean task and your bhakti and devotion that makes it more palatable. Be blessed with our AchAryA's tremendous enjoyment and bhakti for Sriya: pathih Sriman NarayaNan.

NarayaNa dAsan

Madhavakkannan

Please if you find other description of Sri Vaikuntha in other hindu scriptures like puranas,ramayana,mahabharata,ecc post them here.Thanks.
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Na,aste,

Tantras usually describe Vaikuntha as an abode of Svadhishthana-chakra, where Vishnu is situated with Rakini-shakti (or Krishna with Radha). See Nirvana-tantra and Rudra-yamala for the reference.

Thread Information