Thread: The 5th Veda - Mahabharata

Threaded View

The 5th Veda - Mahabharata

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have been blessed to start the complete 18 parvas (divisions) of the Mahabharata of Veda Vyasa [ Krsna-Dwaipayna]. It is said Vyasa's work took 3 years to complete, as a daily area of work for him. I thought from time to time we on HDF could discuss this great work & get to the meaning behind the words whenever possible.

I have read the abridged version by C.Rajagopalcachari. I am now delighted to read Kisar Mohan Ganguli's complete translation. His translation project took 13 years (1883 to 1896) to complete; Before submitting the translation to print Ganguli-ji reviewed each sloka for accuracy.

As with most great works many slokas were exceedingly difficult to construe in Sanskrit let alone convert to English, yet Ganguli-ji looked to others to insure the best renderings and comprehension on this matter.
    I would suggest posting a few ideas from this 5th veda will be rewarding as only good can come of this within a reasonable group of people on HDF. Please feel free to post your thoughts on this, and on parts that you have perhaps read that have merit for others to consider.

I thought the first place to start was the lineage of this word भरत bharata . I ask sarabhanga to please add his thoughts on the etymology as he sees fit and correct me as needed, as I am not the final authority, yet only delight in the opportunity to offer some of this noble work to those that wish to read on.
    भरत bharata
    भारत bhārata
    भार bhāra
    bhArata =descended from Bharata or the Bharatas
    Bharata =to be or being maintained ; an actor , dancer , tumbler ;
    Bharata = son of King Dushyanta [ Dushmanta ] and Sakuntala - named as the cherished one, the supported
    Bharatha - a world-protector
    bhAratasattama - the best of the descendants of Bharata

From The Mahabharata, Adi Parva, Sub Section Sambhava Parva, stitched together to tell the story.

Its very interesting to consider the lineage of this child Bharata. His mother Sakuntala, was the child of great muni Viswamitra (friend of the universe) and Menaka, an apsara [अप्सरस्celestial nymph], was sent by Indra himself to entice Viswamitra to lose his focus during his tapas;
    Indra was intimidated by Viswamitra's intensity as he was gaining increase merit; Indra thought he himself would lose his seat to Viswamitra, so he sent Menaka to flirt and 'sport' with him to throw him off balance, thus pulling him of his tapas and break-up the strength being gained.

Menaka was successful , and from their union a child was born. Yet Menaka left this daughter of hers along the banks of the river Malini, and departed. This child alone was protected by the vultures in the area, from harm (lions and tigers, rakshasa). This baby was found by the rishi Kanwa, of the kasyapa lineage (gotra).

Due to finding the child unharmed and protected by the vultures, she was named Sakuntala [शकुन्तला]or bird protected [ from sakuntas or birds, and the root शकुनि śakuni or large bird]. Sakuntala was then raised by the muni in the forest with other rishi-s in a very Divine place.

A King one day entered this forest and noticed its vibrancy, filled with flowers, saman hymns being chanted, brahmanas all around, chanting, japa, homam , etc. a very sacred retreat. This king was Dushamana, a descendent of Puru*, and he wanted to meet the rishi kanwa. At that time he was not at his residence, yet his daughter, Sakuntala, met him and honored him as a guest and as a monarch.

The King was quite inquisitive as to how this great muni kanwa of high esthetic ranks and therefore a brahmacharin would have a child and break his celibacy. He asked Sakuntala, and she told the King the whole story of her past [Viswamitra + Menaka episode] and finally to the home of her father.

The King, listening, became enchanted with Sakuntala, asked her [ after she completed the story] if she would be his wife. She suggested that he wait for Kanwa to return so it can be done properly, yet the King was adamant about this and convinced her to take his hand in marriage. Sakuntala said, under one condition: The King promise that when a son is born from this marriage that he would be the heir to the thrown. The King agreed, and in fact the marriage was consummated at that time.

The King said he was now returning to his capitol, and in time would send for Sakuntala; That 'call' did not happen. Sakuntala gave birth to a boy with great virtue & strength. The rishi Kanwa's dwellers at his ashram seeing strength of this boy and his abilities called him Sarvadamana or the subduer of all. Rishi Kanwa said the time has come to go to the capitol, visit the King and for the boys installation of heir-apparent.

When Sakuntala arrived at the palace and gained audience with the King, she said 'This is thy son O King! Let him be installed as the heir apparent'. The King said, I do not recall this... and who are you, this wicked woman in ascetic clothing? I do not remember having any connection with you , so go or stay or do as you please.

Well , Sakuntala was aghast at this. Her anger rose as her eyes turned to copper and her lips quivered. for the next 2 1/2 pages Sakuntala states her argument to the King, and is very caustic to him to say the least. Yet the King continues to say I do not recall what you say and women generally speak untruths. He also goes out of his way to find fault with her mother Menaka.

Sakuntala finishes her rational yet passionate speech, then left his presence. Upon that happening a voice came from the sky and said the following to the king, as his priests and ministers too were gathered: 'The mother is but a sheath of flesh, the son spring from the father is the father himself. Therefore Dushmana cherish thy son and insult not Sakuntala. You are the progenitor of this boy and Sakuntala has spoken the truth. Because this child is to be cherished by you let him be known as Bharata, the cherished.'

As you would expect this puts a different spin on the existing condition, yes? Yet the King's logic is interesting. He said I knew all along this boy was my son. If I would have taken this son on Sakuntala's words alone, unknown to the people in my kingdom, they would have been suspicious of this event and would have seen Sarvadamana as impure. Yet having the celestial messenger arrive, he established the purity of the boy.

To this, the King then welcomed Bharata with open arms, and had pacifying words for Sakuntala. He explained his concern of having his affair privately with her back when he first met her and had concerns of his people. That is, the kingdom may have supposed their union was only lustfully driven and would make , in the eyes of the kingdom an impure birth, thus affecting his heir-apparent rule on the throne. The King then formally installed Bharata as the heir.

Bharata came to be known as Sarvadamana or the subduer of all & Cakravarti i.e. a ruler of whose chariot wheels roll everywhere without obstruction; emperor, sovereign of the world.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    * Puru descendent was Ilina . He married Rathantra had 5 sons - Dushmanta, Sura, Bhima, Pravasu and Vasu. Dusamantra was the eldest and became King. Ilina's father was Tansu; His father was Matinara; His father Anadhristi , his original name was Richeyu and in his day was the sole monarch of the earth; His father, Kaudraswa, wed an apsara named Misrakesi, and had 10 sons, Richeyu was 1 of the 10. This continues backwards until we arrive at Puru and his wife Paushti, that starts the family line. The Puru line can then be tracked back to the monarch Yayati a key ancestor, 10th from Prajapati:

King Yayati had 1 wife and another, concubine. Yayati married the daughter of Sukra ( Venus) the Brahmana of the Asuras and had children Yadu and Turvasu. Yayati also had children with Sarmishtha, the daughter of the Asura King Vrishaparvan. This encounter produced Druhyu, Anu and Puru. Due to Yaytai's mischief ( even though he was enticed by Sarmishtha , as she wanted children but had no husband), Sukra inflicted a curse on Yayata and the King lost his youth. Yayati asked all 5 children if he could trade his old age for their youth and the only one that agreed as Puru. After 1000 years, Yayati returned the youth to Puru and gave him his kingdom, the youngest of all the brothers.

So if one tracks back from Yayati, he is 10th removed from Daksha, the originator.
    [ Daksha -> Aditi->Vivaswat->Manu->Ili->Puruavas->Ayus->Nahusha->Yayati->Puru ]

Aditi was wife of Kasyapa, and Kasyaspa was son of Marichi. Marichi was the one of 6 spiritual sons of Brahma. With Kashyap this group is referred to as saptrishi's or saptarşi , the 7 rishi's. I Have seen different lists of the 7. Most all agree on the 6 named as Angiras, Pulastya, Kratu, Marichi, Atri, Pulahu. Yet at times I see Vasisthta or Kashapa added to make the 7. This is the connection all the way back to the origin of creation.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 November 2011 at 05:20 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information