Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oppressive verses in the Vedas

Re: Oppressive verses in the Vedas

Quote Originally Posted by Khadgar View Post
    I converse with them for a while, I get their opinions of other Varnas [than their own] and opinions of Dalits. As well, I try and get their opinion of minorities, women, etc. in general.
    So what exactly is 'Brahmanism'?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    So what exactly is 'Brahmanism'?
    From what I understand, as far as my opinion is concerned, brahminism is the social order, far removed from spirituality that resulted in the caste based heirarchy to hegemonize the power of a select few brahmins in the societies of old that got carried forward through to modern times. It further involves many backwards, narrow-minded rituals that only helped to maintain a stagnant status quo, and maintained the power of those select brahmins. The kshatriyas, vaisyas and sudras that bought into this social ideology too began oppressing what they believed to be their lessers.
    There were many brahmins, kshatriyas, vaisyas, and sudras in history that spoke out against this, but they were often marginalized.

I understood what you're saying. I don't view him as a Kindergartener. I want to give him the chance to try and understand the material.
    First point is that if he really wanted to 'understand' the mateiral he would have understood it on his own.

Secondly, why is it important for him to understand this material that doesn't concern his spiritual development anyway?

Thirdly and more importantly, what does it matter to anyone if his opinion of eastern traditions is changed or not. Certainly, eastern traditions, hinduism and hindus are unaffected by this devout christians understanding or misunderstanding.

Hinduism accepts that not everyone has the ability to comprehend dharma so this is why there is adharma in the society. This is part of nature...of kali...

Hindus have no instructions to shove hinduism down other people's throats so there is no point in shoving down the correct meaning of the verses down his throat. All he will do is vomit it out...
    satay

Hinduism accepts that not everyone has the ability to comprehend dharma so this is why there is adharma in the society. This is part of nature...of kali...

Actually, Hinduism accepts the opposite, that everyone DOES have the ability to comprehend the material if they are sincere in their pursuit of Knowledge. Lord Krishna quite adamantly outlined this in the Gita.

Actually, Hinduism accepts the opposite, that everyone DOES have the ability to comprehend the material if they are sincere in their pursuit of Knowledge. Lord Krishna quite adamantly outlined this in the Gita.
    That was covered in my first point.
    satay

From what I understand, as far as my opinion is concerned, brahminism is the social order, far removed from spirituality that resulted in the caste based heirarchy to hegemonize the power of a select few brahmins in the societies of old that got carried forward through to modern times. It further involves many backwards, narrow-minded rituals that only helped to maintain a stagnant status quo, and maintained the power of those select brahmins. The kshatriyas, vaisyas and sudras that bought into this social ideology too began oppressing what they believed to be their lessers.
    There were many brahmins, kshatriyas, vaisyas, and sudras in history that spoke out against this, but they were often marginalized.
    Such social problems exist in many other socieities and not only in India. Though India has a target on her back...
    satay

That was covered in my first point.

I understand, all I'm doing is trying to give a proper non-misconstrued version of that very knowledge to him.

If you don't have a rebuttal to the original post, please say so and I'll just have to continue on in my pursuits to find the proper meaning and proper context. If you do, please tell me, I truly am sincere in asking for your help.

Such social problems exist in many other socieities and not only in India. Though India has a target on her back...
    Oh don't get me wrong, one of the first things I did was to point out the feudal system in Medieval England. Not to mention the hegemony of the Catholic Church.

I understand, all I'm doing is trying to give a proper non-misconstrued version of that very knowledge to him.

If you don't have a rebuttal to the original post, please say so and I'll just have to continue on in my pursuits to find the proper meaning and proper context. If you do, please tell me, I truly am sincere in asking for your help.
    Please re read my posts properly.
    satay

Oh don't get me wrong, one of the first things I did was to point out the feudal system in Medieval England. Not to mention the hegemony of the Catholic Church.
    And yet, the christian is hypocrite enough not only to question the problems of a distant society but also the scriptures of that society that have nothing to do with him.

Amazing the hypocrisy of these guys.
    satay

Thread Information