Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do Shaivas accept this?

Re: Do Shaivas accept this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Mahavan, and Agnidevan: Thank you for clarifying. As a Saivite, I don't dislike, or purposely avoid the BG. Its just that I have my own personally more important scriptures to study, and actually am not heavily into scritural study at all. But here's another question, especially for those who do study scripture a lot. How often do you feel.. "same idea, different words, slightly different interpretation'' when you read. I did read Vivekenanda's 4 yoga books, but that was a long time ago. I liked the principles of Vedanta, but somehow it wasn't practical enough for me. I wanted to know more about controlling anger, lifestyle, temle rituals, and the like. I guess maybe I'm biased by the Christians who can spout scripture all over the place but then don't practice what they preach. Here in the western media they are attacked, and I do read the news... Aun Namashivaya
    By your post I presume that you are a follower of Saiva Siddhanta church ?? In that case it must be the Guru Adesh as well for you not to spread oneself thin over too many scriptures ~ as Subramuniya Ji mentions this often in his work.

I am not a follower of the church or saivism in general, but I do think there is great wisdom in his opinions including this one. We are ordinary persons and becoming a pundit is not the primary goal, but liberation is. Also traditionally in all branches of the Sanatana Dharma, knowledge without a sampradaya and parampara means nothing ~ this was said by Adi Shankaracharya himself. The opinion of a person who does not belong to a Sampradaya and a Paramapara needs to be continuously ignored, how much may be his panditya on various scripture. I think realization and peace can dawn only when one follows one's guru parampara with highest faith and puts one's egoistic impulse to become a pundit to 2ndary importance.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Smile Re: Do Shaivas accept this?

Namaste Singhi Kaya

Adi Shankaracharya has said this as well; " Neither I am the fear of death nor I am the difference between races. Neither I am [any relation like] father, mother, nor I am born. Also, I am not a relative, a friend, a teacher (Guru), or a student (Shisya). I am the eternal happiness or bliss state, I am Shiv, I am Shiv.||5||.

Smile Re: Do Shaivas accept this?

sm78 : Yes, I am, although not an official member for some 12 years, a long story. But absolutely liberation is the key... to quote Yogaswami, Subramuniyaswami's guru when in a bookstore looking at a browser "Its not in books, you fool!" Not that scriptural study is a waste. I once dug myself through Pope's translation of Tiruvacagam. Quite the chore I might add. And I agree: truth is one, paths are many, sticking with a parampara is helpful. Aum Namashivaya

Re: Do Shaivas accept this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    sm78 : ----- to quote Yogaswami, Subramuniyaswami's guru when in a bookstore looking at a browser "Its not in books, you fool!" Not that scriptural study is a waste. I once dug myself through Pope's translation of Tiruvacagam. Quite the chore I might add. And I agree: truth is one, paths are many, sticking with a parampara is helpful. Aum Namashivaya
    Namaste,

Finally the ego will be cut down anyway, whether one likes it or not. So, it may be better to study scripture. But it is said that ego of a pundit is harder to cut down than the ego of a rustic. In this I think SM has a valid point, though you are also correct. There is no jiva who is devoid of ego.

Thiruvachakam has been put to music by Illyaraja. It is a good experience to close eyes and listen to it, though the language is foreign to me.

Regards to all.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information