Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the end of kaliyuga and the night of Brahma the same?

Is the end of kaliyuga and the night of Brahma the same?

Om Shanti,
    I remember reading or hearing something about the day and night of Brahma. Is the night of Brahma considered to be the end of the world (earth) or just the end of this cycle?

Even in kaliyuga the earth is such a beautiful planet. I'd hate to see it destroyed.

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Re: Is the end of kaliyuga and the night of Brahma the same?

Namaste Hiwaunis
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwaunis View Post
    I remember reading or hearing something about the day and night of Brahma. Is the night of Brahma considered to be the end of the world (earth) or just the end of this cycle? Even in kaliyuga the earth is such a beautiful planet. I'd hate to see it destroyed.
    Short answer: Day/night of Brahmā and end of kaliyuga are not the same, and end of the present kaliyuga does not indicate the beginning of the night of Brahmā.

Long answer: A day of Brahmā is called a kalpa and is 4,320,000,000 years long (the night of Brahmā is equally as long). At the end of each day of Brahmā comes a pralaya, a cycle of world dissolution, followed by a new cycle of creation at the beginning of the next day of Brahmā.

Each day of Brahmā consists of 14 manvantaras (306,720,000 years each) + 15 manvantara twilight periods (1,728,000 years each) that flank the manvantaras. Each manvantara period is characterized by a new Manu (leader/progenitor of mankind) and new Indra (leader of Devas). A manvantara itself is made up of 71 mahayuga cycles. A mahayuga cycle is 4,320,000 years long, and consists of satya-yuga (1,728,000 yrs) + treta-yuga (1,296,000 yrs) + dvapara-yuga (864,000 yrs) + kaliyuga (432,000).

The present kalpa (day of Brahmā) in which we live is called the Shveta-Varaha Kalpa (Kalpa of the White Boar). Within that kalpa, this is the seventh manvantara called the Vaivasvata Manvantara, named after Manu Vaivasvata, the son of the Sun (Vivasvan). Within that, this is the kaliyuga of the 28th mahayuga cycle, which began at 00:00 (midnight) February 18, 3102 BCE. In other words, there is a lot of time left before the world is destroyed!

Hope that wasn’t TMI!

OM Shanti,
    A.

Namaste Hiwaunis,
    IMHO, we should not worry about the end of this earth. For all this is verily the Lord.
    Let HIM worry about creation and destruction. (Paramahamsa Nithyananda's quote)
    Thanks
    Last edited by Nachiketa; 31 August 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Om Shanti Agnideva and Nachiketa,
    Thank you for the eternal knowledge. I think I have it clear now. Please correct me if I am wrong. There are 3 mega cycles, (day, dissolution, and night). The day cycles are divided into 29 cycles (14 inner and 15 outer). Each of the 14 inner cycles are divided into 4 cycles. Each of the 4 cycles are divided into a couple hundred thousand years.

I am not too worried about the end of the world. Sometimes I feel that I am a traveler through time and sometimes I feel that time is the traveler through me. So every now and then I like to look back through time to see where I really came from. I wasn't always feeling and thinking this way and am somewhat regretful. I have accumulated habits that I now find hard to get rid of. But now that I have access to this knowledge I am very grateful for receiving it.

I love this world. Words cannot explain how I adore the light and warmth from the sun. I am so grateful to be able to breathe in the coolness of the air. That feeling of cold water on my face just leaves me speechless. I don't even understand what my attraction to water is. I have two 30 gal fish tanks that I find myself constantly staring at (and 6 big, beautiful goldfish). I can't wait for the day when I can afford 150 gal tank.

I don't know if I'll ever see the end of the world, I do thank God for letting me experience the love and beauty of life in this world.

Please let know if my simple understanding of the day and night of Brahma is correct? As I was reading it I was also trying to picture it.

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis,
    I think I have it clear now. Please correct me if I am wrong. There are 3 mega cycles, (day, dissolution, and night). The day cycles are divided into 29 cycles (14 inner and 15 outer). Each of the 14 inner cycles are divided into 4 cycles. Each of the 4 cycles are divided into a couple hundred thousand years.
    Yes, you got it! Except the 14 inner cycles have 71 sets of periods divided into 4 yugas each.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Om Shanti,
    I remember reading or hearing something about the day and night of Brahma. Is the night of Brahma considered to be the end of the world (earth) or just the end of this cycle?

Even in kaliyuga the earth is such a beautiful planet. I'd hate to see it destroyed.

Namaste,
    Hiwaunis

I'm fairly certain the Kali Yuga wasn't meant to be taken literally. From what I can understand, it just alludes to the general ignorance of mankind due to self indulgence and self tendencies.

One full Mahayuga, from what I understand, again is symbolic isn't it? To try and explain the age of man? It's about 4 mln years old, and as it turns out our earliest common primates in Africa turned up around that time..

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Khadgar View Post
    I'm fairly certain the Kali Yuga wasn't meant to be taken literally. From what I can understand, it just alludes to the general ignorance of mankind due to self indulgence and self tendencies.

One full Mahayuga, from what I understand, again is symbolic isn't it? To try and explain the age of man? It's about 4 mln years old, and as it turns out our earliest common primates in Africa turned up around that time..
    Namaste Khadgar,
    I read your post and there is many posts on this that you can search on.
    Here is just one of many discussions: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1784
    Yet the 432,000 years of Kali is considered authentic. As is the other 3 yugas that are multiples of Kali.

But let me ask, in your opinion if this was not a literal piece of info, how do you view it? That is, the value of this yuga system? What if ( and this is just throwing an idea out) the yuga system was not earth-centric, buy Galaxy centric?
    Then the time scales are in sync with the billions of years and the Day and Night of Brahma.

According to the wise Kali was to have begun in 3102 BC, the day Krsna left this earth.

pranams,
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Khadgar,
    I read your post and there is many posts on this that you can search on.
    Here is just one of many discussions: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1784
    Yet the 432,000 years of Kali is considered authentic. As is the other 3 yugas that are multiples of Kali.

But let me ask, in your opinion if this was not a literal piece of info, how do you view it? That is, the value of this yuga system? What if ( and this is just throwing an idea out) the yuga system was not earth-centric, buy Galaxy centric?
    Then the time scales are in sync with the billions of years and the Day and Night of Brahma.

According to the wise Kali was to have begun in 3102 BC, the day Krsna left this earth.

pranams,
    Namaste yajvan,

That's just it, I view the Yuga system, in terms of the calculations as a means of dating the universe.. I think a day of Brahma is symbolic for the age of the Earth [4 bln yrs]. I think the Kali Yuga is symbolic of the age of man and man's general ignorance. I don't doubt it is authentic, but it is authentic with respect to the mythology. And since mythology itself is used symbolically to convey the spiritual message, I take the Yugas to be so as well.

I made a thread somewhat relating to this too, perhaps you can take a look at it: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1964

I don't think I've said anything too out of line, no? =|

Namaste Khadgar,
    Quote Originally Posted by Khadgar View Post
    I don't think I've said anything too out of line, no? =|
    No! At least for me . When we read and interpret scripture, we as individual and independent followers of Sanatana Dharma have the intellectual freedom to take anything we please as symbolic or literal, as the case may be. This, however, changes when we accept a guru in which case it is deemed essential that our thoughts, ideas and interpretations be in line with the guru's and that particular spiritual lineage.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Thread Information