Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circuncision and Hinduism

Circuncision and Hinduism

Namaste

How does Hinduism sees circumcision?
    Recently Yajvan call our attention to a upanishad that talks about sanyasa, were it is written that a circumcised fellow cant be a shaiva sanyasin. Why is that so in the view of the recent discovery's on the role circumcision has in preventing AIDS and other STD's. And what is the spiritual problem with a circumcised sanyasa? And why that doesn't matter for to be a Vaishnava priest or hermit? I am not circumcised but i really would love to have an answer or a discussion about the questions razed.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Nuno Matos; 30 August 2007 at 07:56 PM.

Re: Circuncision and Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno Matos View Post
    Namaste

How does Hinduism sees circumcision?
    Recently Yajvan call our attention to a upanishad that talks about sanyasa, were it is written that a circumcised fellow cant be a shaiva sanyasin. Why is that so in the view of the recent discovery's on the role circumcision has in preventing AIDS and other STD's. And what is the spiritual problem with a circumcised sanyasa? And why that doesn't matter for to be a Vaishnava priest or hermit? I am not circumcised but i really would love to have an answer or a discussion about the questions razed.

Thank you!
    It has been personally revealed to me by a teacher that circumcision directly hampers the possibility of brahma gyanam.

As far as scriptures go, it is heavily criticized in puranas like Bhabisya Purana. It is cirtainly a mleccha achara and is not in line with Vedic Achara.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste,

Circumcision as such only reduces the likelihood of contracting HIV but does not wholly prevent it.

Since, to a large extent HIV is prevalent in the permissive sections of the society the concept of Brahmacharya should be propagated among them for a better control of the HIV situation !

As an aside, if circumcision is really that good for a man, then why did God even think of a foreskin ?

For me, the human body is a temple...violate it and you will add to your karma.

Pranams to all

Quote Originally Posted by Nachiketa View Post
    Namaste,

Circumcision as such only reduces the likelihood of contracting HIV but does not wholly prevent it.

Since, to a large extent HIV is prevalent in the permissive sections of the society the concept of Brahmacharya should be propagated among them for a better control of the HIV situation !

As an aside, if circumcision is really that good for a man, then why did God even think of a foreskin ?

For me, the human body is a temple...violate it and you will add to your karma.

Pranams to all
    I myself subscribe to the same views as yours.

Wink Re: Circuncision and Hinduism

Namaste Nachiketa

Brahmacharya is a violation by privation of the human body and its functions. And what about cutting your hair, or piercing your ears or even taking drugs, or cutting your under tongue link connection in order to do the Kechari, or cutting your nails, or the stretching of the penis to a point that he doesn't work no more, or putting a silver ring on your penis that will cut the inner soft band of your penis. etc...?
    And we shouldn't judged a man just by the fact he is circumcised. It is not such a bad Karma it is a good one by the contrary especially if is indulging on Samsara.

I think that going against nature is part of nature to!
    Last edited by Nuno Matos; 31 August 2007 at 09:09 AM.

Talking Re: Circuncision and Hinduism

Namaste sm68

The Bhabisya Purana is a matter for another controversial tread on Hot topics

Thank you!
    Last edited by Nuno Matos; 31 August 2007 at 09:10 AM.

Namaste Singhi et al,
    Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    It has been personally revealed to me by a teacher that circumcision directly hampers the possibility of brahma gyanam. As far as scriptures go, it is heavily criticized in puranas like Bhabisya Purana. It is cirtainly a mleccha achara and is not in line with Vedic Achara.
    Just by way of curiousity, how does circumcision hamper the possibility of brahma-jnana? What does foreskin have to do with Divine knowledge?

The Bhabisya Purana is a matter for another controversial tread on Hot topics!
    Yes, you're right, perhaps that is a different hot topic altogether!

OM Shanti,
    A.

Namaste Nachiketa

Brahmacharya is a violation by privation of the human body and its functions. And what about cutting your hair, or piercing your ears or even taking drugs, or cutting your under tongue link connection in order to do the Kechari, or cutting your nails, or the stretching of the penis to a point that he doesn't work no more, or putting a silver ring on your penis that will cut the inner soft band of your penis. etc...?
    And we shouldn't judged a man just by the fact he is circumcised. It is not such a bad Karma it is a good one by the contrary especially if is indulging on Samsara.

I think that going against nature is part of nature to!
    Namaste Nuno Matos
    You will agree that there is a difference between circumcision by scriptural injunctions and circumcision just to have a merry time and not contract HIV. He could also have done it for other medical reasons. So rest assured that I do not judge a man based on whether or not he is circumcised !!
    Though I am still a long way off from "not judging anybody".

My concept of Brahmacharya ( I cannot quote the scriptures due to lack of intimate knowledge) does not include privation of bodily functions or organs. If an aspirant feels so, then IMHO, he is not yet ready to be a Brahmacharin. Mind you, I am not saying that this is for or against nature after all they say " Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma "

My humble 2 cents
    Thanks
    Last edited by Nachiketa; 31 August 2007 at 11:32 AM.

namaste,
    I do feel that this discussion is not appropriate for HDF, however, let's see where this leads us to...
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Singhi et al,

Just by way of curiousity, how does circumcision hamper the possibility of brahma-jnana? What does foreskin have to do with Divine knowledge?
    Perhaves in a similar way as the nerves in the spine and brain have to do with divine knowledge.

I however have no knowledge of which nerves gets effected when one cuts off the foreskin.
    Last edited by sm78; 03 September 2007 at 03:22 AM.

Thread Information