Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Circuncision and Hinduism

Re: Circuncision and Hinduism

I think that it's completely illogical to say that circumcision is forbidden and that it's adharmic. 90% of circumcised males had it done to them in a way that they had no say in the matter (when they were babies, etc.). The rest had it done to them because it could save their life or because it would greatly help them. An insignificant minority has it done to them for "cosmetic" purposes.

It's illogical to say that you can't receive Divine Knowledge because your parents circumcised you.

Namaste Satay,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    No. This issue is irrelevant to Hindus.
    I stated my reason why I feel this issue is relevant to Hindus. With India being seen as a future hotbed for AIDS and the fact that 80% of Indians are hindus, the issue of circumcision and AIDS prevention would be relevant to Hindus. Is there any reason why you feel it is not?

Here are the facts:
    The issue of Circumcision and AIDS is being debated by the scientific and medical community. What you have pasted are not "facts" - just some material to support your view "against" circumcision. I am sure I can find many articles on the web "for" circumcision as well. However I chose not to spread misinformation by pasting biased information.

The WHO is currently still studying the matter and have not take a definite stand either for or against circumcision. Here is the link:
    http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircumcision/en/

Piercing ones ears is not the same thing as cutting the skin of baby's penis in order to 'show your love to god'.
    I do not understand your reference to 'show your love to god'? I was talking of circumcision for medical reasons.

Whether circumcision status plays a role in HIV risk or not, it is important to recognize that HIV can be prevented through several known very effective means, such as condom use, and limiting exposure to multiple partners. Rather than advocating circumcision, given the existing evidence, it would be appropriate to advocate better public health education, so that individuals can make appropriate decisions regarding their own sexual behavior.
    With this I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Haridas View Post
    I think that it's completely illogical to say that circumcision is forbidden and that it's adharmic. 90% of circumcised males had it done to them in a way that they had no say in the matter (when they were babies, etc.). The rest had it done to them because it could save their life or because it would greatly help them. An insignificant minority has it done to them for "cosmetic" purposes.

It's illogical to say that you can't receive Divine Knowledge because your parents circumcised you.
    No one is saying that ...
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by I am free View Post

I stated my reason why I feel this issue is relevant to Hindus. With India being seen as a future hotbed for AIDS and the fact that 80% of Indians are hindus, the issue of circumcision and AIDS prevention would be relevant to Hindus. Is there any reason why you feel it is not?
    What you posted was this
    There are 3 million people with HIV/AIDS in India. AIDS is posed to reach epidemic proportions in India...we can take the threat of this disease seriously and be aggressive about AIDS prevention OR we can hide our heads in the sand go the Africa way.
    This reads to me like you were trying to pass HIV/AIDS connection to Cicumcision as a fact. Maybe its just the way I read it...

I provided links to papers that conclude that the studies done in africa that tried to make such a connection between the two didn't show that foreskin had anything to do with the infection and that "Rather than advocating circumcision, given the existing evidence, it would be appropriate to advocate better public health education, so that individuals can make appropriate decisions regarding their own sexual behavior." To which you already agree.

Therefore, Indians shouldn't concentrate on circumcision or cutting of the foreskin but should concentrate on better health education and safer sex habits. So from this my statement that 'No, the issue of circumcision is not important to Indians.'
    The issue of Circumcision and AIDS is being debated by the scientific and medical community.
    Yes. Perhaps if you had said this in your original post, it would have been clearer (for me anyway).

I do not understand your reference to 'show your love to god'? I was talking of circumcision for medical reasons.
    This practice has its roots in the maleccha traditions 'to honor god by mutilating the genitals of one's son'.

What historic "medical reasons" does this practice have? Could you please shed some light on this?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by Haridas View Post
    Namaskar Haridas,

Personally I think that the 'divinity' or the knowledge of it has nothing to do with ones foreskin. However, the practice of mutilating the genitals comes from maleccha traditions and adds no value to the process of seeking of truth, so this is why it is irrelevant to the hindu tradition and thus to the Hindus.
    Last edited by satay; 23 October 2007 at 01:22 PM.
    satay

Thread Information