Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inter-Faith Relations

Inter-Faith Relations

Would anyone be interested in a Forum to promote good relations amongst people of all faiths?

Pranam,

Devi

Re: Inter-Faith Relations

Namaste,

This is excellent. All these apparently diverse philosophies are pointing to the same truth: Love of the Self, the self that is in me and in everyone.

And this Self is Good.

Isha Upanishad

6. He who perceives all beings in the Self alone, and the Self in all beings, does not entertain any hatred on account of that perception.
    7. When a man realises that all beings are but the Self, what delusion is there, what grief, to that perceiver of oneness?
    8. That (Self) is all-pervading, radiant, bodiless, soreless, without sinews, pure, untainted by sin, the all-seer, the lord of the mind, transcendent and self-existent. That (Self) did allot in proper order to the eternal Prajapatis known as samvalsara (year) their duties.

Om Namay Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

There is much going on in this area already. Every city, at least here in the west (I am not familiar with it in the east) has some sort of interfaith dialogue group. This is a good thing. What troubles me is the observation that fundamentalists won't join. Of course that is their right, I guess. The open minded members of each religion striving to educate, discuss, and find points in common for the benefit of all of humanity come and there is harmony amongst the group. This has led me to believe that there is more commonality amongst the peaceful people, even though beliefs differ, than there is between a fundamentalist, and another member of his or her so called faith. I recall the pope visiting my city, and hearing about fundamentalist churches protesting with slogans such as "The Pope is the antichrist" . Likewise there is a great deal in common amongst fundamentalists of all sects, namely the core belief "My way is THE way." So our common 'enemy' is fundamentalism itself, be it of the Islam, Christian, Hindu, etc variety. I have found that there is very little one can do about it, as that is their core belief, and its a strong one. On a personal level, I have found that I have turned a few individuals, not by arguing, but by avoiding religious discussion altogether over a longer period of time, and getting to know each other as people. Many didn't even find out I was a Hindu for several years. So eventually, those ones arrive at the conclusion that :Hey, this EM fellow isn't a bad chap, so Hinduism may not be the devilish religion I thought it was after all." This is the molecular theory of social change... one mind at a time. After all, its humanity we should care about, for the survival of the planet, and its continued role in the universe as a place where souls can evolve. Aum Namashivaya

There is a Yahoo Group called United Fellowship Of Interfaith Ministers whose stated aim is:

"This is an open fellowship for INTERFAITH laity, ministers and ministries. No matter what your spiritual or social path may be, all are welcome here. Our purpose is to provide a place of networking that each of us that are on different paths can come together on a common ground.This fellowship has various religious traditions: such as Christians, Buddhist, Hindus, Pagans, Wiccans, Mystics, Rosicrucians, Shamans and many other traditions. We do learn from each other, and we are open to all spiritual and social paths.

This organization was originally formed by Rev. John Wilton Stansell, Jr., aka Gospel J, of the Gospel Lighthouse Prison Evangelism."

(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/united...guid=227523244)

Before I signed up with HDF, I was a member of over 20 Yahoo groups that included the above group. Here a major topic of discussion is the wayward activities Christian priests, but they read Hindu articles with an open mind. I used to post a copy of my articles to each of these forums for sometime but grew tired of it and stopped the activity. These days after coming over to HDF I rarely partake or even visit these groups for the main reason that the Yahoo group posting facilities are not suitable for my voluble expressions!

I agree with you, E. M. It is difficult if not impossible to sway fundamentalists of whatever flavour. I posted this poster on a Muslim website, and surprisingly, got some pretty positive results. Many were surprised that other faiths also had their own expression of the Golden Rule.

It's one of my small ways to help promote acceptance amongst all people. One of the other ways I do it, is to occassionally wear a sari while going about my day to day business. I have never had any nasty comments or dirty looks, only compliments. But I do think that seeing a blond blue-eyed woman in a sari makes many people stop and think, and hopefully reflect a little.

Pranam,

Devi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    --- Likewise there is a great deal in common amongst fundamentalists of all sects, namely the core belief "My way is THE way." So our common 'enemy' is fundamentalism itself, ---- Aum Namashivaya

Namaste EM,

The commonality between fundamentalists of different groups is hatred for the other. So, you will note that staunch fundamentalists of different groups have most differences, which they tend to resolve through violence.

Hard deeds, in the cause of God (which sometimes may include violence against non-believers who obstruct worship), are however, recommended by even by Shaiva Sidhanta.The problem may arise when one preaches that "Only my belief is correct".

Common enemy, thus, for everyone is ignorance, since no religion in its core teaches hatred becuse of differences (as posted in 'The Golden Rule' by devisarada). Implicit in 'The Golden Rule' is the love of all pervading Self. In this respect, I feel, that the teaching of Vedanta is most direct.

Regards

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste EM,

The commonality between fundamentalists of different groups is hatred for the other. So, you will note that staunch fundamentalists of different groups have most differences, which they tend to resolve through violence.

Hard deeds, in the cause of God (which sometimes may include violence against non-believers who obstruct worship), are however, recommended by even by Shaiva Sidhanta.The problem may arise when one preaches that "Only my belief is correct".

Common enemy, thus, for everyone is ignorance, since no religion in its core teaches hatred becuse of differences (as posted in 'The Golden Rule' by devisarada). Implicit in 'The Golden Rule' is the love of all pervading Self. In this respect, I feel, that the teaching of Vedanta is most direct.

Regards

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste Atanu,

I like they way you get right down the heart of the matter.

Pranam,

Devi

Namaste Atanu .. I agree, the common enemy in the mind is ignorance.. anava... fundamentalists are clouded by ignorance..making quotes about other religions etc, without having any idea what they're talking about, all need some education, on respect especially.. However, I would like to know from which scripture in Saiva Siddhanta you found the similarities you refered to before.. Aum Namashivay

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Namaste Atanu .. I agree, the common enemy in the mind is ignorance.. anava... fundamentalists are clouded by ignorance..making quotes about other religions etc, without having any idea what they're talking about, all need some education, on respect especially.. However, I would like to know from which scripture in Saiva Siddhanta you found the similarities you refered to before.. Aum Namashivay

Namaste EM,

Om Namah Shivaya

What I meant was that all deeds are His deeds when the root ignorance of this self being separate from the Self is removed. Before that wicked deeds are wicked deeds only. Gita also supports war for the upholdment of Dharma. The problem is that no one can agree on what constitutes Dharma.

In this respect, I repeat, the exhibit of devisarada is excellent in showing that love of the Self is the commonality in every scripture. Realisation of the ONE common Self is the highest aim of sanatana dharma followers.

From Tirukkalitruppadiyar

16. Soft deeds; Chariya and Kriya and wicked deeds are the two kinds of deeds of this wide world. When you are the follower of the path of Shiva Dharma, Bhava Karma that which gives birth and rebirth will leave you.

17. O Vēdiyan, you worship the Lord, by pursuing, all limbs (rituals) and gaining the strength to remove all evil; those good deeds come by easily for us; these are the Soft deeds according to us.

18. Vairava, capable of conferring boons, received as sacrifice a boy (son) killed by their (parents') own hands and cooked for the Lord. We know such merciless killing as wicked deed.

19. Do not look at it as either Patakam (grievous sin) or pazhi (blame). He cut off both feet of father cum vedic expert. Having seen this, God conferred on Chandisvara Nayanar the gift of beatitude.

20. He begged Shiva to consume the sacred offerings (such as cooked rice, greens, pickled mango) that fell accidentally in the furrow of the ploughed field. Regretting the mishap, he cut his own head off. How can we ever describe his glory in words?

21. All deeds are His deeds; the votaries would be free of burden. If "plowing and debt are one face," would that constitute degradation? Let me know.

Regards,

Om Namah Shivaya

Atanu: Namaste,and thank you for clarifying. I do like the idea of interfaith, but I also think some people take it too far in the ideas of all religions being the same, especially in the universalists that make that claim. I think its got to be very confusing for them. How does one reconcile heaven/hell vs reincarnation, for example. Best to know what you believe, follow that path with your whole soul, yet be at peace with all the rest of the paths. What are your thoughts on finding the middle line on this? Aum Namashivaya.

Thread Information