Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Siva Sutras

Siva Sutras

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to post some of these most insightful Siva Sutras¹.

Sri kanthanatha, an incarnation of Lord Shiva, appeared before the sage Vasugupta in a dream. On awakening the sage visited the desired spot that was offered in the dream and the particular stone turned upside down by his mere touch. He found the Sutras engraved on the big rock which is still known as 'samkaropala'.

I will add a few daily. thought it would be worth the read...sipping the wisdom a little at a time vs. listing them all out.

Caitanyamatma
    1. Universal Consciousness is one's own nature.

Jnanam Bandhah
    2. Knowing the individual consciousness as one's own nature
    and not knowing the Universal Consciousness as one's
    own nature, is bondage.

Yonivargah Kalasariram
    3. Differentiated perception and the field of individual activities
    are also bondage.

* Siva Sutras are From Swami Laksmanjoo and his work Shiva Sutras, The Supreme Awakening [ISBN 1-75965-457-3]

Nama Sivaya Somanath Naya

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 November 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added the Sutra's audit back to Swami Laksmanjoo
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Siva Sutras

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Caitanyamatma
    1. Universal Consciousness is one's own nature.

Jnanam Bandhah
    2. Knowing the individual consciousness as one's own nature
    and not knowing the Universal Consciousness as one's
    own nature, is bondage.

Yonivargah Kalasariram
    3. Differentiated perception and the field of individual activities
    are also bondage.

Nama Sivaya Somanath Naya
    Jnanadhisthanam Matrka
    4. This three-fold bondage is attributable to and commanded by
    the Universal Mother while she remains unknown.

Udyamao Bhairava
    5. To get rid of this triple bondage,a sudden flash of transcendental consciousness is identical with Bhairava*.

Sakticakrasandhane visvasambarah
    6. With deep contemplation on the wheel of energies, the whole differentiated Universe comes to an end.

Nama Sivaya

* Bhairava or भैरव is considered terrible or frightful, the fierce manifested personality of Siva associated with annihilation. Yet for a more descriptive view on this matter see HDF post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...2&postcount=52

pranams,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 November 2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added add'l HDF post as a reference on Bhairava
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Jnanadhisthanam Matrka
    4. This three-fold bondage is attributable to and commanded by
    the Universal Mother while she remains unknown.

Udyamao Bhairava
    5. To get rid of this triple bondage,a sudden flash of transcendental consciousness is identical with Bhairava*.

Sakticakrasandhane visvasambarah
    6. With deep contemplation on the wheel of energies, the whole differentiated Universe comes to an end.

Nama Sivaya
    * Bhairava or भैरव = "Terrible" or "Frightful, is the fierce manifested personality Siva associated with annihilation
    Jagratsvapna susuptabhede turyabhogasambhavah
    7. Such a Yogi, who has accomplished this stage, experiences Turiya
    (the 4th) in other three states also - viz. Jagrat (wakefulness), Svapna (dream) and Susapti (deep sleep)

Turiya HDF references:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1822
    • Nothing transcends Turya
    • Brahmvidvarishta is non-different from Turya
    • Brahma Sakshtkara ( Self Realization) is turiyatit chetana (sustained turya), and is experinced by the native; a purely subjective experince.
    • Turiyatit chetana is not personality development, yet ones level of Being completely changes.
    pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 28 September 2007 at 11:37 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Jagratsvapna susuptabhede turyabhogasambhavah
    7. Such a Yogi, who has accomplished this stage, experiences Turiya
    (the 4th) in other three states also - viz. Jagrat (wakefulness), Svapna (dream) and Susapti (deep sleep)

Turiya HDF references:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1822
    • Nothing transcends Turya
    • Brahmvidvarishta is non-different from Turya
    • Brahma Sakshtkara ( Self Realization) is turiyatit chetana (sustained turya), and is experinced by the native; a purely subjective experince.
    • Turiyatit chetana is not personality development, yet ones level of Being completely changes.
    Jnanam Jagrat
    8. Common knowledge (arising out of differentiation) - constitutes Jagrat (wakefulness).

Svapna Vikalpah
    9. Individual differentiated knowledge in the recess of one's own mind is Svapna (dream).

Aviveko Mayasausuptam
    10. Loss of discrimination in the field of unawareness is Susapti (deep sleep)

Tritayabhokta viresah
    11. The one who has digested (assimilated) all these three states in Turya is the Lord of heroes or master of his senses.

Om Haraye Namah
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Yajvan: Just a question: What particular Siva sutras are you quoting from? agamas? Somewhere else? I am not familiar with all this. From your original post, re 'incarnation of Siva' in Saiva Siddhanta, there is no such thing. Siva-realised soul, yes. Again, perhaps its just in wording. Certainly 'incarnation' is not the same as 'avatar' is it? My understanding is that 'avatar' is a Vaishnava concept. Siva does not come to Earth in a human form, other than as Satguru. Thanks for any clarification Aum Namashivaya

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Yajvan: Just a question: What particular Siva sutras are you quoting from? agamas? Somewhere else? I am not familiar with all this. From your original post, re 'incarnation of Siva' in Saiva Siddhanta, there is no such thing. Siva-realised soul, yes. Again, perhaps its just in wording. Certainly 'incarnation' is not the same as 'avatar' is it? My understanding is that 'avatar' is a Vaishnava concept. Siva does not come to Earth in a human form, other than as Satguru. Thanks for any clarification Aum Namashivaya
    Namaste EM,
    Yes I see your point. Perhaps it is just symantics or words.
    FYI: There are 77 sutras to the set.
    This may help, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Sutras_of_Vasugupta

That said,

Shiva sutras are believed to be a Sivopanisat ( Siva-upanishad); a compendium containing secret doctrine revealed by Lord Shiva. It is stated this was Srikanthanatha, Lord Shiva, some say an incarnation, some say a Siddha, that came to sage Vasugupta in a dream and directed him to the Sutas mentioned. This was 9th century if my memory serves me correctly. This is from my studies.

Also , how do you then view Adi Shankara? Was he Siva on this earth? And what of Manesha Panchakam?
    Sri Sankara was walking towards the temple of Lord Viswanatha in Varanasi along with his disciples. A sweeper was walking towards him on the same street. Sri Sankara asked the sweeper to move away from his path. He did not. The sweeper ask Shankra 5 questions. This is the Manesha Panchakam. The sweeper is Siva.

How do you view Adi Shankra and the sweeper? Siva? Incarnation? And what of Mahadeva in the Mahabharata when He took the form of a Kirara and ended up fighting Arjuna, then gifting him with weapons i.e.pasupada.

I am intersted to hear your opinions on this...

thank you for the post.

Om Namah Nilakanthaya Namo Namah

pranams.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Yajvan:

Re: my opinions .. Well. they are from a western adoptives.. Saiva Siddhanta from English translations, so nowhere close to your scriptural knowledge

Shankara: a great philosopher that contributed much to Indian thought, but not a pure Saiva..not sure, but didn't he found the Smarta sampradaya.. you see, I did study all this a long time back, but may have since forgotten details

Siva: God.. all, and in all, the Cause, the Primal Soul, The Energy flowing through the universe, and more.. the Great Meditator (as Dakshinamurthi)

Mahabharata: A great epic containing lots of wisdom, but needs to be read from the symbolic point of view (I've only read a condensed and probably poor translation, and that too was a long time ago.. before my finding my sampradaya)

Incarnation: I see it as 'avatar' but like we agreed to before, I can accept other translations like 'siddhar'
    Hope this helps you out.
    Please return the favour and tell me of your sampradaya, philosophical leanings etc. although from reading your other posts, I have a sense already
    Aum Namashivaya

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Yajvan:

Re: my opinions .. Well. they are from a western adoptives.. Saiva Siddhanta from English translations, so nowhere close to your scriptural knowledge

Shankara: a great philosopher that contributed much to Indian thought, but not a pure Saiva..not sure, but didn't he found the Smarta sampradaya.. you see, I did study all this a long time back, but may have since forgotten details

Siva: God.. all, and in all, the Cause, the Primal Soul, The Energy flowing through the universe, and more.. the Great Meditator (as Dakshinamurthi)

Mahabharata: A great epic containing lots of wisdom, but needs to be read from the symbolic point of view (I've only read a condensed and probably poor translation, and that too was a long time ago.. before my finding my sampradaya)

Incarnation: I see it as 'avatar' but like we agreed to before, I can accept other translations like 'siddhar' Hope this helps you out.
    Please return the favour and tell me of your sampradaya, philosophical leanings etc. although from reading your other posts, I have a sense already Aum Namashivaya
    Namate EM,
    thank you for taking the time to reply....

My teachings, readings, sampradaya, and parampara (from Jyotish) are an interesting mix.

Perhaps it would be good to lay out some of this on the 'personal profile' or introdiction pages we have here on HDF. As mine has many teachers, POVs, gurus, and readings over the years., yet I get a bit queasy discussing this.

My firm conviction is the realization of Brahman. I take delight in Visnu and Siva, Yet Mother Divine as Saraswati and Lakshmi are never far away from me in my thoughts. I can never remember a time in my life when I was not thinking of Him. My teachers are Smarta and Vishnava, so I have the best the world can offer, as I am blessed not having to take sides as I see no differnence.

I have had the opportunity and been blessed with several meditative sadhanas and shaki-put. Without the touch of turiya, the silence, it is all for naught. As you have mentioned , it is all talk. Yet this turiya is what makes it all real. It is this turya that brings the blessings... as for me, I know little, but rejoice in being a student of life - this is His gift to me.

There is much to know...yet enlightenment is so simple, so delicate and for some, may be just one thought away.

Rishi Angiras informs us, This Atman cannot be obtained by much study of the Ved or intelligence or much learning. He whom the SELF chooses, by him the SELF can be gained. To him this Atman reveals Its true nature. [Mundakopanishad 3.2.6]

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste EM and Yajvan,

If I may intervene in this discussion … there are two major topics here: (1) Siva Sutras and (2) Saivism and incarnation doctrine. Both these topics are of much interest to me personally, and I would like to add my two cents on both . Since I’m limited by time today, I will post only on the Siva Sutras.

Siva Sutras

First, we should realize that there are actually two sets of Siva Sutras. The first one is a set of 14 sutras in the beginning of Sage Panini’s work on Sanskrit grammar (400 BCE?). These sutras, also known as Maheshvara sutras, are a clever rearrangement of the Sanskrit alphabet and provide the rules for grammar. According to legend, these sutras were written by Panini upon mystically hearing the beats of Siva-Nataraja’s damaru (hourglass-shaped drum). Sage Nandinatha (250 BCE?) wrote a commentary on these sutras called Nandikeshvara Kashika explaining their philosophical meaning from a monistic Saivite perspective. This work explains in the briefest of manner how everything a to z (or in Sanskrit a to ha) is Siva’s manifestation.

The second set of Siva Sutras (under discussion here) are those related to Kashmir Saivism, and were revealed to Sage Vasugupta (ca. 800 CE). These Siva Sutras are based on the monistic teachings of the Saiva Agamas (mostly the Bhairava Agamas). Kashmir Saivas believe that Siva Himself had revealed the Siva Sutras to put an end to the dualistic interpretations of the Agamas. There are two legends about this revelation. The first and more popular legend says that Siva (here called Srikanthanatha, see below) had appeared in a dream to Vasugupta, and revealed to him the location of the Siva Sutras on a rock. The next morning, Vasugupta went to that location and found the 77 Siva Sutras etched there. A second, less popular legend says that Vasugupta was taught the Siva Sutras by a powerful Siddha yogi. Either way, the Siva Sutras are traced back to Vasugupta.

Kashmir Saiva tradition says that with the coming of the kaliyuga, all of the great sages disappeared and the ancient Saiva Agama knowledge originally taught by Siva Himself was completely lost. So, to enlighten humanity once again, Siva appeared as Srikanthanatha near Mt. Kailash. Here, He taught the Siddha-Sage Durvasa the three Saiva Agama doctrines of monism, monistic-dualism, and dualism, and then disappeared. It is the lineage started by Sage Durvasa then that spread the teachings of the Saiva Agamas in the kaliyuga. Srikanthanatha therefore is the name and form of Siva in the kaliyuga as the Revealer of all knowledge, including that received by Vasugupta.

As for Siva Sutras, they are foundational to Kashmir Saivism, and very highly regarded in that school. Saivism, in general, gives all its Agama texts the status of shruti, and considers them of equal authority as the Vedas. In that, Siva Sutras are also considered part of the Agama canon. The Siva Sutras are well known and used by other schools of Saivism as well, but not as a foundational text. In Saiva Siddhanta, the pluralistic school of Meykanda Devar does not generally use the Siva Sutras because its monistic teachings are contrary to their pluralism.

Aum Namah Shivaya.
    A.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 29 September 2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Minor correction

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste AD (et.al)

Thank you for your post. What you write is my understanding and study.
    If one was interested in the 14 sutras or the roots of sanskrit grammer by Panini, also called Maheshvara Sutras,consider this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Sutra.

Back to the 77 Siva Sutras in progress.

Vismayo yogabhumikah
    12. The Yogic powers here (in this state of being) comprise indescribable astonishment (wonder).

ieeha saktir uma kamari
    13. For such a Yogi, any desire is identical with the Supreme Energy of Lord Siva and hence his desire cannot be checked by any power.

Drsyam sariram
    14. For such a Yogi, even his own body becomes an extraneous object or the totality of extraneous objects is (constitute) his own Universal Body.

For those that are following along on this. The wisdom, offering and implications of the above sutras makes ones heart swell.

In this state of accomplishment, this Brahmvidvarishta or Brahma Sakshtkara ( Self Realization), ones actions are His actions. This 'devotion' is then 7x24x365 because one becomes the extention of Him. One has nothing to achieve, all has been achieved. This is the complete fulfillment of Krsna's teaching of the Gita.

Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information