Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Siva Sutras

Re: Siva Sutras

namaste yajvan,
    Thank you for starting this thread on siva sutras.

May I request you to provide the source/translation you are using as reference (i.e. book(s), author(s), website(s)) for the reader so that they can get more information if needed.

Personally for me, I am always interested in not only in the translated works of someone but in checking out the author's background and his or her other works. This applies to everything I get time to read.

Thanks yajvan!
    Last edited by satay; 01 October 2007 at 09:47 AM.
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Personally for me, I am always interested in not only in the translated works of someone but in checking out the author's background and his or her other works. This applies to everything I get time to read.

Thanks yajvan!
    Namate satay,
    for most of the Siva Sutra's offered it is from Swami Lakshmana Joo. Not a familiar name, yet his wisdom is worthy of note.

Swami Lakshmana Joo , on this earth May 9, 1907 and left September, 1991.

A practitioner of Tantric Monism of Kashmir known as the Trika system, he also spent time with some of the luminaries e.g. Ramana Maharshi at the Ramanachramam., and a very strong family circle of sadhus.

His works include "Lectures on Practice and Discipline in Kashmir Saivism." "The Kashmir Saivism - supreme secret" , Siva Sutras, and and the like.

You will also see my comments on the Sutras - these comments are inspired by my past readings of the the Masters as it is they that stimulate the thoughts of the deepest wisdom for the sadhu in study.

If one wanted more info on this, Google Siva Sutras as I am trying to take the best-of-the-best [ as I see it] . No deviations to the sutras, but perhaps different perspectives. On that note, Paramahamsa Nithyananda-ji talks of a few sutras on posts you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMDaHVdS7I
    His information is practical and is from the lips of a muni. His insights are worthy of the time to listen and ponder.

I find Swami Lakshmana Joo's work succinct and insightful and core to the Siva Sutra posts. I hope in some way the information is valuable and sparks one to go and pursue the Sutras and other readings of this nature.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    If one wanted more info on this, Google Siva Sutras as I am trying to take the best-of-the-best [ as I see it] . No deviations to the sutras, but perhaps different perspectives. On that note, Paramahamsa Nithyananda-ji talks of a few sutras on posts you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMDaHVdS7I
    His information is practical and is from the lips of a muni. His insights are worthy of the time to listen and ponder.

I find Swami Lakshmana Joo's work succinct and insightful and core to the Siva Sutra posts. I hope in some way the information is valuable and sparks one to go and pursue the Sutras and other readings of this nature.

pranams,
    Thanks Yajvan for the link to the video and the author.
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Vismayo yogabhumikah
    12. The Yogic powers here (in this state of being) comprise indescribable astonishment (wonder).

ieeha saktir uma kamari
    13. For such a Yogi, any desire is identical with the Supreme Energy of Lord Siva and hence his desire cannot be checked by any power.

Drsyam sariram
    14. For such a Yogi, even his own body becomes an extraneous object or the totality of extraneous objects is (constitute) his own Universal Body.

For those that are following along on this. The wisdom, offering and implications of the above sutras makes ones heart swell.

In this state of accomplishment, this Brahmvidvarishta or Brahma Sakshtkara ( Self Realization), ones actions are His actions. This 'devotion' is then 7x24x365 because one becomes the extention of Him. One has nothing to achieve, all has been achieved. This is the complete fulfillment of Krsna's teaching of the Gita.
    Back to the 77 Siva Sutras in progress.

Hirdaye cittasanighattad drsyasvapadarsanam
    15. By establishing one's mind in the heart-the Universal Consciousness-the whole world of perception appears as one's own nature.

Suddha­tattva­sandhanad va apasusaktih
    16. Or by establishing uninterrupted awareness of Pure Supreme Nature, the energy of Shiva is experienced.

Vitarka atmajnanam
    17. For such a realized soul, any ordinary thought becomes the means of realizing one's own self.

This one stitch of the 15th sutra is a very profound. The environment, the surroundings, all become an extention of your experience.
    Some of you may be blessed with a glimpse of this... The 'blessing' is putting one foot in the bath water at a time.
    My teacher has said the contrast of what one is used compared to this new view is stiking.

Paramahamsa Nithyananda-ji talks of this and his experience. My friend had this experince for 4 months 7x24x365.
    The post of this experince: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524

Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya
    Attached Images Attached Images
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaskar Satay, Yajvan,

for most of the Siva Sutra's offered it is from Swami Lakshmana Joo. Not a familiar name, yet his wisdom is worthy of note.
    Swami Lakshmana Joo , on this earth May 9, 1907 and left September, 1991.
    A practitioner of Tantric Monism of Kashmir known as the Trika system, he also spent time with some of the luminaries e.g. Ramana Maharshi at the Ramanachramam., and a very strong family circle of sadhus.
    Swami Lakshman Joo Maharaj is actually quite well known and one of the most highly respected Saivite gurus of the 20th century. He was the very last Guru through direct disciplinic succession of Kashmir Saivism straight from the line of the ancient masters of this school. His speeches, his works and teachings can be considered the final authority in Kashmir Saivism. Before Swami Lakshman Joo was discovered it was thought that the line of Kashmir Saiva masters had long since ended. Swami Lakshman Joo did much to revive this ancient philosophy, both in India and in the West. It is in large part due to his efforts that Kashmir Saivism still lives and thrives today. Although he initiated many people during his lifetime, he did not appoint anyone as his sole successor. A few months before his Maha Samadhi, he visited the US and founded the Universal Shaiva Fellowship in California.

Sivacarya Ishvarsvarup Swami Lakshman Joo Maharaj

One may read about Swami Lakshman Joo at these sites:

http://www.koausa.org/Saints/LakshmanJoo/article2.html
    http://www.koausa.org/Saints/LakshmanJoo/article1.html
    http://www.ishwarashramtrust.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Yes Satay, this is always a good practice. You can look up Swami Lakshman Joo's background in the above links. Also, you can find the entire set of his translation of the Siva Sutras at these sites:

http://ikashmir.net/religion/shivsutras.html
    http://www.universalshaivafellowship...chings_02.html

There are various other translations available as well. Dr. Subhash Kaks translation is available through this site (pdf file):

http://www.ece.lsu.edu/kak/shiva.pdf

Aum Namah Shivaya,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    My understanding is that 'avatar' is a Vaishnava concept. Siva does not come to Earth in a human form, other than as Satguru.
    Actually this is true, at least in regard of Agamic shaivism.

BTW original verse of Gita re incarnation of Lord goes like "tadAtmAMshaM sRijAmyaham" and not popularly accepted "tadAtmAnam". Lord Himself never incarnates in any single limited being, but He acts through Gurus and siddhas.

Exclamation Re: Siva Sutras

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Swami Lakshman Joo Maharaj is actually quite well known and one of the most highly respected Saivite gurus of the 20th century. He was the very last Guru through direct disciplinic succession of Kashmir Saivism straight from the line of the ancient masters of this school. His speeches, his works and teachings can be considered the final authority in Kashmir Saivism.
    Namaste,

While Swami Lakshmanji is indeed "quite well known" he isn't "the very last Guru" of KSh and his works verily cannot be considered "the final authority"!
    There is only one "final authority" - Shiva. In regard of jnAna He manifests in three aspects - as Sattarka, Sadguru and Sadagama. And Swami Lakshmanji is Sadguru only for his disciples and not for everyone in every lineage.

If at all we speak of some "final authority" in KSh in sense of greatest Guru, the only figure whom we can suggest is Sri Abhinavagupta.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Namaste,

While Swami Lakshmanji is indeed "quite well known" he isn't "the very last Guru" of KSh and his works verily cannot be considered "the final authority"!
    There is only one "final authority" - Shiva. In regard of jnAna He manifests in three aspects - as Sattarka, Sadguru and Sadagama. And Swami Lakshmanji is Sadguru only for his disciples and not for everyone in every lineage.

If at all we speak of some "final authority" in KSh in sense of greatest Guru, the only figure whom we can suggest is Sri Abhinavagupta.
    Namaste Arjuna,
    thank you for pointing this out... there is only one final.
    नमः शिवाय च शिवतराय च
    namah śivāya ca śivatarāya ca

Now there was this comment of Destruction... a word used at times for Siva's greatness. Over time one gets used to this , but dissolution is more adept a meaning IMHO... I am not correcting anyone here, just my orientation and POV based on my studies.

Yet when I think of dissolution I think of complete annihilation, complete absorption back into the Absolute.

Can you think of anything today made of man that can do this? Even an atom bomb only converts Mass to energy [ E=Mc²]. The energy remains in this Universe as heat, or particles or the like. and for me this is Destruction.

Dissolution is the complete removal/absorbson of matter+energy back to its source... Prakriti returns to aksara. Back to Ajari. This is one aspect of Siva.

Om Namo Rudraya

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Back to the 77 Siva Sutras in progress.

Hirdaye cittasanighattad drsyasvapadarsanam
    15. By establishing one's mind in the heart-the Universal Consciousness-the whole world of perception appears as one's own nature.

Suddha-tattva-sandhanad va apasusaktih
    16. Or by establishing uninterrupted awareness of Pure Supreme Nature, the energy of Shiva is experienced.

Vitarka atmajnanam
    17. For such a realized soul, any ordinary thought becomes the means of realizing one's own self.

This one stitch of the 15th sutra is a very profound. The environment, the surroundings, all become an extention of your experience.
    Some of you may be blessed with a glimpse of this... The 'blessing' is putting one foot in the bath water at a time.
    My teacher has said the contrast of what one is used compared to this new view is stiking.

Paramahamsa Nithyananda-ji talks of this and his experience. My friend had this experince for 4 months 7x24x365.
    The post of this experince: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524

Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya
    We Continue ...

Lokanandah Samadhisukham
    18. His being in the ecstatic state of Samadhi bestows bliss and happiness to the whole humanity or the totality of enjoyment in the universe constitutes (or comprises) his ecstatic state of Samadhi.

Saktisandhane sarirotpattih
    l9. By putting (concentrating) one's mind on Universal Energy, body internal or external, is formed by his mere will. (Such power is attainable by him in two other states also viz. dream and deep sleep).

Bhutasandhana-bhutaprthaktva-visvasamghattah
    20. Such a Yogi is capable of
    • helping humanity unbounded by space and time
    • casting off his body for specified time­periods, and
    • manifesting his body at various places simultaneously, by remaining in God consciousness.
    Note the potential for the muni: To assist humanity. But why so? Humanity-society is an extention of him-her SELF. There is nothing that is not Him. And one does Univeral Dharma, Univeral actions in this state. He/She is completely supported by all the laws of nature, all the devata.

Yet one asks to assist humanity to do what? to realize their true nature Brahma-rasa. And for samanvaya, harmony in them, the individual, and in the family of man.

Now, my teacher says, since the muni is completely free, s/he can do what ever one likes... for some they may withdraw, for others they may engage in society... The Jivanmukti is at liberty to choose.

Aumnamasivaya
    Last edited by yajvan; 04 October 2007 at 01:18 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaskar Arjuna,
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Yes, you are indeed quite correct to point this out. "Final authority" was a bad choice of words on my part, in retrospect. Perhaps to say that his works were authoritarian was sufficient. My point here was that Swami Lakshman Joo is a respected Guru in the tradition. There is no doubt that Acharya Abhinavagupta was the greatest Guru in the tradition.

Regards,
    A.

Thread Information