Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Incarnation of Shiva

Incarnation of Shiva

namaskar,

This post is inspired by the Siva Sutra thread. Lord Shiva's incarnations are not as widely known as Lord Vishnu's.

Would be very helpful if we could collect more information about 'Incarnations of Shiva'.

We can start with "Sri kanthanatha, an incarnation of Lord Shiva".
    satay

Re: Incarnation of Shiva

Namaste Satay.

If I remember correctly Hanuman, Shirdi Sai Baba, Sathya Sai (by his devotees), Adi Shankara (by Smarta Hindus), Dattatreya, and Sarabeswara, are all avatars of lord Shankar.

Does that mean you consider Shiva and Vishnu different( not that I have a problem with this idea), so that their incarnations are disjoint?

Shiva's incarnations are usually in the heaven, and Vishnu on earth. Ganesha, Kartikeya,Nandikeshwara etc are all incarnations of Shiva. Sages like Durvasa , ashwattama etc are incarnations of Shiva.

We should note that Shiva is usually considered nirguNa which cannot have incarnations. Vishnu(or Shakti) is the form by which Shiva manifests. Therefore, all incarnations are typically that of Vishnu.

Every person in this world is an incarnation of Vishnu, though the degrees of manifestation are different.
    He is the one on whom our hope depends. For if Hanuman survives, all we though dead are yet alive. But if his precious life be lost though living still we are but dead: He is our hope and sure relief -Jambavan (Yuddha Kanda. 74). Impossibility=Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post
    Namaste Satay.

If I remember correctly Hanuman, Shirdi Sai Baba, Sathya Sai (by his devotees), Adi Shankara (by Smarta Hindus), Dattatreya, and Sarabeswara, are all avatars of lord Shankar.
    Hanuman - incarnation of vAyu ( never seen an authentic pramANa for hanuman being Shiva although the popular idea comes from hanumAn chAlIsa)

Dattatreya - incarnation of Vishnu

atreh patny anasuya trin
    jajne suyasasah sutan
    dattam durvasasam somam
    atmesa-brahma-sambhavan (SB 4.1.15)

datta=atma; durvAsa=isa; soma=brahma;

Since Isa is usually used to denote Shiva, Atma in this context refers to Vishnu to avoid punarAkRti. So Dattatreya refers to Vishnu.
    He is the one on whom our hope depends. For if Hanuman survives, all we though dead are yet alive. But if his precious life be lost though living still we are but dead: He is our hope and sure relief -Jambavan (Yuddha Kanda. 74). Impossibility=Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Madhavan View Post
    Does that mean you consider Shiva and Vishnu different( not that I have a problem with this idea), so that their incarnations are disjoint?

Shiva's incarnations are usually in the heaven, and Vishnu on earth. Ganesha, Kartikeya,Nandikeshwara etc are all incarnations of Shiva. Sages like Durvasa , ashwattama etc are incarnations of Shiva.

We should note that Shiva is usually considered nirguNa which cannot have incarnations. Vishnu(or Shakti) is the form by which Shiva manifests. Therefore, all incarnations are typically that of Vishnu.

Every person in this world is an incarnation of Vishnu, though the degrees of manifestation are different.

Namaskar,

My understanding is similar from reading of Vedas. Vishnu(or Shakti) is the form by which Shiva manifests. To Madhavacharya, Vishnu appeared from Shivalinga.

However, Upanishad says that Shiva resides directly as Brahman in Varanasi -- the place above nasika and between eyebrows and in Hridaya.

Vishnu is from Soma.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

What about Nataraja?
    i want to learn about Nataraja...

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Madhavan et al:
    You said:

There would be different perspectives on this, obviously. I agree with the above point, but maybe its just regurgitation. In my opinion, God only knows. The rest of us are ego-bound. (With the exception of souls who are actually Self-realised) Declaring, as someone said before, that one is an incarnation of Siva (Sankara, Sai Baba etc.) is just another way in most cases of the followers putting their gurus on a higher pedestal, like adding more SRI's in front of their names, or to convince themselves. Personally, I have no idea, and am willing to admit it. Simpler questions such as "How can I control anger?" How can I stay away from ego? etc are more important. This is all within self (small s) seeking. Aum Namashivaya

Dattatreya - incarnation of Vishnu
    Namaste Madhavan.

I remember hearing from several sources (mind you perhaps they are biased and/or incorrect on this matter), that Dattatreya was originally considered and avatar of Shiva, and only later became known as an incarnation of Vishnu, then the whole Hindu trimurti (Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma). Though I might be incorrect there.

Hanuman - incarnation of vAyu
    I'd always thought he was an avatar of both Vayu and Shiva, but having checked my sources, you are correct on the matter of this belief simply coming from the Hanuman Chalisa.

Well, I do consider both to just be different forms of the one same force, I always though avatars were identified with which ever form they're teachings and functions corresponded with the most, or that the specific form of Brahman incarnates, and thus the avatar becomes almost like a sub-form of sort. Sorry, if I'm being a bit confusing here.

What about Nataraja?
    i want to learn about Nataraja...
    Namaste Shian.

Nataraja is not a physical incarnation of Shiva, but rather a form he assumes during the creation and destruction of the universe. He dances atop a small demon, symbolizing his suppression of evil forces, and his triumph of ignorance. In one hand he holds a flame which represents the destruction of the material universe. In another hand he holds a small drum (called a damaru), which represents the sound through which Brahma recreates the universe. His third hand is held up in the Abhaya mudra, through which he protects his devotees from evil and ignorance, and his fourth hand points toward his raised leg, which represents upliftment, and enlightenment. His hair which is usually tied up in a large pile, flows freely represented his wild and unbound nature, and the snake which is usually curled around one of this arms (or his neck) is now completely uncoiled, representing the uncoiling of the human kundalini, which leads to ones enlightenment.
    Last edited by Baobobtree; 27 December 2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Madhavan et al:
    You said:

There would be different perspectives on this, obviously. I agree with the above point, but maybe its just regurgitation. In my opinion, God only knows. The rest of us are ego-bound. (With the exception of souls who are actually Self-realised) Declaring, as someone said before, that one is an incarnation of Siva (Sankara, Sai Baba etc.) is just another way in most cases of the followers putting their gurus on a higher pedestal, like adding more SRI's in front of their names, or to convince themselves. Personally, I have no idea, and am willing to admit it. Simpler questions such as "How can I control anger?" How can I stay away from ego? etc are more important. This is all within self (small s) seeking. Aum Namashivaya
    Yes the claims of Shankara or Saibaba being incarnations is a pure beleif of their followers and not applicable to all Hindus. That said, according to Advaita vedanta, jIva is only Brahman, though he does not know it. This would qualify for all beings to be incarnations of Vishnu. But a full incarnation like Sri Rama or Krishna are aware of their avatarhood while ordinary mortals like us do not know - so that is the difference. Like you said, I dont generally beleive in the claims of those claiming to be avatars, as avatars are very rare and there is no need to accept one not found in the scripture without evidence.( and get hoodwinked).

Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post

I remember hearing from several sources (mind you perhaps they are biased and/or incorrect on this matter), that Dattatreya was originally considered and avatar of Shiva, and only later became known as an incarnation of Vishnu, then the whole Hindu trimurti (Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma). Though I might be incorrect there.
    Is there any scriptural evidence ( any smriti text) that supports the idea that Dattatreya is an incarnation of Shiva? I have also heard of Dattatreya being V+S+B but never seen any evidence.

Thread Information