Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: My Experiences with ISKCON

Re: My Experiences with ISKCON

Namaskar Suresh,

We can always remove the word 'believes', and it'll read: As advaita defines the truth negatively
    Defining involves assumptions. And the only assumption Advaita relies on are the Abheda srutis of Vedas. Following a course of action also depends on the faith on the validity of definitions etc.

But the fact of existence is never questioned or denied.
    This is the finest point from you. However, logic alone cannot get the truth that the existence is one, without help from Sruti. Shankara is very emphatic on this.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 16 February 2008 at 10:32 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: My Experiences with ISKCON

Pranam Suresh

Quote Originally Posted by suresh View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but faith is required only if reasoning fails.

Suresh
    Feel free this is an open forum, as explained before mere reasoning can never reach you to final goal.

So faith is intrinsically evil, especially when it concerns religion. Christianity and Islam are terrific examples.
    You are basing your opinion on faith on account of your experience with Christianity and Islam don’t let that cloud your judgement on faith.
    Krishna says that is if you have faith in him,

Faith in sacrifice, charity, and austerity is also called SAT. The action for the sake of the Supreme is verily termed as SAT. (17.27)
    Whatever is done without faith; whether it is sacrifice, charity, austerity, or any other act; is called Asat. It has no value here or hereafter, O Arjuna. (17.28)

And who tries to shove it down your throat? Only those who have 'faith' in their religion. You wouldn't normally find a faithless person doing this, would you?
    Not quite, only misguided person resort to such tactics, and faithless person is no exception, in fact he is worse he will tell you live a little there is no god eat, wine and be merry for who has seen tomorrow.

Do you ever find a scientist trying to convert people to his viewpoint through force and fraud, or is this peculiar habit restricted to religious people, people who have faith? We've heard of religious wars, wars in the name of god, all based on faith. Do we ever find such things happening in the field of science or rationalism, which is devoid of faith? The answer is self-evident.
    No one is disputing force is evil, we can go on discussing merit of scientist but that is not relevant, your answers well may be evident to you but I can tell you science have produced some of the worst weapon that can kill humanity out of existence but I have faith nothing can happen without the will of god on grand scale of things.

Which doesn't mean I am bashing all religions. But to harp on faith all the time, when Hinduism has much more to offer.....I find this to be an extremely puzzling attitude amongst Hindus. Most 'modern' Hindus sound pretty semitic to me, constantly speaking their language which includes faith, belief etc.
    Perhaps you can tell us what Hinduism has to offer then we can see where you are coming from.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information