Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My Experiences with ISKCON

I am always on the wrong side with the moderators, now I have both moderators replying to me - God save Ramkish reputation

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    responsibility rests with both the seeker and the organization especially if the organization is selling itself as the "experts that know the truth".
    Shri Satay, every organisation sells itself as experts that know the truth. When forming an organisation this is an inevitable problem. Many people who visit Kanchi Kamakoti peetam said this. Many people who visit Srirangam Jeer said this. There were serious allegations on Puttabarthi Saibaba, Kalki Ashram and Mel maruvatthur peetam. I have a set of paper cuttings that gives allegations on Hindu Organisations as such.

The present case is not ISKCON in real not their vaishnavism in real but expectations of every individual member of this forum from ISKCON. When I visit to a place I go there with an expectation, when it is not met, I agree I will be upset. Now I have two choices 1. Try to know that the organisation is really; 2. If it not matches with me I should not go there

If one does not likes ISKCON stop visiting, simple as that

Now, I lack competence to educate a person of calibre like Satay or BYS or any other person, but I prefer to remind you what you know but verily forgotten.

Vaishnavism is verily spun around service orientation. This is sharp contrast with Advaiti philosophy where one feels he is god, where in in vaishnavism one feels he is a slave of lord and his servants. Let me give you an analogy

One advaitin visited a temple and wrote on the wall - SOHAM (I am him); a vaishnavite came and saw, felt it is wrong, instead of erasing he simply added "Daa" to it, now it read - DAASOHAM (I am his servant), advaitin returned back and saw his vaakhya got spoiled, again instead of erasing he simply added "SA" to it, now it read - SADAASOHAM (I am eternally him), Vaishnavite returned, saw and added another "Daa" to it, now it read - DAASA DAASOHAM (I am the servant of his servants)

Both the people in this are intelligent people but verily displayed their tolerance and this also talks about vaishnav faith. Vaishnav always feels his is a slave of the lord and a servant of lord's servant. Hence, before entering ISKCON or any other vaishnav organisation, let us be prepared to do service and not to expect any service

ISKCON is good in making people to serve - Whom do you serve, if not a great person but we are serving a human, we are of service to nature, we are serving the temple. They make it blunt and ask one to do service, for that is how a vaishnav starts his quest.

Many of us, including me, feel that having finished graduation, simply want to command respect in ISKCON kind of organisation, wherein, they do not know me, they do not know what is my knowledge, what I am capable of, so they start from the basics. Unlike schooling, I cannot carry a certificate saying I HAVE FINISHED BASIC SERVICING and force ISKCON to continue with other levels. My mastery in patanjali Yoga or Narada Bhakti sutra is of no consideration in the very begining. Either I have prove myself to them or wait for the time.

While advocating tolerance to all, we verily forget to show it in our practise by this kind of threads

How are the westerners supposed to know that the version of the truth an organization is selling is a twisted one (i am not referring to iskcon necessarilary) when the westerners have not had any contact with the original teachings? Forget westerners most of the pseudo hindus even don't have any idea of the original teachings and just know some politically charged translations.
    Shri Satayji, can I request you not to use this word. Now you too join the group which assumes something of hinduism is wrong and something is correct. If ISKCON is politically charged, I want to know what you say is correct and orginal teachings. Does the view you have, should necessarily be correct for other vaishnavs or other hindus in common.

By I do agree with your "buyers beware" message. That doesn't mean that the seller that sells the junk is right in doing so.
    My idea is not only buyers beware but also, let us not ask for household provisions in a medical shop.

Furthermore, if Shri Satayji feels ISKCON is selling junk then tackle it in proper way. Call Shri Prabhupada for a debate and prove it to him that he is selling junk

On the other hand, say, If I used the similar phrase, selling junk, to a tantric practitioner or advaitin - sringeri peetam, what will be your first response as a moderator, same hold good for you being a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakti Yoga Seeker
    Ramkish, I see what you are saying. However, ISKCON sells itself as the answer for spiritual life. They also sell themselves as experts on spiritual matters. If they are not going to uphold their end of the bargain and fall far short of what they advertise, then they are not a reputable organization. Likewise, people are not as dumb as we want to think. If a business turns out to sell bad products after the people believed they would be good, less and less people buy them and they may go out of business. ISKCON in the past 20 years has been quite dead compared to what it was in the 60s and 70s. What does this say?
    Who has destroyed Hare Rama Hare Krishna, it is verily hindus themselves. When we are happy with some hindus drink wine, eat maamsa, in the very name of religion, while practising tolerance to such Hindus, we successfully condemned Hare Rama Hare Krishna for wrongful practises.

Now we have started again with ISKCON.

Now, behind the stage, name an organisation which is picture perfect. Name an organisation which practises the same as what they preach. I find nothing. Every organisation as some over worked person and few holy men are not so very holy. What happened to sex allegation levied upon Puttabarthi Saibaba and what happened to abduction allegations levied on Kalki Ashram, few things escapes out for want of evidence and few so called holy men get convicted. Even after getting convicted, such ashrams which has courted such false holy men are still functioning.

After all these, what happened to the tolerance we were preaching. Why no one spells out what ISKCON as to teach to their disciples. What do you think is lacking in ISKCON - All I can see is that ISKCON interpretations does not match with our pre-conceived ideas on hinduism.

Had we ever made provisions that Monistic view need not to be the only correct philosophy - Do we really forget for all dualist gurus are blessed too

Now, if I post a similar stuff condemning Kanchi Kamakoti Seer and mutt and Premananda a seer who belongs Saaktha sect of Hinduism, will you tolerate this as a moderator. What happened to that moderator who said let us not condemn any sect as wrong, bogus etc or Is that this thread is out of purview of the moderator

The purpose of this post should be what could ISKCON do to change now

Otherwise, if the purpose of this thread is to condemn ISKCON or closing ISKCON down, then request moderators to show me the difference between so called intentions of Vaishnavs and the very moderators, where the very moderators want to put a full stop to a vaishnav sect

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    Who has destroyed Hare Rama Hare Krishna, it is verily hindus themselves. When we are happy with some hindus drink wine, eat maamsa, in the very name of religion, while practising tolerance to such Hindus, we successfully condemned Hare Rama Hare Krishna for wrongful practises.

Now, behind the stage, name an organisation which is picture perfect. Name an organisation which practises the same as what they preach. I find nothing. Every organisation as some over worked person and few holy men are not so very holy. What happened to sex allegation levied upon Puttabarthi Saibaba and what happened to abduction allegations levied on Kalki Ashram, few things escapes out for want of evidence and few so called holy men get convicted. Even after getting convicted, such ashrams which has courted such false holy men are still functioning.

After all these, what happened to the tolerance we were preaching. Why no one spells out what ISKCON as to teach to their disciples. What do you think is lacking in ISKCON - All I can see is that ISKCON interpretations does not match with our pre-conceived ideas on hinduism.

Had we ever made provisions that Monistic view need not to be the only correct philosophy - Do we really forget for all dualist gurus are blessed too

Now, if I post a similar stuff condemning Kanchi Kamakoti Seer and mutt and Premananda a seer who belongs Saaktha sect of Hinduism, will you tolerate this as a moderator. What happened to that moderator who said let us not condemn any sect as wrong, bogus etc or Is that this thread is out of purview of the moderator

Otherwise, if the purpose of this thread is to condemn ISKCON or closing ISKCON down, then request moderators to show me the difference between so called intentions of Vaishnavs and the very moderators, where the very moderators want to put a full stop to a vaishnav sect
    Post two and three is common of all religious organisations including christian and Jain organisations

I would like to remind the readers we live in a country where we even accused Shri Mother Theresa as spy of USA. I can see none of the religious organisation can escape such allegations

If we see express violation of law, as a lawyer I suggest all hindus to give a police complaint

Jai shree krishna

I am always on the wrong side with the moderators, now I have both moderators replying to me - God save Ramkish reputation
    For the second time, moderators also post as members. It is unnecessary to refer to us as moderators when simply participating in a thread along with everyone else. This is common sense and I can't figure out why you didn't get it the first time. If we are posting as a moderator, we will post a note saying so.

Shri Satay, every organisation sells itself as experts that know the truth. When forming an organisation this is an inevitable problem. Many people who visit Kanchi Kamakoti peetam said this. Many people who visit Srirangam Jeer said this. There were serious allegations on Puttabarthi Saibaba, Kalki Ashram and Mel maruvatthur peetam. I have a set of paper cuttings that gives allegations on Hindu Organisations as such.
    You are making alibis to divert attention away from the subject at hand. The topic of this thread isn't concerned about those other organizations. The topic is about ISKCON and you should not be trying excuse it by posting such alibis.

The present case is not ISKCON in real not their vaishnavism in real but expectations of every individual member of this forum from ISKCON. When I visit to a place I go there with an expectation, when it is not met, I agree I will be upset. Now I have two choices 1. Try to know that the organisation is really; 2. If it not matches with me I should not go there

If one does not likes ISKCON stop visiting, simple as that
    True, but you are still making excuses. It is understandable that if one tries something and doesn't like it, then they go elsewhere. The problem here is that ISKCON is missionary and most of the people that end up there were preached at. ISKCON comes to us, we don't go to it. ISKCON appears in public streets and advertises a certain image as to what it is. Then when people go to it they see that it is not what they said it was. Some people see this on day one. Others don't realize the truth until years have gone by. Just as you are telling us the "buyer beware" message, people also have the right to "blow the whistle" on a company that puts out a bad business deal.

Now, I lack competence to educate a person of calibre like Satay or BYS or any other person, but I prefer to remind you what you know but verily forgotten.

Vaishnavism is verily spun around service orientation. This is sharp contrast with Advaiti philosophy where one feels he is god, where in in vaishnavism one feels he is a slave of lord and his servants. Let me give you an analogy

One advaitin visited a temple and wrote on the wall - SOHAM (I am him); a vaishnavite came and saw, felt it is wrong, instead of erasing he simply added "Daa" to it, now it read - DAASOHAM (I am his servant), advaitin returned back and saw his vaakhya got spoiled, again instead of erasing he simply added "SA" to it, now it read - SADAASOHAM (I am eternally him), Vaishnavite returned, saw and added another "Daa" to it, now it read - DAASA DAASOHAM (I am the servant of his servants)

Both the people in this are intelligent people but verily displayed their tolerance and this also talks about vaishnav faith. Vaishnav always feels his is a slave of the lord and a servant of lord's servant. Hence, before entering ISKCON or any other vaishnav organisation, let us be prepared to do service and not to expect any service
    You are again changing the subject and derailing the thread. The topic is ISKCON. It is not Advaita vs. Vaishnava which is a ridiculous comparison like comparing Christianity to church. ?????????????

Your last line is essentially supporting parasitic religion. The idea that everyone serve some big institution but that the institution has no obligation to serve those who are serving it. If this is the case of ISKCON, then it is time someone call the IRS so that they can remove the "non-profit" and "tax-exempt" statuses away from ISKCON and start treating them just like any other business that has to pay taxes. Again, if they are going to advertise that they are here to provide a spiritual environment and spiritual instruction to the community, convince everyone to donate money and time, and then have no reason to uphold their end of the bargain, they are a bogus organization. At least in the U.S., non-profit organizations have to have mission statements, report their earnings and expenditures, and keep to their purpose. I might be on to something here...

ISKCON is good in making people to serve - Whom do you serve, if not a great person but we are serving a human, we are of service to nature, we are serving the temple. They make it blunt and ask one to do service, for that is how a vaishnav starts his quest.
    I certainly agree with you that people pursuing spiritual life (regardless of tradition or even religion) need to adopt a serving mindset. However, *everyone* that is a part of the institution needs to serve. If Group A is serving and Group B is taking, then you have a parasitic organization. Legally, if people donate their money to a non-profit organization, the organization has to spend the money in a way that will benefit the people donating it and in congruence with its mission. Thus, if people donate $10,000 for a deity installation and the deity is installed and the cost is reasonably comparable, then that is a win-win form of serving. People donate their money to the organization and the organization uses it to everyone's benefit. However, if the organization pockets half of the money and uses it on secretive escapades, that is not only unethical but it is illegal. I am not saying ISKCON does this but essentially you are saying that we need to serve it without expecting it to serve us. If that is what you wish for, I assume you also believe that ISKCON should not be tax-exempt.

Any of us know that there are levels within the institution. You have the temple visitors, the regular attendees, the outside donors, those who do a lot of seva but live outside, those who are live-in devotees, the internal management, and then the upper management (GBC). For a successful organization, ALL of the groups have to "serve." Sadly, there are key groups here which seem to take instead of serve--the management. There are books written on this stuff that describes the activities of the "takers" going on for decades.

Many of us, including me, feel that having finished graduation, simply want to command respect in ISKCON kind of organisation, wherein, they do not know me, they do not know what is my knowledge, what I am capable of, so they start from the basics. Unlike schooling, I cannot carry a certificate saying I HAVE FINISHED BASIC SERVICING and force ISKCON to continue with other levels. My mastery in patanjali Yoga or Narada Bhakti sutra is of no consideration in the very begining. Either I have prove myself to them or wait for the time.
    You are continuing to make alibis. Apparently, you didn't comprehend some of the key points I made in the OP. Nobody is asking ISKCON to go to arms lenghts to "serve" someone they don't even know. What one would at least expect, however, is that at least one person from the management or at least a live-in devotee take the time to answer basic questions to a newcomer or at the bare minimum at least acknowledge that a newcomer has walked through the door and greet them accoridingly. Note the word "basic." Again, we have duplicity here. The organization will go out into the streets distributing books and talking to everyone that walks by yet when one of those people show up to the "Sunday program" that was advertised, they are conveniently "lost" in the crowd. I have seen people standing around many times with no one to take interest in them. What ends up happening is that other outsiders talk to them. This results in the blind leading the blind concept. Outside devotees have to help other outside devotees while the inside devotees are playing their games.

While advocating tolerance to all, we verily forget to show it in our practise by this kind of threads
    Where exactly have I not been tolerant here?

Shri Satayji, can I request you not to use this word. Now you too join the group which assumes something of hinduism is wrong and something is correct. If ISKCON is politically charged, I want to know what you say is correct and orginal teachings. Does the view you have, should necessarily be correct for other vaishnavs or other hindus in common.
    I have no idea what you are saying in the above paragraph. It doesn't even seem like a complete thought.

My idea is not only buyers beware but also, let us not ask for household provisions in a medical shop.

Furthermore, if Shri Satayji feels ISKCON is selling junk then tackle it in proper way. Call Shri Prabhupada for a debate and prove it to him that he is selling junk
    You are speaking words that are unintelligible. What on earth are you talking about? This is gibberish that doesn't even contain a complete thought. As to your last sentence, you are requesting that we have a debate with someone who is no longer alive.

On the other hand, say, If I used the similar phrase, selling junk, to a tantric practitioner or advaitin - sringeri peetam, what will be your first response as a moderator, same hold good for you being a member.
    Do you need some help with something?

I cannot converse with someone who isn't even stating complete thoughts. ~BYS~

As usual with everything you post, the minute someone points out something you cannot defend, you either change the subject, make up an alibi, or blame someone else. If ISKCON is so weak that Hindus can destroy it by drinking some wine, then perhaps the organization wasn't meant to be in the first place. Again, you are comparing two different things that have nothing to do with each other. What on earth does drinking wine have anything at all to do with chanting "Hare Rama Hare Krishna"? One is a mind-altering beverage and the other is a mantra. I am really curious to know how Hindus drinking wine have caused the death and destruction of the Maha Mantra and ISKCON.

Additionally, you have demonstrated you don't know the definition of the word "tolerance" even after I already explained it to someone else here on this forum. If you cannot look it up in the dictionary I can tell you. Tolerance means dealing with something you disagree with in a mature fashion, often by simply ignoring it. Tolerance doesn't mean acceptance. You can tolerate Hindus drinking wine even though you don't accept it. No one is asking ISKCON to accept the things it disagrees with. Merely tolerating something doesn't mean going against your own personal values.

Last but not least, I'd like to know why you have stated that Hindus are drinking wine "in the name of religion" without providing evidence to support your claim. This isn't even on topic so I suggest you take such topics to another thread.

No one is asking ISKCON or any other organization to be perfect but if the organization is going to draw in millions of people and take in billions of dollars, they should at least be more than halfway there.

Again, you are not making any sense. You do not know what the definition of tolerance is as you aren't using it properly. The questions you asked here were already addressed in the OP.

No where have we said you cannot debate or post criticism as long as it is context and kept free of personal attacks. No where in my posts have I called ISKCON evil, called it any names, and I never claimed that my experiences were the same for everyone. I simply described my personal experiences, included the experiences of some people I know who were involved with it, and also shared that there is some information out there such as books about it. I don't see how this contradicts our moderation policy. I am not slandering the organization. I am simply saying what my experiences have been which were mostly negative. I am not saying these are the case with everyone.

If you have experiences with the other organizations you have referred to, we don't have a problem with you debating and posting your criticism as long as they are also kept free from name-calling, personal attacks, and have some sort of foundation just like I have done with this thread here.

The rules simply state not to post bigotry or debate to the point of derailing threads and insulting others. No where have we said that you cannot post your disagreements. Sadly, as with the other thread it seems that one group simply "disagrees" while the other "insults." We believe disagreement and debate is fine as long as is based on some form of evidence (such as a personal experience) and not just out-of-context preaching and labeling.

You would know what the purpose of this thread was if you actually read it. It is titled "My experiences with ISKCON." No where does it say that I am supporting shutting it down. I encourage others to also post their experiences--positive and negative.

~BYS~

Where exactly have I not been tolerant here?

I have no idea what you are saying in the above paragraph. It doesn't even seem like a complete thought.

You are speaking words that are unintelligible. What on earth are you talking about? This is gibberish that doesn't even contain a complete thought. As to your last sentence, you are requesting that we have a debate with someone who is no longer alive.

I cannot converse with someone who isn't even stating complete thoughts. ~BYS~
    namaste,
    The post was addressed to me I think and the tolerance bit is related to the 'superiority complex' thread I started.

I ignored the post since it's not worth my time responding to it. Clearly, the poster is not on the same page as your OP or he has not taken the time to understand it. I couldn't say what it is for sure but in any case, I ignored his response as "normal iskcon support hand waving".
    satay

You are making alibis to divert attention away from the subject at hand. The topic of this thread isn't concerned about those other organizations. The topic is about ISKCON and you should not be trying excuse it by posting such alibis.
    I am seeing this often from BYS - ALIBI. However Shri Seeker really has missed out the post for which this reply was made was addressed to Shri Satayji as a reply to his general post taking no reference to ISKCON. Shri Satayji clearly made it, he is making his comment relating not only to ISKCON but general. While replying to a common reply covering all organisation, I do not need a person to tell me I am taking an ALIBI.

True, but you are still making excuses.
    Beg your pardon. Excuses and escapism are not part of my posting. Instead, I would like remind Shri Seeker about a person who has seen money laundering, drug addicts etc yet not informed law enforecement authorities on such events

One of the biggest excuse for unsupported fact in this kind of forum is - I SWEAR. I Swear I had seen it, I Swear I know it, I swear I read it, what else, How a person like Ramkish is going to object what verily known to one and only one, who swears there is money laundering, who swears few take service of others, who swears there are drug addicts; When it is said almost all organisations has such problems - again - I swear ramkish is making excuses.

Ask proof - the person who swears has nothing to offer but verily one more swear statement - GO AND SEE FOR YOURSELF, I SWEAR YOU WILL KNOW and adds further EVERY ONE KNOWS, they are still unaware I am also part of that every one, still I have not seen. Again, simple, Call me nonsense, etc, it will seem that point is proved

This is nothing but categorical hatered on a particular sect.

What is purpose of this thread - check for unaimed shoot outs. Every post that courts negative view on ISKCON is verily unsupported and there is great need of evidence. Make Allegations, Canvass people to make similar allegations , then what, where do we want to conclude this thread?

Just as you are telling us the "buyer beware" message, people also have the right to "blow the whistle" on a company that puts out a bad business deal.
    Please blow the whistle, but blow it with adequate support. File a police case if you had money laundering. Get IRS in action when you see major problem in accounts. WHERE IS THE ACTION? I see nothing. Merely come to this forum and make allegation, and feel as if some thing great is done on that. Yes, If someone hates ISKCON I have nothing to do with that but when someone make a compliant on criminal overt act, better we take up action with appropriate authorities. Negligence to take up shows 1 We do not adequately carry courage; 2 We do not have adequate proof and 3 We do not bother

Your last line is essentially supporting parasitic religion. The idea that everyone serve some big institution but that the institution has no obligation to serve those who are serving it.
    This is a dual standard and the main hidden statement is "When Shri Seeker makes a statement, it should be correct". When I make a statement saying one sect is parasitic, how do moderators treat this. I am not making a excuse or making alibi, but asking modertor BYS to take a look into what member BYS has said

Legally, if people donate their money to a non-profit organization, the organization has to spend the money in a way that will benefit the people donating it and in congruence with its mission.
    Benefit for whom? Legally If I donate and the organisation has to spend it to benefit me then it is not donation made by me but purchase of service made.

Money has to be spend on cause mentioned by the organisation. This includes running the organisation as such.

However, if the organization pockets half of the money and uses it on secretive escapades, that is not only unethical but it is illegal.
    More and more allegations. What is this escapade and what evidence do we carry for this

I am not saying ISKCON does this but essentially you are saying that we need to serve it without expecting it to serve us. If that is what you wish for, I assume you also believe that ISKCON should not be tax-exempt.
    That choice is yours. Not expecting an organisation to serve I am not sure how it is realted with Tax-Exempt. I suppose the intention of this query to tickle me for your assumption says I support ISKCON with my life and blood. Instead, I demand logic of your post

Request you to pls study the clauses pertaining to tax emempt organistion and take appropriate actions with IRS.

Sadly, there are key groups here which seem to take instead of serve--the management. There are books written on this stuff that describes the activities of the "takers" going on for decades.
    I cannot respond to communist ideologies, where in one says lower level worker is the one who really works and top management has nothing to do with work. One has to realise that if top management looses focus with day to day activities then very survival of the organisation is threatened. TOP MANAGEMENT SHOULD HAVE VISION.

While talking about religious organisation, one must understand what top management is actually doing

at least one person from the management or at least a live-in devotee take the time to answer basic questions to a newcomer or at the bare minimum at least acknowledge that a newcomer has walked through the door and greet them accoridingly. Note the word "basic."
    Seems you had not read my post. What you mean by Basic need not to be basic for me and for someone it could mastery.

I also getting a feeling you are not visiting other unknown organistions. A sheer problem when we are invited for marriage we do not expect a 5 start service in the marriage where in we related closely, still expect personal care in a mass like "Sunday Program". Does not that sounds funny, yes, still we insist. This is basic human instinct - When I need something whole world / organisation should divert so that my need should be fulfilled; where in when I am part of service, other should also consider I am also human and I have limitations

We do not know how to phrase our question & we are taking advice of wrong person inside the organisation. To support our errors, we declare, every person inside ISKCON should be a master so that organisation is always ready to handle queries and calls for help. I say this is utopia for a big organisation. Hence I made a call, show an organisation which is big enough as ISKCON and does manages to do this. AT this juncture, as per the BYS, I am taking Alibi, where in actually, the very person is taking Abili insisting of thing which is an utopia

It will not be complete thought unless BYS is otherwise known as Shri Satay. If both are different, BYS cannot make sense out of request put across to Shri Satay

You are speaking words that are unintelligible. What on earth are you talking about? This is gibberish that doesn't even contain a complete thought.
    "My idea is not only buyers beware but also, let us not ask for household provisions in a medical shop", is my statement. Request you point which part is unintelligible, gibberish etc so that I can clarify

YUP, how about donating a Million dollar to me

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    namaste,
    The post was addressed to me I think and the tolerance bit is related to the 'superiority complex' thread I started.

I ignored the post since it's not worth my time responding to it. Clearly, the poster is not on the same page as your OP or he has not taken the time to understand it. I couldn't say what it is for sure but in any case, I ignored his response as "normal iskcon support hand waving".
    Shri Satayji, Not with superiority complex thread, but it is about selling junk - I was interested in knowing what is that junk which ISKCON sells, how you manage to call it junk inspite of preaching tolerance

Ramkish, let us concentrate on Visishtadvaita thread pls

Quote Originally Posted by Jalasayanan
    Ramkish, let us concentrate on Visishtadvaita thread pls
    Oh, yes. Thanks for reminding

Thread Information